Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Max pack 95

When the mayhem started! And its expansion pack made by interns!
legomeaker101
hit n run

Max pack 95

Post by legomeaker101 »

Does anyone know where to get the carmageddon max pack windows 95 version?

I really want to compare it to the dos one
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Max pack 95

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Carma95 is exactly the same as the DOS software mode.

If you have the Steam/GOG releases, just download and install QTZ' 95RPP: https://qtz.cwaboard.co.uk/uMaxPack95RPP.zip

If you just have your boxed copy at home, download and extract the Meld Pack: https://rr2000.cwaboard.co.uk/carmageddon-1#mods
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
legomeaker101
hit n run

Max pack 95

Post by legomeaker101 »

what i mean is the actual max pack with the discs and all, when i look in amazon all i can find is the dos version
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Max pack 95

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Oh. There's only one version of the Max Pack CDs and for some reason SCi didn't include Carma95 in them at all. So yes, DOS only (Glide is included too).

The Carma95 executable we all use comes from the first Splat Pack release.
legomeaker101
hit n run

Max pack 95

Post by legomeaker101 »

Ok thanks
QTZ
hit n run

Max pack 95

Post by QTZ »

Toshiba-3, I cannot agree.

If you have MaxPack C1 CD without CARM95 folder it means there was two releases of MaxPack, since my CD contains this folder and 95 version can be installed starting setup from that folder or just copy files from CD to HD then put files from CARM95 folder to root of game (also you may need to setup paths.txt and fix broken font or better install MiniCD from "Unofficial Carmageddon Patch").

If there is CD version without 95 version I believe they removed this because of corrupted font which came with 3Dfx patch - as we can read in readme - there is no 95 version in MaxPack... when this is actually included - but it just crash because of that corrupted font... (fixed in patch mentioned above).

I never saw such CD. I have investigated many versions of C1 CD, but the rule is - Interplay versions have only 3Dfx/software DOS version in one exec (with bad font), when SCi have both versions (broken font depend if there is 3Dfx patch or not).

The execs we are using came from SP - for example MeldPack, but also from C1 - for example HD Test is based on C1 MaxPack 95 version.

So if you have both CDs from MaxPack you have SP which (the only version I know) have 95 version included either (this can be used with C1, but require MiniCD). Also Splat Pack have critical bugs which cause 95 game to keep crashing - so you need at least to apply "SplatPack fix".

For 95 execs MaxPack versions you may also install "hires patch and fix" which will swith lores with hires - it mean game will start in hires, when lores will be available with "-lores" command line switch.

DOS version only look same as 95 version, but 95 version is much better since it doesn't have DOS version limitations also there are some differences - like sound setup, etc..

Every mentioned fix/patch/pack are available here: https://qtz.cwaboard.co.uk/
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Max pack 95

Post by Toshiba-3 »

I have the Interplay Max Pack, and none of the CDs has Carma95.

What are the DOS limitations you're talking about?
QTZ
hit n run

Max pack 95

Post by QTZ »

Very interesting, I was thinking that there is no Interplay MaxPack, so it look like Interplay just doesn't include 95 version at all and I guess they did that for same reason - they included 3Dfx patch with broken font - which cause 95 version to crash. As we can read in the readme.txt from regular SCi MaxPack (with the 95 setup): "Because of the 3DFX version there is no Hi-res support in the Max Pack"... when it just require to fix that damn font... (for High Octane few more files) and it working fine!

Edit: BTW: GOG/Steam versions are based on SCi version, but GOG team has removed Win95 files, 95RPP bring the Win95 files back (except for setup) and fix other necessary (only) files.

DOS limitations are corresponding to DOS - technical stuff, that you already know.

Check who’s online