Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Gaming Notebook Problem

The 2016 reincarnation of Carmageddon! Thanks, SCi!
Teutonicus
turbo bastard

Gaming Notebook Problem

Post by Teutonicus »

Hi folks,

I just bought a gaming notebook with the following data:

resolution: 1.920 x 1.080 (Full-HD), 16:9

Prozessor: Intel® Core™ i7-6700HQ Quad-Core-Prozessor (4x 2,6 GHz, bis zu 3,5 GHz Intel Turbo Boost, 6 MB 3rd Level Cache)

Grafik: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 960M mit 4 GB GDDR5 VRAM

RAM: 16 GB DDR4

1000 GB HDD (S-ATA, 5400 U/min) + 256 GB Solid-State-Drive (SSD)

SOmehow C:R gives me an average FPS of 20-25. graphic settings are on "best visuals". Is there something I can do to improve performance? C:R runs better on my old desktop PC.

Thanks for helping!
FatCat
mindless

Gaming Notebook Problem

Post by FatCat »

Here's the settings that look the most like ultra but still run very well:

Resolution: 1600x900

Car culling: Mid

Ped Dist: Mid

World Dist: Mid

Shadow Qual: Low

Headlights: Player

Transparent Shadows: On

Anti Aliasing: Off

Motion blur: Off

Depth of Field: Off

Bloom: On

Ambient Occlusion: On

Particle Quality: High

Car reflection: Medium

Skidmarks: All
tonrac
speed freak

Gaming Notebook Problem

Post by tonrac »

By "best visuals" do you mean "best quality" setting ? Because if it 's that your Gpu cannot run the game at those setting and that's perfectly normal..

In term of performance a 980m is almost egual to a 970 desktop and a 970m is almost egual to a 960 desktop. To run CR maxxed out in FHD at a good framerate you need an equivalent to a 780 - 970 desktop class card.

A GTX960m http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-960M.138006.0.html is a mid-range card, you are almost at the performance of a 750Ti desktop http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-GTX-750-Ti-Desktop-Graphics-Card.126721.0.html with maybe 10 to 15 % more performance.

So you need to make some compromise.

Try Fatcat setting, it will help a lot, the others component of your configuration (CPU, Memory etc) are powerfull enough ;)

BTW, with Carmageddon Max Damage, we will maybe see performance boost (like they need to make a lot of optimisation in order to make the game run at 1080P 30Fps on PS4) ...
Teutonicus
turbo bastard

Gaming Notebook Problem

Post by Teutonicus »

Thanks FatCat! your settings gave me some extra 10fps. I was just wondering, if it´s "normal" that my gaming notebook can´t handle C:R on best visuals...
FatCat
mindless

Gaming Notebook Problem

Post by FatCat »

Yeah, i'd say so, C:R all maxed out is pretty heavy even on my rig with an FX-8350 cpu and a GTX 760 gpu.
tonrac
speed freak

Gaming Notebook Problem

Post by tonrac »

Yes it's perfectly normal ... like i said before your gpu could be compare (in term of performance) to a 750TI desktop and not a 960 desktop. (don't trust the renaming marketing of Nvidia)

And in 2016 the 750Ti is in the lower-mid-range graphics card ... In the link i post above, you will see the performance of your Gpu in multiple game, and could see that you will have to make compromise in a lot of game.
Teutonicus
turbo bastard

Gaming Notebook Problem

Post by Teutonicus »

Thanks for that clarification Tonrac!
tonrac
speed freak

Gaming Notebook Problem

Post by tonrac »

I am sorry for you, you bought a new laptop thinking you got a really good GPU and that's not the case.

I blame Nvidia marketing for that ... and it got a lot of consequences on game support.

For example, It's difficult to explain to people that his 750m is an entry level Gpu when in front a 750ti desktop is a mid range Gpu in 2013.

In general when people ask me what Gpu they must choose on laptop, i said:

- For gaming on old games or not graphics intensive games (CounterStrike, point and click games) actual X6Xm card is enough,

a X6Xm Gpu will run modern tittle, in FHD medium setting with a framerate at 30Fps.

- If you want to have a good gaming experience on laptop, for me the minimum is a X7XM Gpu, it will almost have the performance of an X6X desktop Gpu and could be considered a mid-range card. A X7XM card could play some modern title maxxed out and other at high setting, but you need to make compromise if you want to run all your tittle at 60FPS.

- If you want to play without making (almost) any compromise, you need a X8XM Gpu that got almost the performance of a X7X desktop Gpu.

The majority of your game could be played maxxed out at 60Fps....

And finally for those who don't need mobility, a desktop computer will cost you less money for better performance. (a 980m is the double of a desktop 970 price)

Check who’s online