Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Game failing to start

The 2016 reincarnation of Carmageddon! Thanks, SCi!
Hank Scorpio
pedestrian

Game failing to start

Post by Hank Scorpio »

Hi Guys,

I have downloaded the game and am trying to get it to run in Steam. When I click Play, a Steam Dialog box pops up for a split second saying "Preparing to launch Carmageddon Reincarnation". This is immediately followed by the Carmageddon splash screen for another split second, then nothing.

.net framework and direct x are both up to date

specs:

windows 7 64 bit

intel i7-3770 3.40Ghz

16GB RAM

nvidia geforce gtx 560 ti

Any help is much appreciated as I can't wait to get this running.

Cheers
Cocorickoo
pedestrian

Game failing to start

Post by Cocorickoo »

got the same problem... the logo is showing up, then black screen, then its gone.
koloboko
pedestrian

Game failing to start

Post by koloboko »

Yep same for me. Logo then black screen and comp fails to respond. My specs are similar to OP except the card is ATI
Mr.Deviance
speed freak

Game failing to start

Post by Mr.Deviance »

Hank Scorpio wrote:Hi Guys,

I have downloaded the game and am trying to get it to run in Steam. When I click Play, a Steam Dialog box pops up for a split second saying "Preparing to launch Carmageddon Reincarnation". This is immediately followed by the Carmageddon splash screen for another split second, then nothing.

.net framework and direct x are both up to date

specs:

windows 7 64 bit

intel i7-3770 3.40Ghz

16GB RAM

nvidia geforce gtx 560 ti

Any help is much appreciated as I can't wait to get this running.

Cheers

It could be likely because your video card drivers.

Nvidia drivers really usually hate 560 ti cards. I've had that card too in an older test pc and lots of games refused to work with that videocard for some reason, even when they work with the same drivers on older videocards...

Either Stainless needs to ask nvidia to release a driver update to support carmageddon reincarnation on 560ti or stainless needs to fix what's causing carmageddon not to start on the 560ti if that's the culprit.
jakubmisek
pedestrian

Game failing to start

Post by jakubmisek »

The same problem with

Win7 64bit, i7-2600, 16GB, HD 7700@2GB
pasy01
pedestrian

Game failing to start

Post by pasy01 »

hi :)

I will not start.

It starts to load the game. (Before the race, the loading screen) and crashes the whole: ((

idea ?
jowatta
pedestrian

Game failing to start

Post by jowatta »

hey,have the same problem.

close fraps and start game.worked for me!
GeOs
mechanic

Game failing to start

Post by GeOs »

Had the same problem. I shut down all the applications that can interfere with app window. In my case they were: teamwiever, screenshot reader. Maybe some others. try closing all unnecessary apps.
3dwizard
mechanic

Game failing to start

Post by 3dwizard »

I have this exact same problem :(

What could be wrong?
GeOs
mechanic

Game failing to start

Post by GeOs »

3dwizard wrote:I have this exact same problem :(

What could be wrong?

Read the fucking message above! ))) Some apps, that can interfere fullscreen mode can cause the crash.

edit: TeamViewer, screenshot scanner and RAM-consuming apps (Lightroom) don't affect this. Seems to be some random crashes. (Good job, Sherlock)
Dodo Bizar
driver

Game failing to start

Post by Dodo Bizar »

When I put everything on max like texture quality it will load a while, eventually an engine noise appears but the loading screen stays for minutes... then I usually get bored and restart the PC. Got this in the 2 new levels, Countryslide and the chemical plant (Magnasomething).

Seems like dropping texture quality (or whatever it says in the options screen) to medium/hard solves the problem. Probably a memory issue. I got 4Gb RAM and 2Gb onboard my graphics card.
Hank Scorpio
pedestrian

Game failing to start

Post by Hank Scorpio »

Thanks for the replies guys, still no luck with this unfortunately though, gutted.

All graphics card drivers are up to date and everything. Never had any problems running games on this rig before; Assassins Creed 4, Battlefield 4, Tomb Raider, all on high settings so this just seems very out of the ordinary.

I've uninstalled and re-installed numerous times and ran a Steam integrity check but still can't help feeling I'm missing some files or something. No sign of the config.lua file anywhere that others have mentioned :/
Ka-Boom
hit n run

Game failing to start

Post by Ka-Boom »

Same issues here. With no solution on sight, I'm just hoping this gets optimized someday.
Hank Scorpio
pedestrian

Game failing to start

Post by Hank Scorpio »

Ok so for testing purposes I also obtained the game via torrent to see if any differences could be found.

Turns out it runs like a beauty at 30-40 fps!

Strange thing though, the illegitimate copy I downloaded contained much more game files than the version I downloaded via Steam (the config.lua for example). So I can only conclude that even after numerous uninstalls, re-installs and Steam integrity checks, when I download from Steam the game files are incomplete.

It's a shame, but at least I get to enjoy the game now finally.
Ka-Boom
hit n run

Game failing to start

Post by Ka-Boom »

Hank Scorpio wrote:Ok so for testing purposes I also obtained the game via torrent to see if any differences could be found.

Turns out it runs like a beauty at 30-40 fps!

Strange thing though, the illegitimate copy I downloaded contained much more game files than the version I downloaded via Steam (the config.lua for example). So I can only conclude that even after numerous uninstalls, re-installs and Steam integrity checks, when I download from Steam the game files are incomplete.

It's a shame, but at least I get to enjoy the game now finally.

That's interesting. So the problem might be Steam's? I'll have to check it.
DoktorMandrake
hit n run

Game failing to start

Post by DoktorMandrake »

Dodo Bizar wrote:When I put everything on max like texture quality it will load a while, eventually an engine noise appears but the loading screen stays for minutes... then I usually get bored and restart the PC. Got this in the 2 new levels, Countryslide and the chemical plant (Magnasomething).

Seems like dropping texture quality (or whatever it says in the options screen) to medium/hard solves the problem. Probably a memory issue. I got 4Gb RAM and 2Gb onboard my graphics card.

I'd say get some more ram, that's the good thing about ram it's cheap :)

I'm on 8GB Ram and 2GB VRAM gtx 760 and when I try to run max settings everything is like a REEEALLLY long screenshow, like a new frame every 20 seconds roughly? I'm just gonna play on low for now

Ka-Boom wrote:Same issues here. With no solution on sight, I'm just hoping this gets optimized someday.
Final optimizations wont be done until nearer to final release, yeah they will be optimization hot fixes in-between but all the optimization issues aren't just going to be fixed all at once

Read their FAQ's and stuff, theres a troubleshoot sticky at the top of the threads page
xuty
pedestrian

Game failing to start

Post by xuty »

Hi all,

first post so don't blame on me :P

I've tried it with my now old PC:

- Core 2 Duo E6600 @2,4 GHz

- 2x OCZ SLI-Ready 2GB @800MHz

- Striker Extreme BIOS v2002

- 2x XFX GeForce 8800 GTS 640MB

- 3x Intel 520 SSD @RAID 5

and got different results here (of course, all settings in ultra low, and doesn't get a lot of frames when someone appears in my point of view...):

- it works with Windows 7 SP1 drivers (a 2009 version).

- it doesn't work with updated drivers, either Windows Update or NVIDIA directly.

I'm trying to find which newer drivers works, but still on it...

At least i've tried with the ones released this year and still fails, so will try to find older ones.

I've upgraded CPU to Q6600 (finally quad, but nothing gets really much faster here)

I'm planning to upgrade RAM to 8GB @1066MHz, liquid cooler to make OC on CPU, and a new graphics card (this last option the least expensive one (GTX650 with 2GB GDDR5 - 128bits) while waiting for GTX 8XX arrives), but still not buying it because of these drivers problems.

If it's not going to work with latest drivers, WTF!?

Will update if I find the one which works ;)
Errol
Toxic Ranger

Game failing to start

Post by Errol »

The current build uses quite a bit of VRAM. You don't even have a gig of it. I'd recommend replacing the graphics card first and foremost and go from there.

Also the game will happily use the latest NVIDIA drivers (I'm currently using 337.88 direct from NVIDIA). Again, possibly due to the card.
:: You wanna build a snowman mod C:R? Get Flummery, the Carmageddon modders tool. ::
stiezo
pedestrian

Game failing to start

Post by stiezo »

hi new to to the community but not new to carmageddon, had the demo of this game when i was a teenager and it blew my mind at the time. with the fear factory playing in the back ground i was in heaven. Was pretty psyched to that a new version was bein made. So i just bought this last night and seem to be having the same issue that the Op has stated here. have my latest drivers from nvidia and i have the gtx 555. nobody likes a tease lol and id really love to see this issue resolved.
Errol
Toxic Ranger

Game failing to start

Post by Errol »

This thread has become a hodgepodge of different problems. Could you clarify whether you're able to get into the menus but it fails to start a race or whether you can't get past the splashscreen?
:: You wanna build a snowman mod C:R? Get Flummery, the Carmageddon modders tool. ::
stiezo
pedestrian

Game failing to start

Post by stiezo »

yeah the carmegeddon screen pops up, everthing goes black. than back to windows.
1BJK903
pedestrian

Game failing to start

Post by 1BJK903 »

I am stuck...

I can't race. I am stuck on the splash screen just before the race. Where does it go wrong? I mean I can play NBA 2K14 on high graphics without a problem, but this game I can't...

Help me please.
psycho_1016
pedestrian

Game failing to start

Post by psycho_1016 »

i cant even start the game it just goes to a black screen and a stupid thing comes up saying oh bugger the irony please report bugs to this blahblahblah i have no wasted 30 fucking gig downloading and redownloading this and its not my laptop its a 2k venom gaming laptop i just find this pretty bad from a game so does anyone have any way of fixing this problem?
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Game failing to start

Post by Toshiba-3 »

You could try editing config.lua to set lower quality settings, start the game windowed and in a smaller resolution. Just to see if it starts. If it does you could start to increasing the quality settings until you find the culprit that makes the game crash.

Also, make sure the game uses your gfx card and not an integrated one (Intel stuff etc.).
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
labrys
pedestrian

Game failing to start

Post by labrys »

I got it working once for a bit before realising my Geforce 8800 GT was stupidly slow playing it. Couple of months later I got a GeForce 750 Ti and it wont start up at all now. I deleted the config.lua and it dosnt even make it again now (i kept a backup thankfully).

Anyone got a reply from that carmegddon bugger submission?
8-bit
pedestrian

Game failing to start

Post by 8-bit »

update windows they said, did not work
k3wl4r
pedestrian

Game failing to start

Post by k3wl4r »

Also, I have a problem ..

When you start the game starts only 2 seconds without sound image and then the whole game freezes.

Win7 64bit, 8 GB RAM, R7 250X 1GB AMD Trinity-A6-5400K OC 4GHz

update windows did not help :(
Xmulder1
driver

Game failing to start

Post by Xmulder1 »

Oh people.yet this is beta ,recently married hot fix

6674 only what himself changed,this that I do not have strange black strips :)

and himself sticking on normal/low settings
dantallus9
pedestrian

Game failing to start

Post by dantallus9 »

I'd say if you drop missed files from pirate copy into the steam carmageddon folder the game might run... just try and see what happen??? and please let us know is it working... good luck (the force be with U...)
boith
pedestrian

Game failing to start

Post by boith »

I just wanna say I'm having issues as well. I did a Windows reinstall a couple nights ago (complete, reinstall off of usb, redo my raid arrays) because the game wasn't opening (splash screen followed by VCRedist error. The game worked the next morning after reinstall, and mid day today. But as soon as I got home and hopped on my rig to play, I open the game, I get the splash screen, followed by a black screen, followed by the whole VCRedist error (the application has requested for the runtime to terminate it in an ununsual way or something). I'm a bit angry, I've tried everything in this thread and nothing. Currently running windows 10 64 bit. The game is located outside of the C: drive as I have installed steam on a separate drive. My specs aren't the issue, 5820K@4.5 GHz, GTX 1070 FTW with GeForce driver 375.70. Also, some games I opened after playing reincarnation installed certain versions of .net and DirectX. $30 and I get a game that doesn't work 95% of the time. The sad part is that it's really fun when it does work.

Check who’s online