Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

News: This IS the droid NEWS you’re looking for!

Chat about funsize Carmageddon for Android and iOS!
CHRISTIAN
pedestrian

Post by CHRISTIAN »

man and what devises will be supported, i have an xperia play it will be awesome if its support play pads
Ray Murderiz
driver

Post by Ray Murderiz »

great news for the androids. i dont have any fancy tablet or phone i only have the pc carma. but if in the future i have any of the two ill buy it. hope to hear more good news from here.
die9991
pedestrian

Post by die9991 »

Will this be moddable, or are you going to use the .obb file type?
jimday
hit n run

Post by jimday »

Espyo wrote:
jimday wrote:so guess what's will happen on 10. may too?

COINCIDENCE?

source

Surely there must be some pun with "Android" and anything related to solar eclipses, hmm...

...Also, what does 9gag have to do with it?

9gag? nothing, just surfed the interwebz and found it out. I guess the picture was relocated. it was a picture with a solar eclipse, but it got removed maybe, that's why it is showing an ad.

nevermind, I will change the picture myself.

#edit: there you go, a solar eclipse.
JuggNuttz
mechanic

Post by JuggNuttz »

fuck yeah!!! and i hope to have my new HTC One by friday too, but ill have my Toshiba Thrive ready for sure.
shane
Stainless

Post by shane »

Hey everyone - I've updated our initial news post with further information about how we will be handling the 24 hour free promotion and also the 'Upload to YouTube' Action Replay feature being absent from the Android version.

You can read this update here: http://www.carmageddon.com/news/droid-news-youre-looking
Ex-Carmageddon Community Manager - Carmageddon.com
Fasckira
mechanic

Post by Fasckira »

shane wrote:Hey everyone - I've updated our initial news post with further information about how we will be handling the 24 hour free promotion and also the 'Upload to YouTube' Action Replay feature being absent from the Android version.

You can read this update here: http://www.carmageddon.com/news/droid-news-youre-looking

Just read the update on Facebook, makes 100% sense - not much that can be done about it, sadly! Just means when Droid users do something cool they'll actually have to talk and explain it instead of just posting a link. ;)
EvanTheGamer
pedestrian

Post by EvanTheGamer »

shane wrote:Hey everyone - I've updated our initial news post with further information about how we will be handling the 24 hour free promotion and also the 'Upload to YouTube' Action Replay feature being absent from the Android version.

"Noooooooooooo!" (in Darth Vader voice)

:( I was really looking forward to sharing my crazy, insane crash videos with peeps on YouTube. :( Ah well, way it goes I suppose. What about Facebook sharing integration though? Is this still being implemented into the Android version, or was this feature cut, as well?

Thanks, and can't wait until this Friday!
deadsheep
hit n run

Post by deadsheep »

This guys, is one of the many reasons I always disliked Android. 2.3.6 and below is horrible (4.0+ is OK, but no more than that, and i'm no iOS fanboy, I own a Galaxy Tab 10.1), however it's a role part of the android share.

Either way, I just hope android dies in no more than 3 years. We need a way better OS that takes all the capabilities from these quad-cores, not some linux kernel filled with ugly java on top that doesn't even do *good* multitasking (thankfully it does some sort of multitasking already, but it's far from impressive) and a shit ton of other stuff.

(rant about android is over)

Great work, Stainless Games! Can't wait for day 10, been waiting for this too long! Hope you guys get some good sales, because I'm going to be a cheap bastard and grab the promo instead!
Breakin'Benny
speed freak

Post by Breakin'Benny »

I suppose I'll have to deal with the minecart rails (Mining Complex) in the PROMO version, in case you don't fix before May 10th

Oh well, I hope you guys don't mind fixing the rails in the Mining Complex along with the signs I highlighted in the Bleak City Outskirts
scorpeeon
pedestrian

Post by scorpeeon »

Thanks for the update.

I agree that reaching the most devices must be top priority.

Sure I don't know any technical details about how you wanted to implement the uploading to Youtube feature, but I'm pretty sure that it can be done quite easily by a few program lines simply by passing an Intent, and all the hard work of uploading would be done outside of the app by the Youtube app. You can even pass a general Intent so that you could share the video with any compatible program installed (Youtube, Dropbox, Drive, Gmail, or any other program supporting sharing) without any additional work. You can easily test this if you have any moderately recent Android device, just open the gallery, select a video, press the share button and you'll see a list of all capable programs installed including Youtube. And I'm also pretty sure that at least around 95% of devices would have no problem handling that. Sure if you can export the video to the gallery (usually all videos in the filesystem appear in the gallery) the users can also do that with a few extra clicks.

Anyway as I said earlier I found this Youtube sharing stuff not a really mandatory feature, so while I found it strange that you didn't implement it (while it should be magnitudes easier than on iOS where you could do it), I really don't care much about it. Considering that only one developer worked on it, getting it done at all is already a huge accomplishment, so cheers.

What i care more about is the PROMO version of the game which is said to be removed after day 1 so hence it will be unsupported and never updated. I'm really unsure if this is the best way to do it. Sure you can't make free apps later to be paid, but there's more choice, there are other ways to do this. For instance you can make it an in-app purchase being $0 for the first 24 hours. This way there would be no need for a separate version and there would be no need to remove it so it could be updated and supported later. (A suggestion found here in the comments: AndroidPolice)
Jimothey
turbo bastard

Post by Jimothey »

After reading this update news, I also agree completely, and I do hope it's implemented at a later stage. with the Promo version/ paid version, I'm almost tempted to wait the 24 hours and just get the paid version.

If Youtube IS implemented at a later stage would we have to pay extra for this content? I wouldn't mind either way.
Carma Killer's Gonna Get You!
ForeignKid
driver

Post by ForeignKid »

Is there a chance to can get a kind of DRM free(android Market free) apk version?

reasons:

1. when I install from the market it tries to install to the internal phone memory, which in my case sucks.. when i intall apks from the pc, i can install them directly to the SD card which is awesome. (eg: Superbrothers Sword & Sworcery - 200Mb, internal mem - <200Mb.. installed to SD, works like a charm)

2. there are a lot of games I can't install from the market due to phonemodel restrictions.. but if I get my hands on the apks, like from HumbleBundle, I can install them and they work without any problems.. (eg: Superbrothers Sword & Sworcery again - restricted by the market for ZTE blade. installed from the apk, works like a charm)
Ride the bike now!..
..the funk soul brother!!
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

We're talkin a $2 or $3 app here. Ask your mom for an increase in your allowance.
hazardic
motorised death

Post by hazardic »

i have a question for Shane

will be a regular payable Carmageddon version available since 10 may? or it will be available only after PROMO version will disappear from market? cause i'd rather stick with full supported version
shane
Stainless

Post by shane »

hazardic wrote:i have a question for Shane

will be a regular payable Carmageddon version available since 10 may? or it will be available only after PROMO version will disappear from market? cause I'd rather stick with full supported version
The paid for version will also be available on Friday.

We've just posted our FAQ on what devices we have tested Carmageddon for Android on - you can view this list here: http://www.carmageddon.com/funsize/support/carmageddon/24451
hazardic
motorised death

Post by hazardic »

ok, thanks for the answer

shane wrote:
We've just posted our FAQ on what devices we have tested Carmageddon for Android on - you can view this list here:

aaand as i see it seems there is no devices with fullHD panels - does it mean they are not supported?

cause there is no new devices like htc one, galaxy s4 or sony Xperia Z
Jimothey
turbo bastard

Post by Jimothey »

As Shane said, those are the devices they have tested it on. I have an HTC One X so I will be relaying my experiences, but with the other devices listed, I see no problem in my phone running the game.
Carma Killer's Gonna Get You!
shane
Stainless

Post by shane »

Just a quick update on my previous post regarding when the paid version is available - I've just been corrected that the paid version will also be available on Friday too! Apologies for any confusion!
jimday
hit n run

Post by jimday »

shane wrote:
hazardic wrote:i have a question for Shane

will be a regular payable Carmageddon version available since 10 may? or it will be available only after PROMO version will disappear from market? cause I'd rather stick with full supported version

The paid for version will also be available on Friday.

We've just posted our FAQ on what devices we have tested Carmageddon for Android on - you can view this list here: http://www.carmageddon.com/funsize/support/carmageddon/24451

very impressive support list!

now we play the waiting game....
Carmanen
driver

Post by Carmanen »

Impressive? Are you kidding me? But i guess those are just the testing devices, NOT all the devices that are supported. But if those really are the only devices that are supported, it's nowhere near impressive, no offense, but it's pathetic.
Fasckira
mechanic

Post by Fasckira »

Carmanen wrote:Impressive? Are you kidding me? But i guess those are just the testing devices, NOT all the devices that are supported. But if those really are the only devices that are supported, it's nowhere near impressive, no offense, but it's pathetic.
It is an impressive list, I think you may be slightly biased on account of your phone not being supported though?
Carmanen
driver

Post by Carmanen »

Of course i am as Xperia go is not uncommon device, it's quite popular. So, is this it, no Carmageddon for me and one year of waiting has gone to waste? Please tell me this isn't true:/
Carmanen
driver

Post by Carmanen »

Ok, let me clear things up. As a testing device list, it is impressive but as supported devices list (different thing), it's definitely not. And my message was not that personal because i would have said same thing if my device had been on that list. Shane now needs to clear things up and answer if the testing device list is same as supported device list? Stainless said they decided not to add Youtube replay support (or whatever) because it would have meant that support would only been about 10% of all Android devices but that list is less than 10%. I understood from their blog that Stainless wanted to support as many devices as possible but that list CAN'T be that, can it? Please Shane, clear this confusion.
Trent
mindless

Post by Trent »

It says in very clear letters at the top of the list:

Good question! Here’s a list of the Android devices that WE'VE TESTED Carmageddon on SO FAR:
Naturally there's so many thousands of millions of android devices it's impossible for them to list all the compatible devices. I expect that list will grow when it goes public as people test it on their phones.
a.k.a. Brent
shane
Stainless

Post by shane »

I've just updated our FAQ post with more information to make it clear. The list of devices we posted are devices we have TESTED the game with. This is NOT a list of the only supported devices - there are far too many! Please read the updated FAQ for more information - http://www.carmageddon.com/funsize/support/carmageddon/24451
Breakin'Benny
speed freak

Post by Breakin'Benny »

If Android can't upload to YouTube, I hope it can still record replays so you can USB into your PC, and then upload the replay from there?
jimday
hit n run

Post by jimday »

Carmanen wrote:Of course i am as Xperia go is not uncommon device, it's quite popular. So, is this it, no Carmageddon for me and one year of waiting has gone to waste? Please tell me this isn't true:/
are you mad inside?

you waited one whole year to play carmageddon 1 on your cellular phone?

if you had donated $ to kickstarter (tsk tsk, like most of us did), you easily could have had the GOG prize, which was free carmageddon + splat pack on PC.
Trent
mindless

Post by Trent »

Breakin'Benny wrote:If Android can't upload to YouTube, I hope it can still record replays so you can USB into your PC, and then upload the replay from there?
I assume the limitation is in regards to the recording of video rather than the upload procedure itself. The in-game replays would likely be stored as a description of the gamestate over time (e.g. a data file telling the game "this car is here, moving in that direction and this speed, then X seconds later it turns and brakes" etc.) which is very little data and requires very little processing. Recording actual video footage from the replay is a power hungry procedure and I imagine a lot of the lower-end android devices would throw a fit at doing it.
a.k.a. Brent
jimday
hit n run

Post by jimday »

Trent wrote:
Breakin'Benny wrote:If Android can't upload to YouTube, I hope it can still record replays so you can USB into your PC, and then upload the replay from there?

I assume the limitation is in regards to the recording of video rather than the upload procedure itself. The in-game replays would likely be stored as a description of the gamestate over time (e.g. a data file telling the game "this car is here, moving in that direction and this speed, then X seconds later it turns and brakes" etc.) which is very little data and requires very little processing. Recording actual video footage from the replay is a power hungry procedure and I imagine a lot of the lower-end android devices would throw a fit at doing it.

Trent's right, but if you could save the demo with that little data and numbers, and export it, say on to a pc where you could compile it and convert it, th\at would be useful enough. little bit of work, but hey. it's free.

*edit* on second thought, editing and fiddling is not for everybody.
psylence
pedestrian

Post by psylence »

Works great on my Sony Xperia Z and Sony Tablet P. Thank you! Greetings from Russia :)
Carmanen
driver

Post by Carmanen »

I can happily say that Carmageddon works flawlessly on my Xperia go (JB 4.1.2)... ...so reliefed now:) Btw, how is the game already out when there's still counter running here saying 12 hours? :D
tsutton
pedestrian

Post by tsutton »

After the first 24 hours of its release, the PROMO version of the game will be removed from Google Play and will no longer be available. Subsequently, the PROMO version will be unsupported because we have no way to update the title once it's taken down.

This isn't how we would have wanted to do this but it's the only choice. It's not possible to change an app from free to paid on Google Play. So, in the unlikely event that players experience problems with the PROMO version, the solution will be to either download the FREE (demo version) version, or "upgrade" to the FULL paid version. This will only cost you £1.49 and for that, you'll be getting the full benefit of support and updates for the lifetime of the game. So c'mon now everybody, that's GOT to be more than a fair deal!

So what does it mean for the backers? How do we keep our free copy of the game updated?

Thanks.
Pringlos
mechanic

Post by Pringlos »

Hey, I thought the release was supposed to be tomorrow? Not that I'm complaining, the game runs great!

I've played it for a while on my Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 (P5110) runnin Jelly Bean 4.1.1. My first race on Maim Street crashed after about 10 seconds after the start, but otherwise the game has been running smoothly and flawlessly. I changed the on-screen controls a bit to suit my taste and hand size a bit better and was ready to crash and maim.

I like the updates to some of the 2D sprites, such as the damage indicator and the car sprites used for the starting grid. The control scheme is really good in my opinion. Accessing the map is easy, as is recovering and repairing the car. Speaking of updates, did Vlad's car always do a wheelie?

The only issue I've had with the game this early is the camera. I thought I saw a way to pinch the screen to zoom the camera in and out? I tried that a couple of times but nothing happened. EDIT: I now learnt how the pinch controls work, but there are still only the two camera options to choose from. More freely adjustable camera is something I'd like to see in a future update. On PC I always played with a little zoomed-out view and would like to do so on my tablet too.

Overall, my initial response to the game is great! The game is just like it was back on PC, just a bit better here and there, apart from the limited camera options. Definitely worth the wait. Also, the release came at the perfect moment as I have to separate myself from my PC for the next weekend. Luckily my tablet and Carmageddon will follow me.

PS. Is there a way to do the wheelspin? :)
cr4zyjay
hit n run

Post by cr4zyjay »

i know how to make android game videos and i`ll be uploading quite a few carmageddon videos over the next coming week/s. keep checking here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/cr4zyjay

i will also gladly make a new thread on how i get these done to provide other droid users means of doing their own videos as well. it's all free software i use and nothing is illegal.

Check who’s online