Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Hatred - The pink view

For everything that doesn't belong elsewhere.
Mad_Maxine
Pink

Hatred - The pink view

Post by Mad_Maxine »

So Ok, Im going to try and be serious here.. for just a little while,

Im going to talk about this game because it kinda ties into psychology.. wich interests me, and the way people think, so if you dont want to listen to me babble on about, people, the way they think, and blatantly categorize people then.. skip this topic?

I first saw this game and pretty much wrote it off as something I wouldent like, it seemed to be trying to hard, and looked like it would lack any.. Fun, the main thing I play games for.

But then I kept coming across it from time to time, and kinda grew a mental picture of what kind of people would enjoy it (ofcorse this was just my imagination and I know not One type of person would play a game) but its still... Intresting to take a look.

So here is what the panic scare mongering people have to say:

Please note these are not MY words but me simply repeating things ive heard around the internet, in videos etc.

Hatred will ruin the gaming industry

Hatred will cause mass shootings

Hatred will cause some kinda of backlash making censorship in everything stronger

well Im not the only one thinking 'well thats a bit silly' now am I? Going on past experiances and just knowing the public, and gamers, heres my theory on what is going to happen.

Hatred will be released, some people will buy it, lots will complain, peope will brag about being imoral.. and nothing in the world will change.

how do I know this? well... at one point Grand Theft Auto was the great evil of the wold.. and now days apart from. some over the top parent gorups, feminists, church fanatics, and the people who otherwise complain about everything ever made by humans, Nobody really cares about how Immoral that game is

'But immoral how max?'

well, in GTA you profit from bad things, You steal cars, Murder people and get rich, thats pretty much how it goes, The only diffrence here is hatred seems to be playing one a Particularly sensitive subject at the moment of mass shootings

I have personally dubed it the 'Mass shooting simulator' wich seems to have disgruntled some of the fans when I mentioned it, who acused me of being some kind of over protective soccer mom.

'So what you are a soft gamer now?'

well.. Yes? I play farm simulator, I love nothing more than taking care of other cretures, I love. cars and driving in a non distructive manner, I love creation and building... But that dosent ean I cant like the other stuff too. I mean I play carmageddon and GTA both of wich are fairly distructive games. and I do destroy in real life too. I actully got a strange amount of plesure from physically destroying a PC that had caused me nothing but issues for years. but.. Im getting off topic...

so yes, I play GTA, I play carma wich kinda half the point of that is to run down innocent bystanders, and other simler games, Does this mean Ill like hatred? well no. Ill explain why I really dont think ill like the game and then talk about the kind of peopel ive seen praising it.

Why wont I like it?

well hatred seems to be an open world-ish game from a top down third.. person-ey view? I dont know what you call it, its not top down I know.. but yeah this..

the reson It looks bad to me is... well it takes all the parts I dont like out of games, and puts them into one. so Ill quickly go over the list right here.

1. Character,

I disslike the character, he looks like the brain child of an angry forum member who would have an evil looking dark haired anime cahracter as an avatar

'This guy has long black hair, a big long coat, talks in a deep voice, and kills everyone' you know its just.. Trying too hard and theres Way too many cliches so it kinda looks like a teenage emo designed the game.

2. The theam

Kill everyone because you are pissed off at life, Ok well sometimes people kill on GTA, and peopel kill on carma, but this is just Hey, theres some bystanders, shoot them. jsut cause, Cause as much death and misory as possible. and while carmageddon manages to do this in a fun way hatred jsut comes across as being tastless and, Shock value type of thing, and I cant help feeling its jsut Shock value for the sake of it, Some people compare it to the oringal postal. I havent played that yet but if its jsut murder people for the sake of murdering people I probly wont be intrested..

3. Gameplay

Heres where I stand on this, the gameplay takes everything boring about a game like GTA or Saints Row, and puts them into a game,

you know those people who start up the game, Run outside with a machine gun, start shooting everything they see untill they eventully get killed, Rinse and repeat for the next 4 years. well that looks like hatred, Im the kind of person who would get Very bored of this gameplay Very quickly because it dosent really offer.. anything..

4. Atmosphere of the game

It just takes its self Way too seriusly, Its dark, Woo, Grimey, Woo, and looks like it has no humor. and thats the issue, Not all good games are funny, and not all funny games are good, but a game about just shooting people, that takes its self so seriusly too, is just so very dry. Me and my freinds have had hours of fun screwing around on GTA, laughing at the stupid things that happen in a semi-realistic game that still offers plenty of random laughs, hatred just looks like.. Shoot people, shoot more people, you died try again. I hope you people can understand what Im getting at with this bit and im not trying to bash the game apart totally I just dont think its a very good concept, and its pulled off poorley.

I hope to be plesently surprised, but those are my resons, I might try this game at some point, if I ever get lent it, or it apears on steam for like 50 cents or ya know -cough- the other thing.... but It just dosent seem for me.

Why did I make this topic then? well I just wanted to talk about it since Ive seen the hype on some sites, and the hate on others. and as ive allready stated, I feel its going to be one of those games, everyones furius with for a while, some of the people who buy it will only do so because of how 'badass' they are for being so immoral (thats not ALL people who buy it just to clarify) some people will go crazy at it, calling it an immoral stain that will ruin childrens innocents, nothing will change, and we will all forget and be mad at something else in a few years.

So there ya go, Loved by pretend badasses, Hated by over protective suburbanites,

My questiosn to you,

1. Do you plan on getting this game? If so why, what apeals to you?

2. Why is this game picked on because of the negative things it shows, theres plenty of worse games, portraying racisem, sexisem, homophobia, etc, Is hatred just an easy target?

3. People who brag about kills on games, why do they do that? ive often seen things on fourms about peoples civilian kill counts, bragging about there thousends of kills. is it just to try look edgy or what?

4. You dont hate me now do you?.. Dont hate me!

thank you for reading this, just so you know im not against hatred its self (to me its just another dul game) Im against the 'Im a badass so I play games like this' people who see to be promoting this, ive seen hatefull people, and even a nazi promote this game, wich I cant help think will stain its image.. and maybe allready has with me? kinda.. .like how I am with audis ya know..

so have a nice day, feel free to write your opinions, or contridict my opinions,

Heres a picture of a golf coverd in butterflys and flowers to end with,
FatCat
mindless

Hatred - The pink view

Post by FatCat »

Dark Hair

Guns

Broody

Trenchcoat

Dark environments

Except that it had a gimmick to not make it totally a cliche.

Demons and superpowers
Epitaph
motorised death

Hatred - The pink view

Post by Epitaph »

Well, you are wrong in one thing :

You've judged the game before you played it.

I remember back in the day when Carma i/II were released -and i know, i've said this story a few times-, my then 15-16 year old cousin came into a party at our house and we were playing Carmageddon II constantly. So she saw it, and said "ooooow, this is such an evil game...i mean why would you wanna mow down peds and kill people?".

Of course she said all that in Greek. And it's something she only saw in the news. Presenting it all evil and black.

Now when she played it, her opinion changed in half an hour. she said she was wrong and admitted that "in the news they were only showing the dark side of things".

I know you, didn't base your opinion in comments of news editors, but you should wait and play the game first.

For paragraph 3 about gameplay:

Yes to me it seems too like this is mindless and boring gameplay, but hey, Postal had the same gameplay (well for the most part), but people loved Postal, didn't they?

As for the similarities (if any) with anime characters, well i think you're too prejudiced, and i don't think i'm gonna change your mind.

It seems to me like, everyone character that has long hair, a clean face and wears long leather jackets is like an anime character.

I can't adopt the same opinion and i'll just leave these 2 things here :

I plan on watching/reading reviews and buying this on a 50% sale. or more. Well a year after it's released. I got so many other things to play till then.
Psyrgery
speed freak

Hatred - The pink view

Post by Psyrgery »

It's just Postal on steroids.

If Carmageddon didn't change the world, then this oh-so-edgy game won't either
Max is back. Let there be blood and motor oil
Mad_Maxine
Pink

Hatred - The pink view

Post by Mad_Maxine »

Psyrgery:

heh I know it qont, thats why I said I dont think it will make a diffrenc to anything, but people will still try blame it for violance, but as I did point out, some people really think its going to hurt the gaming industry... wwich Ireally dont think I will.

Epitaph:

You missunderstand, I dident say he was like an anime character, Im just saying everyone ive seen prazing this game to hell, has a dark long haired, trenchcoat wearing 'badass' anime character as there avatar, and brags about how many people theyve killed in GTA, Im kinda pointing out that the people who really like the game seem to be trying too hard to look edgy, just like the game does, thats all,

and yes ive judged the game before ive played it, but from the trailer it looks like the same thing over and over, with no deviation no experimentation or room for 'fun'

Fatcat:

uh never played that, I guess you dont massacare humans, thus it got no midia time, still I did see a preview in a gaming magazine once, it was pretty much, demons, guns dark, hey look boobs, mafia, or something.
KakkaHousu
speed freak

Hatred - The pink view

Post by KakkaHousu »

Mad_Maxine wrote:from a top down third.. person-ey view? I dont know what you call it, its not top down I know.. but yeah this..

It's Isometric view

I'm not going to buy Hatred. Like you said there is no any idea in it. It's only selling point is shock value. Shock value is easiest way to make something popular. Snuff, exploitation movie from 1976 is known still today even if it's very crappy movie on every standards. Only selling point of it was claim that woman was killed for real on film. That movie caused hystery and created urban legend of snuff movies but those are it's only merits. It is still crappy movie no matter how much it have shock value. It can't use it's shock value to produce anything more than crap movie, it is not fun, it doesn't emotionally move, it actually is not even discusting because that famous ending scene is so poorly made. Hatred is like Snuff.

I compare Carmageddon for John Waters's movies. Those doesn't really have shock value because shock value sells but just for the love of bad taste. Those give you good laughs if you just have right kind of sense of humour. I put here quote from JW that can apply for Hatred.

John Waters wrote:It's easy to disgust someone; I could make a ninety-minute film of people getting their limbs hacked off, but this would only be bad bad taste and not very stylish or original.

Bad taste is way better than completely tasteless.
Espyo
road raged psycho

Hatred - The pink view

Post by Espyo »

I don't think this game will change anything because nobody really takes it seriously. It's the epitome of wacky edgy, so the only people who will give it any importance or deeper meaning are soccer moms.
I'm Espyo from the Carmageddon Wiki!
I'm currently working on a Pikmin fan engine.
skyNET
turbo bastard

Hatred - The pink view

Post by skyNET »

2. Why is this game picked on because of the negative things it shows, theres plenty of worse games, portraying racisem, sexisem, homophobia, etc, Is hatred just an easy target?

3. People who brag about kills on games, why do they do that? ive often seen things on fourms about peoples civilian kill counts, bragging about there thousends of kills. is it just to try look edgy or what?

1- I'm getting it. Eventually. It appeals to me because as Psyrgery said: "It's Postal on steroids." Damn I loved that game so much, I finished it from start to end on hardest difficulty, using the basic peashooter only. And I also liked this game - altough it was not about violence, it's still very graphic (Frank Castle 4 Lyfe). Its like the two just had a lovechild. From time to time, I feel that I can vent stress only with mindless, virtual violence. Maybe I'm sick and should see a doctor.

2. It's picked upon because it portrays ultra-violence in a naturalistic manner + allegedly it was taken off from Greenlight then Gabe Newell apologised for the "mistake" (sound like a marketing stunt fo rme). It's just too much for some people.

3. That's their e-peen. They are Males who want to become Alphas, and for that they need a type of e-peen to grow and become bigger.

4. I don't hate you. Me liek u.
Ka-Boom
hit n run

Hatred - The pink view

Post by Ka-Boom »

lmao this game tries too hard

My questiosn to you,

Honestly, no.

Because is too ridiculous and got mainstream attention.

Probably basement dwellers.

I don't hate you. You're cool.
stygimoloch
motorised death

Hatred - The pink view

Post by stygimoloch »

Nah. Setting aside all the controversy and stuff, it just doesn't look particularly engaging or well made.

2. Why is this game picked on because of the negative things it shows?

From what I've read, the issue with Hatred is that it's specifically *not* about mass murder, but about genocide. That the devs are far-right nutters with Nazi connections and the game isn't about killing indiscriminately, it's about killing very specific types of people the devs disapprove of. Is that all true? Iunno. I don't really care about this game enough to find out.

3. People who brag about kills on games, why do they do that?

Because 3EDGY5U!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKSJN3WWR3E

Nope, not at all. Always thought you seemed pretty cool tbh.
Wilbur Cobb
mechanic

Hatred - The pink view

Post by Wilbur Cobb »

The thing about Hatred is that if you were to look past the trivialities of 'gameplay' and the fact it's about 'controversially' killing thousands of probably innocent civilians, all you'll find yourself looking at is a mess of poor quality and buggy clipping. Look at the trailer (Or don't, whatever) and only pay attention to the little things, the little things that set people off in the first place; see, the reason why this hit so many nerves of censorship-wankers and soccer mums is because of how 'realistic' and 'true' the killings are behind it, there's ALWAYS been killing and gruesome death in videogames and only the high-detail gruesomeness is/was ever really shown into the public eye and slandered on Fox news, take Carma for perfect example, in comparison to say, Iunno, Contra. No one really bothered with Contra because whenever you killed someone, they'd just disappear (well, more accurately pop but, ya'know, it's not like limbs flew into all directions and blood splattered the textures) whereas Carma had in-depth sprites dedicated to corpses of casual every-day-folk, effects and replays that allow you to review the abominable wreckage, they had detail and let you place the camera right up to the carcass and stare into the face of a dead guy, with his/her eyes wide open and blood still slowly pouring out the nose and into the mouth, as the rest of the body lays ever so leisurely in it's out porridge of filth and bleeding-... I lost my train of thought.

Where was I? Oh yeah, the point I was getting to, was it really simulated a horrible murder or be extremely hyper-realistic about mutilated bodies.

Hatred just doesn't have that, it just doesn't, it feels lazy, it's obvious it tries to sell itself solely on how 'brutal' and 'realistically morbid' it is, but it really isn't. Examples!

• At 1:05, he point-blank shoots someone in the skull, blowing off his head... Just... Like, not even that, sending it to a completely separate dimension we can't visually fathom! Where does his head go! Nowhere, that's where! I'm not even going to begin yammering on about how he's one-arming a shotgun and brushes of the recoil like a mosquito just flew into his arm, how his entire forearm hasn't flown up into his shoulder baffles me. I mean, the gun was powerful enough to literally execute and diminish individual particles of bone, and yet had the recoil of a fricken' Super Soaker!

• Another one at about 1:13, do they really expect me to believe you could shoot someone in the mouth, no less, and have the head not even fly back into the concrete! I mean come on! it's a simple handgun, not weak enough to bounce off your skin, not piercing enough to go right through the skin in a clean, sharp fashion, it's just pathetic on an animation aspect, to say the least. Not even that, she had her arms out like it meant nothing, if you were moments away from death, do you really think you'd just sit there thinking, "Whelp, I had a good run, ohwell, my fault for going out tonight"? No, you wouldn't! You'd be flailing your arms around, trying to pry his gun away from you! And even then, the voice acting there was terrible, the first please was so soft and lazy, it sounds like she was half asleep! No one would be that tired in that situation, human instincts don't allow that shit!

• The point above me actually makes a great follow-up point, no one seems to be fighting all that hard during the execution animations! I mean, sure a few of them started off already stabbed once or twice so those are reasonable, it's amazing how some people seem to lose some energy after extreme blood loss but that's only, like 1/3 of the deaths they shown. It's almost as if these people all want to die, I guess I would to if my entire purpose was to be reproduced over and over again to be 'savagely' killed, but I digress

We were only given about a minute and a half to view the supposed 'highlights' of the game and even then I found so much inaccurate crap that when really thought about, the whole perspective just seems silly, almost comedic, depending on what your humour revolves around, but seeing as how this is the Carmageddon forums, I don't think it'd be a crime to make a presumed guess.

That's just the inaccuracy of it all, there's more than just that, unfortunately.

The whole 'black and white' thing just seems to be the most ironic choice they could've made for it, it's been done so many times before! ( I say so many times but all I could think of off the fly is Betrayer. Sue me)

The ironic thing about is they managed to use the worst, and I mean WORST choice of setting for a black-and-white style game! It's fine (I guess, if it were still 2010) for an artistic angle but this... Ugh... I just...

The blood! Okay! It's the blood! The black and white combined with blood splatter on the screen makes it all like your monitor has dead pixels everywhere! There! I said it!

How could these people have missed that! It's not like the black and white schtick's doing it much good in the first place, seems more like a liability than an asset, I understand it's there to demonstrate the whole "Life is meaningless and the world is grey. I'm so sad" theme that it tries to incorporate but the whole thing is so over-shadowed by everything else about it, it almost seems redundant.

So

1. No, I won't be getting it, at most, I'll go to a friends' house who does own it so I may play it and rant on about it even further the entire time but no more than that.

2. Honestly, I think it's picked on because right-wings (or left-wings? I understand very little about american politics, or any politics for that matter)

got bored, it's human nature to go further in all aspects and controversy in videogames is just that, an aspect. There'll always be something the soccer mums will complain about in videogames, just as at the same time, videogames will get subjectively worse and worse. Same applies for movies and even paintings, we're just having a dry state in the long alley way of games that were on the news. I'm sure the next controversial game will be really, really dirty to make up for this ones' laziness.

3. I assume they aren't bragging about kills in games, they're bragging about how long they can go playing really, really boring repetitive games, like WoW!

4. Sure, why not?

Well, that's enough of that.

Here's this;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHO8XtQZLFc
skyNET
turbo bastard

Hatred - The pink view

Post by skyNET »

The thing that this game already made some to post essays (not just on these forums), shows that the marketing is a success. They made you talk about it. They made you think about it. They made you to make up your mind, to take a "point" (based on a few minutes shown to you), and argue for/against it. It has already gone viral, and like it or not, it's here to stay.

@mr. Wilbur Cobb

I see what your gripes are. But then again - IRL arguments in video games is dubious. I doubt the developers said that it's "realistic", ultra-violence is never realistic, actually that's the point of it. For example: any slasher flicks, the Saw and Hostel series, to name a few ultra-violent movies (some say it's horror porn, or gore porn).

Black-and-white with red gore is there to emphasize the latter even more, imo. Liking or disliking it is presonal preference; Sin City (movie and comics) showed how this artistic tool can create a truly vibrant atmosphere.

Saying that you won't get it, but go to a friend and rant about it while playing is a bit of a hypocritical standpoint; why would you do so if you're not curious about what you will see? You wouldn't spend your money to spend time on this at home, but at a friend is it okay?

@Mad_Maxine

A late question. What is this "mental picture of what kind of people would enjoy it"? Can you expand on this? What kind of people would enjoy it?
Mad_Maxine
Pink

Hatred - The pink view

Post by Mad_Maxine »

Thank you all for seemingly thoughtfull answers and such :P I like to get people thinking, well it seems like nobody really cares eaither way and its just becoming another game. so yeah.

Mental picture? uhh, I dunno its just everytime I see someone going on about how awsome this game is, and I stop and just make a comment saying 'I dunno looks kinda repetative just killing' they go into rage mode and tell me im some kinda anti violant soccer mom hippie. so all im saying really is the people who try Really really hard to defend this games 'awsomeness' all seem to be badass try hards, who brag about innocent kills in games, and talk about how much they hate the world... thats why it kinda came to the image of being an emo game.

anyway to the rest, again thanks for the deeper look into things, Its not like im secretly promoting this game, its just this is a good opertunity to actully look at psycology here, Sure this game wont make people go on mass genocides, but will probly bore the hell out of some, wich makes me think, I wonder if this game will be a sucess? or if it will totally flop if too many people complain about the gameplay.. weve hardly seen any of it.

also I like the idea of you sitting at a freinds ranting about games.. heh I havea freind like that, done it ever since we was kids.
skyNET
turbo bastard

Hatred - The pink view

Post by skyNET »

Mad_Maxine wrote:
Mental picture? uhh, I dunno its just everytime I see someone going on about how awsome this game is, and I stop and just make a comment saying 'I dunno looks kinda repetative just killing' they go into rage mode and tell me im some kinda anti violant soccer mom hippie. so all im saying really is the people who try Really really hard to defend this games 'awsomeness' all seem to be badass try hards, who brag about innocent kills in games, and talk about how much they hate the world... thats why it kinda came to the image of being an emo game.
Hm. People defending a game furiously when someone tells them "it's shit" are fanboys - even if you are polite and use other words; essentially you only have to disagree on something. This behavior is nondescript of the remainder of the playerbase, one can enjoy a game without being a fanboy. I thought you came to the conclusion that people liking this (Hatred; or just mindless violence) are suffering from functional sociopathy or something like that.

And no, it can't be an emo game. Emos want to hurt themselves, not other people :D
DZimmy
hit n run

Hatred - The pink view

Post by DZimmy »

Too long, didn't read.

Any of you pre-ordered?

EDIT: I've read it. What should I say? It's just a game. TBH the game sickens me, feels disturbing and bad. And that's why I pre-ordered. Because people are nsturally attracted to this kind of things.

And about clishes and silliness? It is. But it's just a game and it's up to you if you consider it serious or silly. It's up to you if you are going to join the "game".
farellfoxx
driver

Hatred - The pink view

Post by farellfoxx »

This is starting to remind me of the state of horror film in the modern day. Shock/jump-scare filled; hour long 'life wasters', without any 'flair', or style. Even 'retro' films are the same.

There is an analogy here... A shoddily similar 'production effort' went to this game; and it shows. I look at it; and I don't even scroll down; I just move on with my life!

(Why don't they add necrophilia to the weapon list? It can't get any worse; right?) People over-react anyway...

There are other points that I could go into; but I'm probably done with my 'Two-cents'.
FunnyOctopus
aka Privata

Hatred - The pink view

Post by FunnyOctopus »

farellfoxx wrote:This is starting to remind me of the state of horror film in the modern day. Shock/jump-scare filled; hour long 'life wasters', without any 'flair', or style. Even 'retro' films are the same.

There is an analogy here... A shoddily similar 'production effort' went to this game; and it shows. I look at it; and I don't even scroll down; I just move on with my life!

(Why don't they add necrophilia to the weapon list? It can't get any worse; right?) People over-react anyway...

There are other points that I could go into; but I'm probably done with my 'Two-cents'.

I agree to an extent , know please everyone dont be offended by my unpopular opinion : It could be more sick , mass murder with no context is evil in real like and just silly in a video game , however rape is the worst for me. as you not only objectify a women (or man) and then tear the mental health out of them , making them just an empty shell.

For me its like this ;

Murder in a game is about the thrill of something you cant do , either for the combat , the thrills , the excitement , the lolz (like carma) or social revenge (say bullied when you were a kid?)

But rape I dont get , if you live in a fantasy video game world why go the extra mile to add the fear , anguish and sufferance to the table when you could make it just pleasure.

also another difference is murder is often faceless and random or personal and motivated (there are other types as well)

but a rape IS personal and pure evil.

I believe that both behaviors are bad in real life more so rape than murder but both are allmost on par.

however if you like either types of games , I will not judge you as I think we all play violent ped smashing games here but we are not evil in real life (mostly ;p)
Mad_Maxine
Pink

Hatred - The pink view

Post by Mad_Maxine »

I forgot I made this topic, hm, I still am very intrested in game psycology tho, or any psycology really.

If any of you guys get the game youll have to tell us about it here, I still cant tell if its going to be postal like, or if its going to be a badly made mess, the problem with developers I dont know of I guess.. hm.
FunnyOctopus
aka Privata

Hatred - The pink view

Post by FunnyOctopus »

Mad_Maxine wrote:I forgot I made this topic, hm, I still am very intrested in game psycology tho, or any psycology really.

If any of you guys get the game youll have to tell us about it here, I still cant tell if its going to be postal like, or if its going to be a badly made mess, the problem with developers I dont know of I guess.. hm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWKSopTFf2U

turns out the games is more than harmless , its not really gory and it dosent seem to take it self seriously at all... to be honest that's what I was expecting...

Check who’s online