Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Graphics for new Carmageddon cockpits in 720p wanted!

When the mayhem started! And its expansion pack made by interns!
ManIkWeet
mechanic

Post by ManIkWeet »

I have also posted this on the CWA board: https://www.cwaboard.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9420

Hey there, I am working on modding Carmageddon to look/work great in 720p, or HD while keeping the original graphics style as much as possible.

I have stretched the old cockpit to fit the 720p resolution and thus it doesn't really look good... So now I am here looking for someone that is skilled enough to make a new 720p cockpit for the HD mod. I really don't know where else to find someone that likes/knows the game other than here so yeah... :X

You'll obviously get all the credits for the cockpit, just like hifi and Toshiba-3 for the high-resolution hack :)

The rules for the cockpit:

* Resolution: 1344x768 (That is 1280+64x720+48; those numbers are used for shake-effects)

* Colors: Preferably the default Carmageddon palette, with transparent being purple, if not I'll let Photoshop handle the conversion

* Hands: Because of game-limitations the hands will have to be baked in, thus resulting in (default 7) cockpit images with hands on/around the steering wheel

FAQ (Not actually asked, I made them up):
[Q] Why not make them for 1080p right away?
[A] The 1080p version runs A LOT slower, if you want you can make cockpits with 1984x1128 resolution, I'll scale them down

[Q] Why are the hands baked in?
[A] Sadly the default method of making a cockpit crashes the game when loading higher resolution images with certain filling (for whatever reason), the hands in the cockpit however can have any resolution with any filling

[Q] Are there some ingame images I can use as a reference?
[A] Yes, right here: http://imgur.com/Y00FgO8,OIVgwF3,azKudjh,SwwSiUb,m9tzEwT,QUNxjC6,ejejB7G,gdGjYFW,KBfO0CJ,UCf7dSC,T696Mh7

[Q] Why are the APO bars floating there?
[A] Sadly, they are hardcoded (but maybe they can be HEX-Edited?)

[Q] Do you need sideways cockpits?
[A] Not at the moment, I haven't tested it but I fear higher resolutions will crash it, and there is no "hands workaround"

[Q] What performance are you getting?
[A] In a 5 minute benchmark, I get Min38,Max64,Avg46.457 using unoptimized images; I get Min39,Max74,Avg51.877 when using optimized images

[Q] Optimized images, how do I make them?
[A] You don't have to, I will make them as it's fairly complicated cutting/slicing of the image :)

If you want, show me what you got! :D
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

So what do you do? Maybe you should show us what you've got first.
hazardic
motorised death

Post by hazardic »

ManIkWeet wrote:
I have stretched the old cockpit to fit the 720p resolution and thus it doesn't really look good... So now I am here looking for someone that is skilled enough to make a new 720p cockpit for the HD mod. I really don't know where else to find someone that likes/knows the game other than here so yeah... :X

to me, the stretched eagle cockpit looks quite good enough - in fact, distorted geometry seems not right, but at least it's original and looking now at those pictures, i can't get feeling that smth wrong with it - it looks so familiar an appropriate. as i may see, you have done work with cockpit damage highligts and in fact cockpit is fully functional except the stretched form. so i have a question - do you have plans to release fully operational stretched cocpits as is or you want to make them absolutely sweet and only after that to release?
ManIkWeet
mechanic

Post by ManIkWeet »

CoffeyCup wrote:So what do you do? Maybe you should show us what you've got first.

I cut the image so it works with Carmageddon, just throwing the image instead of the original cockpit crashes the game so I convert it to use the hands images, the "hands" however are drawn last meaning all the other elements get hidden behind it.

I cut the cockpit so that the other elements can poke through.

Other elements I speak about: Timer, Tacho, Gear, Pratcam, Mirror etc etc etc

Example of fully optimized images here:
http://imgur.com/6lQmrxm,xZsPtqi,IPxMUuu,NRXSfwU,nvpsNl3,ebcpC6R,n1SPtBu,82ZTFYp,OexdzAc

hazardic wrote:
to me, the stretched eagle cockpit looks quite good enough - in fact, distorted geometry seems not right, but at least it's original and looking now at those pictures, i can't get feeling that smth wrong with it - it looks so familiar an appropriate. as i may see, you have done work with cockpit damage highligts and in fact cockpit is fully functional except the stretched form. so i have a question - do you have plans to release fully operational stretched cocpits as is or you want to make them absolutely sweet and only after that to release?

Mainly the steering wheel isn't round-shaped anymore, I can release the other existing cockpits in stretched form, but I will have to make them first :)

In my opinion the exact look & feel of the original cockpit should stay, but without the opvious pixelated/stretchyness... But as soon as I touch a pixel it looks horrible :)

Check who’s online