Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Planning a new PC. Update: Built, benchmarked, pictures!

For everything that doesn't belong elsewhere.
Trent
mindless

Post by Trent »

I might be building a new PC in the coming months and have been pricing up some specs for it but I could do with a bit of advice on what parts to get. This isn't the usual sort of "what GPU or CPU should I get, how much ram?" sort of post, I know the big bits already:

Core i7 6700K

GeForce 1080

32gb RAM

~500gb SSD

A few tb of HDD

So I'm clear enough on the big bits but I've not built a desktop in about a decade as my last couple of PCs have been Clevo-based notebooks, so I am a bit rusty on the other bits and bobs. Here's my questions:

What motherboard brands are good these days? Is there much difference between the expensive boards and the ones around £100? Any specific motherboards?

Any advice on cases?

What CPU coolers are good?

What PSU brand is reliable? Would 500w be enough? 750w?

Does the more premium brands memory really make that much of a difference?

Anything else I should consider?
a.k.a. Brent
tonrac
speed freak

Post by tonrac »

Asus make great motherboard like the ASUS Z170 PRO Gaming. That allow easy OC of the cpu and support memory with xmp profile http://www.intel.fr/content/www/fr/fr/gaming/extreme-memory-profile-xmp.html

A large choice for connecting a ssd (sata 3, M2, sata express https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/SATA_Express )

And made with excellent electronic component.

It 's an exemple, some other brand are also good.

For the CPU cooler, the

Noctua NH-U12P SE2 is a good choice, keep your cpu cool, not noisy and not really expensive.

Good Ddr4 Memory xmp 3400mhz will give a little boost of memory bandwith to the cpu ... in game You will have almost zero gain. but it could give 5% boost on some application. My liking go to corsair memory cause i have compatibity issue with gskill memory in the past (but that's my humble experience, i had maybe a faulty ram).

For the PSU , buy a good 80% efficiency psu (seasonic, corsair, enermax) 550w is enough for a single Gpu ... if You want to make a sli configuration in the future ... it's better to have a 800W psu.

Like i play on a laptop for some years now, others could correct me if i am wrong ... (some brand could be good in the past and are maybe average or bad now).

I hope that it will help You a little. I wish that your new machine will boost all your project of mod for Carmageddon ;)
lemonrev
road raged psycho

Post by lemonrev »

hey Trent, If your going to build a desktop from scratch, then remember that cpu's are just like what they where when they had pin's but now they are more flat square boards that just slot into the cpu part :P.

Power depends on what you really need for the titan gpu.

As for pc boards Tonrac has mentioned a few, but honestly there more mainstream computer sellers will only sell certain brands anyway and the rate at witch they get made i would say there all roughly the same, All boards can be good but it also depends if you want to go SLI and how the board handles say the ram and how many slots the things got. ie PCIe 2 / 3 slots

Memory can depend on mhz speed like Tonrac's post.

I personally think sata's are far too young to buy up, but as for using for os's apparently they are good. Have fun.,
Trent
mindless

Post by Trent »

Heh, yeah, the last PC I built for myself was a Pentium D which I think was the chip Intel introduced the pin-less design on so I'm prepared for that ;)

Thanks, guys, it's been a big help. The ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming was actually one of the boards I was leaning towards before I frowned and decided to ask for opinions, so I'm glad to hear it's recommended. Here's the complete spec list I'm currently looking at now:

CPU: Core i7 6700k
Motherboard: ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming Mobo
GPU: Zotac Geforce GTX 1080 AMP
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32gb (4x8gb) 2666mhz
CPU Fan: Noctua NH-U12S Slim Cooler
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 Case
PSU: Corsair CX 750W Wired PSU
SSD: SanDisk Ultra II 480GB
HDD: Toshiba X300 6TB
WiFi: TP-Link AC1900
I've tried to keep a balance between price and capabilities for most of it, given so much is being spent on the CPU and GPU, so going for the 2666mhz memory seemed to be the sweet spot, similarly the SanDisk seemed to be the best balance price and quality at that size, as is the toshiba at it's size.

I couldn't live without an SSD after using them in my current and previous machines, they really make the system boat along, but i do want to make sure ive got plenty of room on it as im constantly fighting for space with a 128gb SSD as so much software dumps all their data on C regardless of settings or space or where they are installed, it drives me insane. I had to manually set up symlinks to redirect itunes' iOS backups folders to E: because it tried backing up my 64gb iPad with only 20gb free on C: without checking for space or giving the option to use another drive, leaving no space for Windows to actually run properly. Then an iTunes update silently changed the backup location slightly so it backed up to C: again. Thanks apple. so, yeah 480gb should be a big enough SSD to avoid issues and let me stick some games on it.

I found a nifty power calculator online which takes your basic specs and it tells you what wattage you psu needs to be. According to it, 750w should be plenty if I decide to add another 1080 for SLI later on.

one last question: what thermal paste is recommended?
a.k.a. Brent
tonrac
speed freak

Post by tonrac »

For the thermal paste, i use innovation cooling diamond 24 but the gelid extreme is good too ... you could make your choice by checking this http://overclocking.guide/thermal-paste-roundup-2015-47-products-tested-with-air-cooling-and-liquid-nitrogen-ln2/6/

In desktop, like you have more space for the component to be cooled, the quality of thermal paste is less important* unless you oc your Cpu (*i don't say it's not important) ...

If you could spend some extra cash buy the sandisk ultra II 960Go to have the space to put in it some game that take advantage of the SSD ... (like Carmageddon R) ...
Fr0ntj3
speed freak

Post by Fr0ntj3 »

the only thing i wouldnt do, is that 6TB disk, if it dies, thats a lot of data gone, or if you get a warning it is dying, thats a lot of data to backup. I cant comment on that disk itself, but i have had my fair share of dying 3TB disks from WD, Seagate and Toshiba to know its a pain in the ass.

Unless you have a good backup system planned, then you're good to go.

just my 2 cents.
tonrac
speed freak

Post by tonrac »

Hum! Fr0nt is right. Why not reducing the capacity of the hdd to 4 or 3 tb and make a Raid 1 for securing the Data ... or if you have gold in your hand buy a second 6Gb HDD to make your raid 1 (motherboard support it ) ... because it will be a disaster if you loose 6Gb of Carmageddon Mod ;)
Trent
mindless

Post by Trent »

Hmm, I totally hadn't considered drive reliability. It certainly does suck balls when drives die, I guess it would probably be best to go for 3 2tb drives or 2 3tb to reduce the risk of it all dying at once and have some redundancy. Probably safest to go for the 3 drive setup.

The main reasons I was looking at a single big one instead of a few smaller ones were the extra power consumption, noise and heat of running multiple drive, with a side helping of having space to add more in the future. The one time I had major hard drive failure was pretty much due to having too many (I think 4 or 5) drives in the computer and not enough airflow between them to keep them cool, causing the big one (it was absolutely massive, a whole 300gb) to catastrophically fail due to the constant heat sandwiching it over a long period (it was almost never turned off).

But that was using a case which only had enough bays for that many drives and was not designed with especially good airflow so I'd guess it wouldn't be as big a problem with the Fractal case as it has a ton of bays so the drives could be spaced out and it's designed with airflow in mind.

Regarding the SSD, going for a 960gb is probably pushing past the budget a bit but I think 480gb should do me fine. If usage stays in line with what I currently have (it stays around 10gb free of 118gb as long as I keep on top of clearing temp files of certain software), then I should get between 300 and 350gb of spare space on the 480gb and I definitely won't be putting that many games on it, most will be on the HDDs.
a.k.a. Brent
tonrac
speed freak

Post by tonrac »

Don't forget also that Raid1 or Raid 5 is a security but will not eliminate all the risk ... the better way to avoid loosing data is to copy them in different media (external HDD ...), the difficulty is to keep all those data up to date ...

The new case will cool your Hdd efficiently i think.

The power consumption won't be a problem with the 750w psu. The noise depend of the drive ... but huge progress had been made since your 300Gb hard drive and the case should reduce it at the point You couldn't heard them.
flynia
driver

Post by flynia »

For my desktop PC I am currently using two 3TB Drives in RAID 1 for Storage which gives me a quick easy backup of my data. A couple of Western Digital Blues is my personal taste of the manufacturer front however it comes down to personal taste really... long story short HDDs are generally only made by either Seagate or WD... so choices are limited.

I also have 2 512 GB Crucial M550 SSDs with the first running Windows and a few choice applications and then the other running a few of my favorite games.

As for PSU... anything around the 750W mark should be fine for what you have listed. Personally I go for the Platinum series but a Gold should be fine as well. I have had a good run with the Corsair HX750i and highly recommend one of those. They also have high Wattage ones should you require.
CPU: Intel i7 4770k
MOBO: ASUS Z87-A
RAM: 32GB G.Skill TridentX
GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 Strix 8GB OC‎
STORAGE: 2 x Crucial M550 512GB and 3TB Seagate
SOUND: ASTRO A40 + MixAMP via Soundblaster Z
CASE: Thermaltake Armor Revo
RiOrus
turbo bastard

Post by RiOrus »

Trent, will you be over clocking any components?

I've got an Asus sabre tooth z87 with a 4740k i7 plopped in it. Very good at controlling Temps with comprehensive temperature monitoring and a few nice features which I think come with Asus mobos in general. The AI Suite (I think it is called) is nice for controlling fan speeds and setting up custom fan profiles for your case and CPU and the USB bios flashing tool is quite nice and relatively risk free. The bios interface is really straightforward as well, nice UI, clearly set out and easy to use. I had some issues with mobo identifying correct Ram speed and it was a single click solution to set the correct timing. Additionally, really easy to overclock CPU if you are that way inclined, with the ability to save custom OC profiles.

In terms of CPU cooling I experimented with some water cooling which you can see in the video below but ended up using the stock CPU cooler in the end because the set up was a bit of an experiment and logistically a bit of a nightmare. Even so the Intel stock cooler wasn't actually that bad. Temps don't really go above 50degC but I think that's largely due to decent case ventilation and the little extra fans and airflow measures promoted by the mobo. Under water I wasn't exceeding 35degC at 4.6Gig, was really nice and stable.

Power wise I use a superflower platinum 1kW PSU. Looks great and has quite a sexy little illuminated connection where each cable is connected and in use. Although I've found over time this is a slight annoyance as there is no option to switch it off and it'd screw up any case lighting you might have in mind, again if that's your inclination. Came with a shit load of cables, although annoyingly could've done with an additional combined 6+2 6+2 cable for GPU's as I've got 2 GPU's in SLI. Mind you, this will be less of an issue if you're using a 1080 which I think is a single 8pin power supply?

Casewise I went for a Thermaltake Urban S71 (full tower) which looks good and is great for tool-less drive installation etc. Loads of space for fans as well so case can be kept cool easily. The only criticism of Thermaltake is their UK customer support is non existent. Like literally no-one around. I reckon if you kicked up enough fuss on social media they'd probably come back to you but I couldn't be bothered with that approach (I damaged the front door of the case with my huge ape feet - and considered a replacement).

That 1080 will mince anything though, nice choice. What resolution you looking at, or considering VR? Exciting spec there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBHRHLbYilo&list=LLSvs4ZWjUMCxzq0VjZVyFiQ&index=1
deadsheep
hit n run

Post by deadsheep »

I recommend you to get rid of the Corsair CX PSU - http://www.overclock.net/t/1431436/why-you-should-not-buy-a-corsair-cx

XFX does Seasonic rebrands with extra warranty (5 years), I myself use a XFX TS 550W (which is enough for my i7 6700K which is at 4.2Ghz on all cores, 2TB HDD, 250GB SSD, 16GB RAM and an overclocked GTX 970 Gaming G1).

If you need a little bit more power to be on the safe side (1080 TDP is close to a 970) you could try getting a XFX TS 650W or a similar model. If Seasonic is cheaper, then by all means go with them, since XFX is only rebranding them (XFX was cheaper in my country plus more warranty).

Just please don't get the Corsair CX series!

With CPU coolers, it goes down to how much you want to spend. Hyper 212 Evo (the US version, the EU one sucks), Scythe Katana 4 are good budget candidates, but there's many more options
Trent
mindless

Post by Trent »

Thanks all, it's been a big help! I've ended up going for a Seasonic PSU (thanks for the heads up deadsheep!), EVGA FTW GPU, 3 2tb HDDs and a 500gb Samsung EVO SSD.

RiOrus wrote:Trent, will you be over clocking any components?
Not immediately, but it is something I may look into in the future. First priority is to make sure it's stable and efficient before I look into overclocking and I'll need to do plenty of research to make sure I know what I'm doing with it.

IIn terms of CPU cooling I experimented with some water cooling which you can see in the video below but ended up using the stock CPU cooler in the end because the set up was a bit of an experiment and logistically a bit of a nightmare. Even so the Intel stock cooler wasn't actually that bad. Temps don't really go above 50degC but I think that's largely due to decent case ventilation and the little extra fans and airflow measures promoted by the mobo. Under water I wasn't exceeding 35degC at 4.6Gig, was really nice and stable.
Yeah I probably won't ever go for water cooling, far too paranoid about buggering it up and soaking everything! The fan cooler I'm getting seems to be cool and quiet and the case apparently has good cooling, so I can't see myself needing to go for liquid cooling unless I go crazy with the OC.

Power wise I use a superflower platinum 1kW PSU. Looks great and has quite a sexy little illuminated connection where each cable is connected and in use. Although I've found over time this is a slight annoyance as there is no option to switch it off and it'd screw up any case lighting you might have in mind, again if that's your inclination. Came with a shit load of cables, although annoyingly could've done with an additional combined 6+2 6+2 cable for GPU's as I've got 2 GPU's in SLI. Mind you, this will be less of an issue if you're using a 1080 which I think is a single 8pin power supply?
I think the EVGA FTW 1080 I'm getting uses 2 8-pins, rather than the single on the reference/founders boards. Looks don't really bother me for the PSU as the case I'm getting doesn't have a window.

Casewise I went for a Thermaltake Urban S71 (full tower) which looks good and is great for tool-less drive installation etc. Loads of space for fans as well so case can be kept cool easily. The only criticism of Thermaltake is their UK customer support is non existent. Like literally no-one around. I reckon if you kicked up enough fuss on social media they'd probably come back to you but I couldn't be bothered with that approach (I damaged the front door of the case with my huge ape feet - and considered a replacement).
Thermaltakes do look swish and stylish, though the reason I went for the Fractal Design one was because it was nice and minimalistic design on the outside but plenty of features on the inside. The drive bays are configurable with a number of different options, there's room for quite a few extra fans (it comes with one in the front and one in the rear) and has SSD mounts on the read of the motherboard housing. I read some very good reviews of it after I had it in mind, so it seems like a great choice.

That 1080 will mince anything though, nice choice. What resolution you looking at, or considering VR? Exciting spec there.
Yeah, it's an absolute beast from the initial benchmarks I've seen, seriously can't wait to get my hands on it. It'll be a major step up from the 780m in my current notebook, raw numbers put it at like 4x the power, talk about a generational leap :|

I'll be using my 1440p monitor for my main display with a 1080p as the secondary. I need to buy a third monitor to make up for the loss of the notebook screen, but that probably can wait.

I'm interested in VR but I won't be in a position to buy a headset for a while and hopefully they will be a bit more affordable by then too.
a.k.a. Brent
RiOrus
turbo bastard

Post by RiOrus »

The fractal design define R5 was a close second to the S71, the fractal is slightly more minimalist but yeah, some of the Tt stuff is quite garish.

I think the superflower PSUs have some kind of joint venture thing going with OverclockersUK so as far as customer service goes they're pretty sharp at sorting it out if stuff goes wrong. Anyway the platinum has been very reliable.

Good luck with the build, maybe post some pics. I'd be interested to see. I'm so tempted to start a new build. Even considered selling my entire current rig to start a new one.
Trent
mindless

Post by Trent »

Will do! I'm quite excited about building it, makes me feel like a kid again haha. Probably won't be building it for a couple of weeks, given the GPU isn't available until the end of the month.

I'll hook up some benchmarks and compare them to my current PC, see just how much better it is! Any recommendations for good benchmark games?
a.k.a. Brent
RiOrus
turbo bastard

Post by RiOrus »

I can only speak from experience at 4k Resolutions so wouldn't be comparable benchmarks really.

If I was running on a single card (mine being 980Ti's) the following definitely tax the GPU's.

GTA5

The Witcher 3

Fallout 4 (although mine is heavily modded)

Would be interesting to properly benchmark C:R as well, although perhaps maybe best to wait for Max Damage on PC. Would be cool to set up a benchmarking thread actually, I don't think I've seen one yet.

Incidentally, the following seem to be really well optimised, nice looking games on Nvidia cards, also scale nicely in SLI.

Dying Light

Dark Souls 3

Bioshock Infinite

Haven't played too many other recent triple A games to be fair.
Trent
mindless

Post by Trent »

GTA5

The Witcher 3

Fallout 4 (although mine is heavily modded)

Dying Light

Dark Souls 3

Heh, those are 5 games I don't have yet! I do have Bioshock Infinite so I'll use that, I'm also going to use Metro Last Light Redux, Hitman (2016), Alien: Isolation and Batman: Arkham Knight as I've heard they all have solid benchmark modes. Also the usual 3DMark and Unigine benchmarks, obviously.

It would definitely be great to benchmark C:R properly, but given how variable the game can be with it's workload, I'm not sure it would be possible to get comparable benchmark data out of it, the AI is far too random and peds don't spawn in the same spots every time, so it would probably need a custom level built for it (or at least an existing level customized) which specifically spawns peds in set places and locks the cars onto rails (e.g. custom accessory boxing them in which moves around the level, no checkpoints so AI doesn't try to drive), maybe some physics specific tests like dropping cars from set positions, stacks of boxes, etc. It would be awesome if Stainless could hook up a benchmarking mode in C:MD so we have something consistent to compare against, though that's probably asking too much.
a.k.a. Brent
tonrac
speed freak

Post by tonrac »

" It would be awesome if Stainless could hook up a benchmarking mode in C:MD so we have something consistent to compare against, though that's probably asking too much."

Or a standalone tools, that will allow for people to see how the game could run in their rigs before buying the game ... but your are right that's probably asking too much ...
Trent
mindless

Post by Trent »

And it's built! I guess I should list out the final specs to start out:

Fractal Define R5 case

Seasonic M12 II Evo modular PSU

Intel Core i7 6700k

MSI GeForce GTX1080 Gaming X

Asus Z170 Pro Gaming Motherboard

32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX @2666mhz

Noctua NH-U12S Slim Cooler

500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD

3x Toshiba 2tb HDD

Asus Blu-ray drive

TP-Link Wifi card

Samsung S27D850 1440p 27" monitor (as well as an old 30" 1440p Dell UltraSharp and an old 21" 1080p Philips monitor)

Such an unbelievably awesome machine, it's blown me away how much of an improvement over my old machine this is. Quiet as hell too, the multi-vent heat recovery system in our house is louder than this computer. Even running through the Fire Strike Extreme benchmark I had to actively listen for the computer to hear it, which I'm seriously impressed with given the power stuck inside this computer. Another thing I wasn't expecting was the case to be quite as big as it was. I knew it was an ATX but it honestly looked a bit smaller in the reviews I saw! Awesome case, though, really easy to put everything in and great

The build was really straight forward, baring a bit of fuss with having to move some bits around to make the best use of the cables and a moment of panic/idiocy where I thought the PSU only came with a single PCI-E power cable when I needed two for the graphics card... A few hours later, after I had packed everything up to take it home and figure out what to do there, I remembered that there was actually a second PCI-E power cable which I was a total idiot for misplacing. After finding it, and finding an extra SATA cable in one of my boxes, I finished the build at home on Tuesday and had a moment of panic/idiocy where the bloody thing wouldn't turn on... Then I remembered I had switched the PSU off before plugging it into the mains >_<

Anyway, with all the panic/idiocy out the way installing Windows and setting it up was also super quick and easy, barring my slow internet making updates really slow... Which led to more panic/idiocy when the bloody GPU drivers wouldn't install. It turned out the Windows 10 disc I installed from was an older version and the NVidia driver needed version 1511 installed. Took pretty much all day for Windows Update to finish grabbing and installing it ;_;

But, anyway, it's all finished and set up now, with mostly just my development software left to install. I've been doing some benchmarking today and really pleased with the results so far! All these are run at 1440p:

Unigine

3D Mark Fire Strike Extreme

Metro Last Light Redux

Max settings except SSAA (though SSAA still averages around a playable 50fps figure)

Batman Arkham Knight

Max settings, with Nvidia GameWorks features:

Max settings, without Nvidia GameWorks:

Hitman

DX12 mode, max settings. I did a run through of it set to 5K Dynamic Super Resolution and I was seriously impressed to see it stay above 30fps.

I gave Carmageddon: Reincarnation a go too, never went below 60fps and often stayed up around the 70 or 80 mark, even when I was recording on City B with everyone crashing and exploding on screen with loads of peds being annihilated by Electric Blue. Can't wait to try Max Damage on here when it's released! The most important benchmark, however, got a mind numbing 680fps and completed in 1.5 seconds, it's the first benchmark anyone should do on a computer since 1996: /timedemo demo1

Edit: Razpr requested a quake 3 benchmark:

I've got Doom coming down (got it free with the motherboard, but was a major faff to redeem the code, had to contact Asus to sort it out!) and I'll be downloading Witcher 3 and Bioshock Infinite after that. I'm planning on recording some footage and taking some screenshots so I'll post them as and when they happen.

Here's some build pics:

All the bits in a pile:

Opening the GPU:

Comparing today's top GPU to one of the top GPU's from 11 years ago which was in the last gaming computer I built:

Inside the finished build, gasp in awe at my messy cable work:

The rig on the desk ready to be tested:

A good view of my monitor set up as I'm loading Fire Strike:

Turning it on for the first time:

a.k.a. Brent
legomeaker101
hit n run

Post by legomeaker101 »

WHY DOES MY COMPUTER SUCK

sweet pc trent
lemonrev
road raged psycho

Post by lemonrev »

So you got your rig up :), Power house :P. Its clean, I haven't seen that type of cooler like you have for your cpu but it looks neet with all those little bolts :P.

I wonder do you get the Bios boot signal ? usually one beep when turning on pc ever ? < i heard nothing at all when you had that video interesting.

Remember to keep those fans clear of dust, Only side effect of having any in the case and outside of it.

Con grats for you dude, and i hope you start really killing those games now :P
'80s Time Warp
Road Warrior

Post by '80s Time Warp »

Thanks for making me feel completely insecure about the state of my own rig, hehe.

That looks like one hell of a Monster you've got there Trent. :)
Just another '80s Dreamer....
Twitter Manifestation. - Mods for Max Damage.
Please do not use my old/deadname.

Check who’s online