Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Crashing when exiting + some questions

When the mayhem started! And its expansion pack made by interns!
pulkmees
pedestrian

Post by pulkmees »

Game goes black screen every time I exit.I have to close it manually from the manager every time.Haven't tried windowed mode yet, since I'd rather try to get the fullscreen mode to work.

Using the GOG version with QTZ' 95RPP

WIN 7 64 bit

ddraw.ini has

resolution - 1440x900

bpp=32

maxfps=0

vsync=true

scaling=linear

singlegpu=true

renderer=opengl

CARM95.exe shortcut has -hires.What does this actually do ? I didn't notice any difference when it wasn't there.Maybe it was very subtle.

EDIT: figured out, what lores and hires meant.

Before installing the 95RPP I just used the dosbox, I'm guessing I can't fiddle around with that when I'm using the ddraw.ini right ?

I feel like I am missing some options somewhere.

EDIT: Found some options in the Dosbox, Still don't know what's causing the crash.

Also have problems with music sometimes.Sometimes it plays the tracks, sometimes it doesn't play any music.

Also with vsync on, I still have huge tearing especially when going up hills and/or on grass. Not sure if I can do anything about this, but any tips ?

I've tried messing with Nvidia settings and disabled vsync there and enabling single display performance mode.

Disabling vsync in the INI makes the game super fast and smooth, but even has more tearing, I think.

So to summarize 4 things:

1.Crashing when exiting game

2.Music not playing sometimes - not that important, but still weird

3.Tearing- how to fix

4.Any options I have missed ? In the end I still want the game to look like it does now since I disliked how it looked in hardware mode with the stretched scaling of textures.
QTZ
hit n run

Post by QTZ »

Ddraw.ini is for Hifi's ddraw.dll wrapper which work only with Win95 version.

For DOSBox there is dosboxCARMA_all.conf (other *.conf are not in use).

Win95 version installed with 95RPP is modified (4 Bytes) to start in hires (640x480) by default,

so -hires for that version doesn't do anything (leaved for compatibility), when -lores running game(s) in lores (320x200).

DOS version starting in lores (for hires it need -hires switch), but 3Dfx mode working only in hires.

Lores using resources from 32X20X8 subdir, when hires using resources from 64X48X8.

Setting ddraw.ini resolution to 0,0 allow game to use native resolution.

For example setting up the wrapper (ddraw.ini) to 640x480 cause both modes running in same resolution, but lores will be only visually upscalled.

I think you should leave the dafault settings for ddraw.dll wrapper (opengl), since your setting may be the reason of black screen.

For DOSBox you can enable GOG configurator during install of 95RPP - configurator will work correctly only when started from included setup-launcher.

Wrong setting may cause DOSBox version to stop working (make dosboxCARMA_all.conf backup first).

Also if this crashing on exit from DOSBox it may be related to DOS4GW.EXE.

I guess you have no music in 95 version (no wrapper installed by default due to possible crash), but music playing with DOSBox, where separate wrapper is not necessary.

I don't know what you mean by "tearing"?
pulkmees
pedestrian

Post by pulkmees »

Thank you for the response.

I'm a bit confused now, but ok.

I'm just opening the game from CARM95.exe, that came with the 95RPP. When I open it from there does it use both the ddraw.ini and dosboxCARMA_all.config ?

1440 x 900 is my native resolution, so 0,0 has no effect.

I tried the Configurator, that came with the RPP. Tried the Carma/Splat Pack DOS option. That was the only one that let me exit from the game without crashing. But it also has unplayable framerate with both software and 3dfx modes.

I tried deleting the HIfi's wrapper files. No black screen, but the Carm95.exe still wouldn't close by itself.

Haven't messed around with the dosboxCARMA_all.config since I don't know what the settings do or what options I even have there. Is there some kind of a help file for those ?

Is it really crashing when it just won't close the exe by itself ? Maybe I described it poorly.

Music is now ok. I just changed some other settings or used some hotkey when it started happening. Timing was just right to make me think otherwise.

By tearing I mean really glitchy textures, like they are displaced. Also it's always the ground textures. Kinda hard to explain. I can live with that.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

I always ALT+F4 out of the game. Both C1 and C2 have crashed upon exiting for years now on my comp.

The tearing you're talking about is normal, it's because of the affine mapping (no perspective correction) and it's most obvious on long triangles.

People having performance issues with software C1 in DOSBox is still a mystery to me! If it was with the 3dfx mode I'd understand, but the software mode should be easy on the processor.
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
pulkmees
pedestrian

Post by pulkmees »

Ah thanks. Can't fix everything I guess.
QTZ
hit n run

Post by QTZ »

ddraw.ini is for ddraw.dll wrapper (so it only work when this wrapper is present), this wrapper is for Windows version (Win95).

dosboxCARMA_all.conf is config for DOSBox (DOS/3Dfx mode), so if you really want to edit it use GOG configurator (enable it with 95RPP setup and make backup of this conf), or search for DOSBox help.

Also please reset the ddraw.ini to opengl default, since setting up the resolution as yours cause crash on my PC, so I think this may be the reason of problems on your PC too.

Native resolution is a resolution used by game, when the game use 320x200 or 640x480 those are native resolutions for this game, 0,0 working fine.

With 95RPP also HD Test is included, which working in bigger resolutions, but only in game view is expanded.

If this not help you can try different wrapper instead of included ddraw.dll.

By default sound can be disabled/enabled with S key, you can change this with CKB.

@Toshiba-3:

BTW: I have different issue with C1/SP Win95 version with ddraw.dll wrapper - it bring the SandboxIE menu upon exiting :)

In DOSBox software mode work even slower than 3Dfx... Software mode using main processor, when 3Dfx using also GPU.

I think DOSBox is slow because it using Free DOS which installed separately is also so slow.

I have not tested this, but there is a way to install regular DOS in DOSBox, so maybe this will help?
pulkmees
pedestrian

Post by pulkmees »

What do you mean by resetting the ini file to opengl default ?

Currently renderer=opengl. Don't know how to change stuff related to that. I've tried deleting the ini file. Then it resets it to renderer=gdi.

That doesn't leave me with black screen after exiting, but it doesn't close the carm95.exe either.

I'm kind of used it by now anyway. Not going to mess around with it much any more.

Thanks for all your help though.
QTZ
hit n run

Post by QTZ »

I have created pre-configured defaults for 95RPP which you can set during installation, since this replace current files I call this reset.

When ini is missing wrapper create own default (set by wrapper author - Hifi).

Check who’s online