Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

GOG version and Steam version of C2 doesnt run any more.

The greatest unfinished sequel ever!
starbuck
kill boss

Post by starbuck »

Last week the game ran fine. One day it didnt run fine so I found a vanilla resolution to run the operating system on and it worked for a day.

Now it wont run again. Tried uninstalling and installing. different resolutions, and different compatibility modes and nothing.

All I get is a little blue circle and then it runs in the background. And I cant find the background to switch it to including ALT TAB. Some times I wait for two whole minutes and nothing.
Espyo
road raged psycho

Post by Espyo »

How weird. If you have save files, try deleting those.
I'm Espyo from the Carmageddon Wiki!
I'm currently working on a Pikmin fan engine.
starbuck
kill boss

Post by starbuck »

Many people on the net have had this happen with varying versions of Windows. I can run C1 3dfx no problem and yet nothing I do can solve the issue.

Tried running Direct3D. Same issue.

EDIT running that "Vanilla" carma seems to work. It must be those glide drivers are getting outdated.

Whats weird is the original game installed from CD with the "Vista patch" works fine. But if you use that Carma2_hw file in the GOG directory or the Steam directory it wont work.

I see a lot of refunds in their future.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Probably the path to the executable that's just too long. It happens now and then.
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
starbuck
kill boss

Post by starbuck »

Toshiba-3 wrote:Probably the path to the executable that's just too long. It happens now and then.
No thats not it. Couldnt play it from a plain old C:\C2 directory. Trust me I spent a week looking it up on the web. I saw this response from you elsewhere.

Sent a support issue saying it worked fine last week and details on what the problem was that was happening. The tech support guy said "What do you mean it was working fine ? And old games tend to no longer work anymore" and sent me to the forum and closed the case. Whole bunch of other BS. I even told him this happened in Window 8.1 and also since I upgraded to Windows 10. He also said what did I different to my computer.

I said "You mean the upgrade that I mentioned I did? How about the fact I already said I purchased the STEAM version of the game that is supposed to run on Windows Vista and above ?" I linked the page and told him he might want to actually read what Steam games are. I told him in the original email that I can EASILY run the original game on my PC cause it works perfectly.

Its something with the glide drivers I am sure cause I copied the old executable over and it still would not run from that directory. Cant even get the choice main menu to show up.

Whats weird is anything like zechensack Glidewrapper configurator wont even run from that folder , it just runs in the background.

Here is to hoping the official windows 10 will run it.
starbuck
kill boss

Post by starbuck »

OK got A working version of the program.

I used the regular C2 game install. Applied the Win Vista patch. Then copied the files from the NGlide install over to that directory.

I tested it at high resolution and it worked.

Sadly though that a lot of GOG and Steam games that use the same format dont work no more. Or at least are running in the background.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

The "Vista" patch is not a Vista patch, just the old v1.1 cracked executable (some addons won't work with that version). If your game works with it, it should work with the v2 patch..?

I have Win 10 since the start of the developper preview and both C1 and C2 work. Steam and GOG installs do as well but you might have to remove wsock32.dll and/or winmm.dll from the root directory.

I use my Vanilla C2 pack + GOG V3 patch (without the aforementioned DLLs) + nGlide/dgVoodoo2, and from a C:\VanillaC2 folder.

But yeah, C2 has a history of not-working-all-of-sudden-for-no-apparent-reason.
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
starbuck
kill boss

Post by starbuck »

Toshiba-3 wrote:The "Vista" patch is not a Vista patch, just the old v1.1 cracked executable (some addons won't work with that version). If your game works with it, it should work with the v2 patch..?

I have Win 10 since the start of the developper preview and both C1 and C2 work. Steam and GOG installs do as well but you might have to remove wsock32.dll and/or winmm.dll from the root directory.

I use my Vanilla C2 pack + GOG V3 patch (without the aforementioned DLLs) + nGlide/dgVoodoo2, and from a C:\VanillaC2 folder.

But yeah, C2 has a history of not-working-all-of-sudden-for-no-apparent-reason.

I am tired and hungry. Tried removing the wsock32.dll only and it didnt work. Will try the others later. Trust me I got a ton of patches stored around.

I only used the words Vista patch for name only. Today I saw a post on Steam of you saying the same thing :). Pisses me off cause I got at least 5 GOG games that dont run no more.

And C1 3dfx works perfectly fine. Always has. Played that for an hour just to let out frustrations. I am not worried about C2 right now since I can run the regular version at high res but now I am noticing a lot of games stopped working all of a sudden. XWing, Tie Fighter, XWing vs Tie. Got the old versions of those too, so might try running those. Thank god I dont throw anything away. :)
starbuck
kill boss

Post by starbuck »

Good Catch Toshiba. Before I removed the winsock.dll. that didnt work.

But deleting the winsock.dll AND the winmm.dll solved it immediately.

I only read that removing the winsock.dll would solve the problem. Thanks.

Remember that in the future :)

Removing any files like that in XWing and Tie fighter also solved the problem. You are a life saver.

Check who’s online