Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

We seriously..........

For everything that doesn't belong elsewhere.
n3wton
Wasted!

We seriously..........

Post by n3wton »

need to sort these forums out as a community - new peeps can register but then its upto a admin to approve which isnt ideal with the amount of new folk we should be getting right now

Me & tosh are happy to look at getting these forums converted from UBB to PunBB so they will be a lot more modern & would have a secure/captcha registeration facility - i have emailed Elendal for FTP access & a latest SQL dump, so can start some testing. - what do you guys think?

This place should be full of new peeps......

Cheers, :twisted:

52 guests online, am sure 2 would of registered!
TTR
Psycho Maniac

Re: We seriously..........

Post by TTR »

Hehe you beat me to it, i came to CWA to make a topic about it that theres users registering here but admins need to validate them but it never happens.
Reno
hit n run

Post by Reno »

I reckon a change over is a good idea, with the new game announced this place should start getting busy again.
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Post by Razor »

I always wondered why we have 50+ guests on and nobody ever seems to register, after reading the CWA Board thread on the Carma forums I know why.

Good idea Newton, Captcha codes would be a sure fire way to stop most spambots.
[ Razor @ Carmageddon Webmasters Alliance Network ] [ My Downloads ] [ My Carma Items ] [ Conversion lists ]
To download the BETA Mod and more information on my other work, visit me @ https://razor.cwaboard.co.uk
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Yes, a better system would be great. I approved new users for years, it was a boring thankless task.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Well at devWAM there's a captcha but some bots are clever enough to pass them!

Still it's a very good filter! Might have a look in the UBB community to find a captcha hack or something? I know hacks are still made for this version of UBB.threads.
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
Tony
Ninja

Post by Tony »

It is more or less an endless task now, approving and denying all the registred users. I bet there are still thousands of them pending. It's crap. An update which could lock out the bots would be fantastic. I bet there are quite a bunch of people that have been waiting to get in and gotten lost with trash.
-[ Growl Karaoke ]-[ Image ]-[ Abacorn ]-[ Portfolio ]-
Recent exploit: Trapped The Forces of Evil in a box.. and shaked it!
juozas
hit n run

Post by juozas »

To get rid of spambots alot of techniques are aplicable.

Checking if client supports cookies, and session is a must.

More advanced ways capcha comes in with (e.g.) random background and random variation of string length, colours and combinations of lower- and upper-case chars and numbers.

Also use some fancy font taht default spambots won't go through but it would be human readable.

A last choice of defense should be a bot-trap to block ip for some time, there's alot info about it is posted on internet :lol:

About activation when alot users may come and not all might be reviewed, it's adviced to use not only capcha but also making an email activation mandatory for login. That would also bump alot of spambots away.

Good example on capcha is on my site:

Capcha img: http://www.juozas24.lt/randimg.php

Script source here: http://www.juozas24.lt/source.php?file=randimg.php
Last edited by juozas on Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Сделано в СССР
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

If the process could be automated, that would be fantastic. Even if a few bots snuck through occasionally it'd probably be easier to delete/ban those as needed than have someone manually approving every day.
n3wton
Wasted!

Post by n3wton »

Me & Tosh will have a look once we have FTP access and a SQL Dump - hopefully Elendal will get back to me soon :wink:

Just dont want this place to die with the new carmageddon.com forums and users not being able to register here properly - there will be lots of duplication whereas we could just point them to "thats already been answered here @ cwaboard.com" etc.

Its awesome that we have an official forum, but what's important to me is that we keep this Community flowing and keep this place going long after Carmageddon: R has been released like we have been doing since the previous Carma releases. :twisted:

Sorry for the over used chainsaw smiley! hes ace! lol :twisted:
elendal
Suka

Post by elendal »

Yeah... I'm at Seattle, and busy. I'll do something next week, when I come back home, k?
Join the Navy; sail to far-off exotic lands, meet exciting interesting people, and kill them.
Beast
The Man

Post by Beast »

I'm with you n3wton!

Check who’s online