Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Re-release of Splat Pack?

When the mayhem started! And its expansion pack made by interns!
svenskmand
driver

Post by svenskmand »

Is there any chance that the Splat Pack, but also C1 and C2 would be re-released in a updated version that can run on modern OS'es?

That would be awesome :)
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Well, when you look at this topic: http://carmageddon.com/forum/topic/337, it doesn't need much more to run on modern systems!

What would be really great is an official re-issue of C1 + SP melt together if you see what I mean, using that DDRAW emulator etc. A bit like all those releases on Steam etc. using Dosbox. This way we are sure to be playing the original thing. Also they could actually sort out all the unused ressources from the game. There's like 35% of the files that aren't used (come from earlier builds of the game).

Now I wonder if they have the rights to publish the games?
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
svenskmand
driver

Post by svenskmand »

I already run C1 on DOSBox, it runs ok, but a bit choppy at times, but does not own the Splat Pack :S and it is impossible to buy, at least in my contry. But when you have the IP and source code a little hacking to making it mature for modern OS'es would not be a problem.

Now the real problems begins with C2 as it does not run in DOS so DOSBox is a no go. I have managed to get it to run on Win 7, but the awesome sound track is not playing. I will try C2 on Wine as it has a platinum rating, but it would be allot easier to just rebuy the games in a more modern version, and then also get the Splat Pack :)

Thanks for the links :)
Mr.Deviance
speed freak

Post by Mr.Deviance »

They could ask GOG.com to fix it for them and resell it for them.
Gandorques
mechanic

Post by Gandorques »

Nell Barden mentioned in this Interview, that they dont mind copying the games anymore.

So maybe we can bother them to release C1, C-SP and C2 as Freeware, and release the Source code (new Thread to bother the Devs for the Source Code?).

With this the Community can add new Features to the game and Port it to other Platforms.

I would like to see a Freeware release with C1 and Splat Pack merged together, like the Meld Pack, but without Bugs.
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Post by Razor »

What's the point in Stainless re-releasing the games as freeware when you can get them for free from Warez/Torrent sites (you even mentioned yourself about what nobby said.)

The modding community for this series has already dismantled both C1 and C2 as much as possible. You can edit pretty much every aspect of the game as it is anyway, I can't see why releasing the source code would be a viable option. (we would be able to get rid of those bastard blue bars in C2 though.)
[ Razor @ Carmageddon Webmasters Alliance Network ] [ My Downloads ] [ My Carma Items ] [ Conversion lists ]
To download the BETA Mod and more information on my other work, visit me @ https://razor.cwaboard.co.uk
matt
im new, be gentle

Post by matt »

*cough* check what un-sanctioned goodies may be found in me chest, landlubbers *cough*
svenskmand
driver

Post by svenskmand »

Having the source code is essential to remove bugs in the code and improve it and yes there is plenty of stuff to work on, just to mention a few: fix the netcode for C1 (the netcode seems to be completely broken it lags even in LAN, SP seems to work fine thought :S) make the netcode run on tcp/ip, make native support for Windows 7, Windows XP, Linux, Mac OS whatever, improved renderes (maybe add some shaders and other stuff, think quake tenebrea but for C1+SP and C2).

Having the source code will prolong the old games life by many decades more than they have left now, that is for sure.

matt@ that will surely make life allot easier to help people make the game run. Now we can just zip the game a publish it here then people can use it. Now more combersome guides on how to make a working install and tweaking to get the game to work from scratch (i.e. only having the CD).

So in short: release the source code and we will all be happy :D
Gandorques
mechanic

Post by Gandorques »

@svenskmand:

Exactly what I wanted to say! (I just didnt had the time to write it down,) =D

Can anyone with good writing and argumenting Skills open up a thread where we can bother Stainless for releasing the Source Code of the Games? (or is there already one? Did anyone find the search button yet?)
matt
im new, be gentle

Post by matt »

svenskmand wrote:Having the source code is essential to remove bugs in the code and improve it and yes there is plenty of stuff to work on, just to mention a few: fix the netcode for C1 (the netcode seems to be completely broken it lags even in LAN, SP seems to work fine thought :S) make the netcode run on tcp/ip, make native support for Windows 7, Windows XP, Linux, Mac OS...
I've been hearing that a lot and I don't really agree. Hifi's work on Carmanet DLL shows that this isn't the case. Sure it will make like easier, but it's not essential by any stretch. We're better off working with what we've got (as we are now) than waiting for something that almost certainly wouldn't happen for a long time, if it was to ever happen at all. Everyone asking, redirect your efforts, we could make some more tangible killer progress rather than just pipe dreaming and petitioning.
svenskmand
driver

Post by svenskmand »

Since Stainless does not mind copying of the games (C1, SP and C2) then I do not see any problem in releasing the source code (and I mean only the code, the content could remain closed, the code is the important part).

And I have recently been playing around with the original C1 and SP and it seems to me that the netcode for C1 is completely broken, it lags even on LAN, whereas SP does not at all, it runs perfect.

Also I do not think Stainless would mind releasing the source given that they are in contact with a guy who is rewriting C1 from scratch totally open source they should apparently be positive about what he is doing. So that would indicate that a source release would be a possibility.
svenskmand
driver

Post by svenskmand »

matt wrote:Hifi's work on Carmanet DLL shows that this isn't the case.

I have still not seen it work, or got any confirmation that it works. The times I have tried it there where no games in the game list, and given the number of people in here the reason is either 1) not enough knows how to make the game run or 2) the DLL and game is still not bug-less enough for it to work decent. Which of the two it is I do not know.
matt
im new, be gentle

Post by matt »

Goddamn man, I'm screaming out for people to join our net games all over the forum. Join IRC, see what the cool kids say :) They'll point you in the right direction
svenskmand
driver

Post by svenskmand »

Do you have links to any guides on getting it to run then?
Teutonicus
turbo bastard

Post by Teutonicus »

What about 1am Studios? Haven´t heard from Jeff for a very long time.. hope his project isn´t dying. Same with c2o from Wolverine... great project, but no updates anymore...
SplatterBonus
pedestrian

Post by SplatterBonus »

Hi All

I run c2 in win7 64 pro using VMware. It is a Virtual Machine inside win7,runs all old games. You can setup

any OS with this software. Hope this helps ppl that get a little shaky and sweety if they dont have at least one race a day.

Great Site Guys!

Check who’s online