Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Carmageddon 1 & 2 banned in Germany, AGAIN!

When the mayhem started! And its expansion pack made by interns!
FatCat
mindless

Post by FatCat »

27 games have been pulled from the german steam store, including Carmageddon Max Pack and Carmageddon 2: Carpocalypse Now, What happened? =D

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/4m1fp8/27_games_get_pulled_from_steam_in_germany_likely/
Eviron
hit n run

Post by Eviron »

Yeah, as far as my understanding goes those games - in their uncensored versions - should legally have never supposed to be sold on Steam in the first place over here in Germany. They remain unrated and therefore aren't allowed to be shown and advertised publicly. So technically, they are not banned AGAIN but STILL. ^^ But after a specific time (~15 years?) the rights-owner can apply for a fresh examination of the affected game, e.g. that way DOOM and DOOM 2 were pulled off the "Index" 5 years ago, sitting on that "banned games"-list for 17 years until then. And today, guidelines are far more loosened and C1 + 2 would probably pass.

I was especially worried about C:MDs release in the first place as I just heard in a news-video the whole Carmageddon-franchise was affected and pulled, but Reincarnation and TDR2000 remain purchasable which leads me to believe/hope(!) there won't be problems getting C:MD for consoles in this country.
tonrac
speed freak

Post by tonrac »

http://www.carmageddon.com/comment/83874#comment-83874 Nobby said that CMD still unrated right now in germany ...
Eviron
hit n run

Post by Eviron »

It's still over a month till realase-day but yeah, that keeps me worried a bit... Read nobbys statement when it got posted and thought "well, so the rating discussion over at the USK is just still taking place" (*fingers crossed*) but now seeing it again it could also translate to "the check is over and it didn't make it/got no age rating". :/ Any clarification feasible already which case it is, Stainless?
tonrac
speed freak

Post by tonrac »

I got a question: if a game is ban in a country and you bought a steam key in other country, could You activate the game? Because if the game is in the index, it forbid retailer to sell the game in the country ... not people to own it.
Freeride Forever
turbo bastard

Post by Freeride Forever »

Wow Germany huh? Home of the holocaust & the shit eater. I didn't know their politicians were as dumb as Austrailia's. Too bad. Someone should tell those ignorant idiotards that banning games doesn't undo Hitler. Nor will anything. So until then, torrent the games, donate the price to the devs. If you can't donate, meh, free advertising. :)
Eviron
hit n run

Post by Eviron »

@Tonrac: Don't think you can with Steam because the keys are somehow region locked, as I read looking a bit into this case. But there's still other easy ways, importing the physical copy if there is one, and other services like gog.com where there's no hurdle at all. On some systems like consoles it is or was also possible to simply change your region/country and then purchase those otherwise not-available titles. But that's not really advisable because it violates given terms of service which could lead to a locked account in the worst case.
Privata
turbo bastard

Post by Privata »

This is just wrong...

Video games are art , carmageddon may be silly but it is still art.

I just cant belive this.
Eviron
hit n run

Post by Eviron »

Now GOG is also going to remove them... And "Max Damage" was refused classification. :( Bummer.
CzechDeath
kill boss

Post by CzechDeath »

hahaha poor germany =D
Eviron
hit n run

Post by Eviron »

Nah, poor Stainless and online players worldwide. You have to see it the way that it narrows the customer base as not everybody who has been slightly interested will take the step importing it, though it's fairly easy still, and new audiences might not discover it if not prominently visible on Amazon, Xbox Live Store, PlayStation Network etc. Of course hearing of a "banned" game making news always attracts certain people even more to it but I guess the overall sales will suffer nevertheless tremendously... Funny thing is, if I'm not mistaken, even Australia is getting it with a 15+ rating. We've come a long way regarding approval within the last decade but me thinking the comedic aspect and over the top comic-violence should be obvious and fine... Too much confidence...
Trent
mindless

Post by Trent »

Nothing has been newly banned though. Max Damage has just been refused certification and C1 & C2 have been on the list of prohibited media since their original release, they were never meant to be allowed to be sold in Germany on Steam or GOG in the first place which is why they are now removed.

I get that Max Damage being refused classification is effectively the same as being banned from the consumer's point of view right now, but it's actually quite different as far as the potential for release goes. If it were on the list like C1 & C2 then that would be the end and there would be nothing which could be done. Being refused classification, though, means Stainless have the possibility to still work with the classification board to get a version together which they will classify and allow to be sold.
a.k.a. Brent
MrDeviance
turbo bastard

Post by MrDeviance »

Release a ragdoll version for germans and put Merkel's face on them.

The peds already have a low level of qualitly that makes them look and behave like ragdolls, so retexturing them to look like real ragdolls would just make the game more realistic.

Replace the blood particles with sawdust and you have a censored winner.

Check who’s online