Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Bugbears 'Next Car Game' game

For everything that doesn't belong elsewhere.
Dave3d
hit n run

Post by Dave3d »

So, Bugbear cant use the Flatout name, since the publisher sold it to another publisher.

But, they are making a new game, like the original Flatout's.

Bugbears new game NCG (Next Car Game) needs some money, so that they dont need a publisher.

They are the ones who made Flatout, Flatout 2, Flatout Ultimate Carnage, Ridge Racer Unbounded, and Ridge Racer Driftopia (they did NOT make Flatout 3, that was a different developer).

NCG is going to be like the Flatout series. More control over the cars, no one-button-consolized-wintherace racer.

If 10,000 pre-order, they will release an alpha version for evryone who does pre-order. Nice!

http://nextcargame.com/

If anyone is interested, swing on by and take a look.

If you havent played any of the flatouts, you are missing some great arcade type racing, and lots of smashing, and even some funny car games.

The Flatouts are the only other racing games I truly cherish, being just behind Carmageddon series.
lemonrev
road raged psycho

Post by lemonrev »

just saw the trailer to this game, looks somewhat kickass but also at the same time it looks like it would be soo easy to kill your car and the game becomes 10x more harder to complete races.

I also think if we saw some of the demo type mechanics of say the car being bounced around and smashed and hit then i think carma could come so close to this type of game play but its got a different type of aspect to it.

So im not sure how far stainless will push for having destruction blast away from the cars even though it would look totally kick ass and make the player much more willing to race instead of just play and burn rubber and get the race done with quick death of everyone else in the field first.

This brings up many questions we might all have on how the development of the game is now and how it will be in its final product. Crossing fingers its going to kick more but than the original :P.
macacom
turbo bastard

Post by macacom »

Interesting! I think I'll pre-order it : )
Guardo o mundo na mão: e o mundo que se foda
Too-DAMN-Much
speed freak

Post by Too-DAMN-Much »

@lemon, that's a fair point in most racing games and even carmageddon but if you recall flatout actually rewards you for trying to destroy your car by giving you nitro for it, so it's arguably not even a bad thing to totally wreck your ride.
lemonrev
road raged psycho

Post by lemonrev »

Wrecking your ride is fine and thats why we all love carma lol, but in that clip they have its like wreck your car and see how fast you can die or kill the car, it all depends on there game mechanics i suppose i was just worried with that much damage with that type of game that having like a destruction durby type game that if you have a head on collision then your car would instantly be scrap metal.

Just saying I have it on some what a watch list :)
Too-DAMN-Much
speed freak

Post by Too-DAMN-Much »

true but didn't the majority of the flatout games also include at least a few of the minigame type stunt events that crashday made a thing?

if nothing else, i think they had driver darts and bowling, not positive though, destroying your ride is par for the course for those. :)
Dave3d
hit n run

Post by Dave3d »

From what I have read, they will have the option to have the damage actually affect the car as you drive it, or just have it as superficial damage that wont affect how you drive. Pretty darn cool if you ask me. I know I will be trying out both options, hehe. Also, I think they said they are still tweaking the damage system. Would be cool if they had a slider to set the damage % yourself, lol. Hmmm, gunna go post and see if they will do that! HAHAHA

@TDM:

You are correct, they had many different things in the game.

They had just the career racing, where you can just race for 1st 2nd 3rd place (with damage and debrise still).

The had a single race, whatever track you wanted (2 versions of this IIRC).

They had Destruction Derby.

They had oval/figure 8 type track racing (I guess thats Banger racing?).

And, they had the silly stunts. They all had to do with throwing the driver through the windshield towards a certain goal. Like bowling, high jump, darts, football (soccer), skipping the driver as many times as possible along water.

All of this stuff was seperate from the career racing, except for the money you won doing it would be added to your career money. Say you NEEDED the next tire upgrade to win 1 track, but didnt have the money for it, you could go do these extra things to get some more money.

they were usually very hard (the driver stunts), but funny too.

Bugbear has said that they wont have the driver stunts though, and probably not the driver crashing through the windshield either.

I am not sure about anything else though.

It will still be the best racing game out there (Carmageddon is not really a racing game, so much as a destroy everything with your car game, lol), that has real damage modeling, no 'on rails racing' (you know, when you hit those invisible walls 7 feet on each side of your car? That dont do any damage or let you go off the track?), no 'bumping a car does nothing to either car', etc etc etc

My 2 favorite car racing games, maybe coming out near each other?

They have certainly been a helluva lot more open than Stainless has, I must say (sorry Stainless, but for having no publisher, you havent been very open like you said you would be in the kickstarter).

The release is supposed to be early 2014. A playable pre-alpha version before the year is out also! (yeah, still lookin at you, Stainless, hehe).

And, for everyone, if you like good games like this, please go to the steam greenlight section and Yes vote it please?
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=176123360
Too-DAMN-Much
speed freak

Post by Too-DAMN-Much »

yeah i still remember now that you remind me, i remember the first time i ever played the original flatout, i even made the horrible mistake of trying to avoid the debris around the track at first.

i'm positive i've upvoted it on greenlight but i'll doublecheck right now just to be sure, as far as getting my own copy, mmm.... hopefully, but i still have that bad taste in my mouth from the third, we will see.

it sounds awesome that they're going to do proper damage modeling this time around as well, even in the third it wasn't really that spectacular, didn't hold up to carmageddon 2 imo really, yuno bisect, cars?

was still a series i enjoyed and had good memories of, but then again, from looking at reviews of amnesia a machine for pigs it looks like i may or may not really be happy with the magnum opus of the penumbra series, before anyone thinks it was a dark descent that i mean, it's not, not even close the penumbra series was the true height of frictional games and the beautiful precursors to (even if not technically part of the same series) horror titles with the first amnesia coming a very close second.

but yeah, i'm always skeptical of series' sequels and revivals, especially lately, with C:R i just couldn't bare not to take the chance.
Dave3d
hit n run

Post by Dave3d »

Well, remember Flatout 3 was made by a totally separate dev studio, Team 6, and a different publisher (cant remember publisher).
http://flatout3.team6-games.com/

Flatout 3 was NOT made by Bugbear.

Bugbear does not own the rights to the name Flatout, and has never owned the rights. Since FO:UC, the publisher sold the name to another publisher, and contracted Team 6 to do FO 3.

Bugbear wants to do a 'spiritual successor' to FO1, FO2, and FO:UC, but pubs dont think there is a market for it. Plus they dont want to have any restrictions put on the game by a pub. JUST like Carmageddon. They want to make the game they want to make (which sounds like a FO1 game, with better graphics and car crunching and whatnot), not the game someone else wants them to make.

Sounds just like what Stainless wants to do. :)

But, I do understand about not giving devs money before the game is out. But, if we dont, then the publishers take over the game, and make it drastically different, or dumbed down, or we never even see the game come out.

It is a gamble, and I have only taken that gamble 3 times, for Carma: Reincarnation, Flatout 'spiritual successor' NCG, and Road Redemption (lol, all driving games).

Peace.
Dave3d
hit n run

Post by Dave3d »

HAHAHAHA

I love the ending, where the car is just ground to bits:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmQbUJiEax8
Too-DAMN-Much
speed freak

Post by Too-DAMN-Much »

first of all, that is some sexy damage.

second (we'll come back to it as well) why does the front only get crushed so far and then stop and the top never gets squashed like it should, which brings us to:

third, the last three with the grinding wheels almost make me think they are bull-shots since it looks like it follows such different rules of deformation as the rest.

fourth, i think i see why now that i watch again honestly, it makes sense too, the cars are simply meant to take damage much more easily from the sides than any other direction so that you can crack them up a lot without destroying it instantly, my guess anyway

[edit]added fourth point, please re-read where necessary [/edit]
hammr25
hit n run

Post by hammr25 »

Yeah, I can't imagine they want crushed cars that aren't drivable anymore since people will then complain the game is too hard because they died again.
Dave3d
hit n run

Post by Dave3d »

A bugbear interview/gameplay reactions video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxeB5c6fLMk
Dave3d
hit n run

Post by Dave3d »

hammr25 wrote:Yeah, I can't imagine they want crushed cars that aren't drivable anymore since people will then complain the game is too hard because they died again.
Again, there is a switch that you can toggle.

It toggles real life damage (it will make the car drive VERY badly if you get cruched, lose a tire, etc, real damage), and 'arcade damage' (that means your car will drive the same no matter how much damage it takes, or how twisted it looks.

:D
Craftworth
pedestrian

Post by Craftworth »

Well, I still prefer realistic damage system from BeamNG.drive.

Carmageddon Reincarnation - your turn! :)
Too-DAMN-Much
speed freak

Post by Too-DAMN-Much »

Craftworth wrote:Well, I still prefer realistic damage system from BeamNG.drive.

Carmageddon Reincarnation - your turn! :)
i thought that too until i tried beamNG.

either way, next car game is getting dangerously close to my wallet.
Purple44
hit n run

Post by Purple44 »

In less than 2 weeks Bugbear "Next Car Game" has been Greenlighted by Steam!! :)

This game has been Greenlit by the Community!

The community has shown their interest in this game. Valve has reached out to this developer to start moving things toward release on Steam.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=176123360

From Bugbear twitter page today:

BugbearEntertainment ‏@bugbeargames 2h

We have been approved for a Steam release after a very nice and fast ride through Greenlight. Thanks everyone!
Dave3d
hit n run

Post by Dave3d »

Oh yeah!

Although I would rather have it on gog.

:)
Too-DAMN-Much
speed freak

Post by Too-DAMN-Much »

yeah noticed it's been greenlighted too, glad to hear it, also glad they're so honest and open about everything in general, that if nothing else is one good thing the rise of indies and kickstarter has done, given the voice back to the paying customer and silenced the fucktard shareholders, more or less.

[edit] and then i think about rockstar and GTA V. crow tastes like shit by the way [/edit]
Purple44
hit n run

Post by Purple44 »

Here some new info about NCG pre-oders:

website pre-order vs steam??

Joonas Laakso wrote:
crazychris4124 wrote:
i also posted this on steam but

will there be any difference between those who purchased on steam and those who purchased on your website?? i got the wrecker edition which gives me a bonus car

We're not sure yet how we're going to structure the Steam Early Access. Likely it's a one size fits all deal (low price and just the game); if you want the good stuff, you need to pre-order from us. We really prefer pre-orders from us as that leaves us with considerably more of the money.

Pre-orders from us do come with Steam keys now that we're through Greenlight (once we have a Steam build available, naturally).

panic
hit n run

Post by panic »

Parts shouldn't fly off so fast. That's about the only annoyance about all the flatout games.
Purple44
hit n run

Post by Purple44 »

Here it is, Bugbear has release video of some ingame racing on a dirt track. :)

Note: This is pre-alpha build of Next Car Game.

Team Bugbear -

This is the moment you’ve all been waiting for: we’re finally ready to show you some proper racing action on a dirt track! Here we are testing with a powerful rear-wheel drive car how our handling works on gravel, and we’re glad to let you know that it feels SUPERB!

Thanks to our great physics, you really get the full white-knuckle racing experience with Next Car Game, if that’s what you prefer. On the other hand, if you’re a budding race car driver, you can still enjoy the game (and remain competitive!) by enabling a selection of driving aids.

Please note that the game is still very much work-in-progress, and what you see is not representative of the final quality. For example the track has not been properly decorated yet, and there’s a lot of additional polish that’s going to be done on it. Also, the player car damage has been disabled for the demonstration purposes.

Check out the video on our Kickstarter page and let us know what you think!

As you know, we still have a plenty of distance to cover if we’re going to succeed with our Kickstarter campaign, but you can help us meet our goal. Now it’s time for the racing game fans to unite and show us that you want a game like Next Car Game! Our team is having great fun playing the game, and we feel that no other game can match the amazing racing experience offered by Next Car Game. We can’t wait to share it with you!

PLEASE SUPPORT US AND SPREAD THE WORD!

As a bonus, here’s a few new screenshots from the same track:

Go Purple!

The Kickstarter campaign slowed down this last week, with only about 2 weeks left, Flatout fans need to get the word out and support Bugbear so they can give us the extra features they would like to add to NCG game. After watching video and you know you going want to buy Bugbear new derby/racing, go pledge $20 and pickup NCG cheap. Pledge $30 and you get to test out alpha/Early Access version later on.
lemonrev
road raged psycho

Post by lemonrev »

just put $40 bucks down, Really cant afford that much more due to xmas comming up around the corner.

But I think im more interested in what can happen in terms of modding this game as it could turn into something like a genuine rally car game with better than ever tracks and things as such go.

but Yea Ill certainly be one to go for that :).
hammr25
hit n run

Post by hammr25 »

Even if the Kickstarter "fails" the game will still get made. People who are pledging via Kickstarter should just go to the Next Car Game website and pledge there if the Kickstarter doesn't get funded.
lemonrev
road raged psycho

Post by lemonrev »

if you got to there website now, and you pledge 25$ which i have done you will get a copy of there awsume test build that allows you to beat the living crap out of 29 racers plus do whatever you wish to your car in verious stunts and things. anyways might even make a vid of it if i find out theres no nda on it. But because theres only so much you can do with a test build i have tryed most if not all of the things in it so the game looks like its really going to be a smasher for sure :P
timmy76
motorised death

Post by timmy76 »

lemonrev
road raged psycho

Post by lemonrev »

ok so you get a damage test track as i said 29 ai that from the start attach eatch other from the test demo thing i might even do a video for you guys, cause i can :P, anyways got lots of play things to destroy the car and its got live damage and i can tell you lots of damage can be done. While i think about it, i might just do that, ill make the video private but ill do a vid and ill get back to you guys if you can watch it live though the channel or whatnot.

roadsweeper just the sort of thing i was thinking of but yea tec demo sweetest thing i have played only a little bit since it gets kinda boring quickly but dang you can do a lot of shit in that lol
Trent
mindless

Post by Trent »

That looks awesome. From the video it looks like it beats the shit out of BeamNG and was enough to make me preorder it.
a.k.a. Brent
SapoPT
hit n run

Post by SapoPT »

They released a new version of the tech demo, now with more things to try, free camera, and you can even pick up objects and throw them to see the physics of the game. I've been trying it, and it looks great.

You should do the same in carmageddon! It would be great
MuscleCarFreak
speed freak

Post by MuscleCarFreak »

I also preordered it and tried the tech demo, but so far I'm not too fond of the damage system. It acts like it doesn't take the different parts of the car in account (some are tougher than others) and just squishes the whole car like play dough. I prefer the BeamNG damage model by far, it's actually the only one I would call better than Carma2's.

However, I think Bugbear tweaks more for performance and 20 cars in a demolition derby is awesome in itsself.
Purple44
hit n run

Post by Purple44 »

Thanks to all them youtude videos of the Sneak Peek playground demo and the pre-alpha release before Christmas, Bugbear has now reach their 10,000 pre-order goal:

Early Access through Steam.

16,885 Backers

$ 491,331

Next Car Game - Early Access Pre-Alpha Gameplay video

Now Bugbear can take some extra time and add some extra stuff they want to do before releasing Next Car Game. And no middle man publisher to screw things up!! ;D

Bugbear >>>

Why Do We Need Your Help?

It’s actually very simple. This is not going to be a small game, we have a lot of ambition on what Next Car Game could be. We’ve invested over one million dollars into the game already. This would normally be the time when we go looking for a publisher to take us the rest of the way. This time, however, we want to make the game that we want – the game that you want – not the game that a publisher wants. Making games costs some serious money, but if everything goes well, we’ll have a great, tight-knit community that’s going to support a lot of awesome content over the years!

We at Bugbear have a long track-record of making high-octane racing games, and we know that we can pull it through with your support. We’ve been making racing games for over 13 years, and this is our tenth (10 !) game. We’re recreating a type of experience we’ve already shipped three times on four different platforms, so we do know what we’re doing.

"Next Car Game" pre-order may go live on Steam this month and hopefully Bugbear will have pick the official new name for NCG.
lemonrev
road raged psycho

Post by lemonrev »

Purple44 < thanks for the update, even though i have there forums marked i dont really visit them that offten as i dont want to hear all the excessive ranting that people do. anyways man thanks for the small update, im glad they have there money and to see it finally on steam ie on the store front is going to give them a huge boost.
Lord Crisp
pedestrian

Post by Lord Crisp »

I have of course supported Bugbear on this one too... It looks, sounds and feels awesome. Though they have some details they need fixed, like the insane amount of damage the car takes from nothing, which is especially irretating in the Destruction Derby races, since the last third of the "race" is more of a chore than fun.

But they've done an awesome job on it.

Still looking MUCH more forward to Carmageddon, it looks like it's gonna be fully in the old Carma spirit and that one I've been missing since Carma 2... Luckily the second one also showed up on GOG now, so I'm a HAPPY man :P
Purple44
hit n run

Post by Purple44 »

Breaking news, this just got posted over at Bugbear forum today - Mixed-surface tracks thread:

Purple44 wrote:
Timo Palonen wrote:
***We're currently working on couple of tracks that feature both tarmac and gravel on the same circuit. These will be added along the way for sure.

We've got some prototype snow and mud tracks too, but they are way down the line in development at the moment. But maybe in the future... Who knows ;)

You made me smile today, this first that I have read that Bugbear is working on snow tracks!!!! :D :D :D :D

If the snow tracks won't be ready for release, I can wait until expansion pack. The snow tracks would be a good selling point for an expansion pack.

Please, please Bugbear, release a snow map. The snow tracks were very popular in Flatout 1 and in the POLL: Favorite environment, the Winter forest is second at 50 votes.

I think I will start a new thread to talk about snow tracks, instead of getting off topic here.

Now that it been confirm that Bugbear is looking at snow tracks, I want to encourage Bugbear to continue developing a snow map with different track variations and hope others will post and ask Bugbear to give us snow tracks.

Want snow tracks? Let Bugbear know here.
lemonrev
road raged psycho

Post by lemonrev »

The only thing i care for snow tracks for this game would be to make it into a rally game and not a circuit driving racing game. I dont recall flatout 1 ever having snow tracks, i know they had the first mix of dirt / road, But no snow.

But do as you please i think snow will just be like mud but white.

Check who’s online