Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

OS X Version Now Please

The 2016 reincarnation of Carmageddon! Thanks, SCi!
DerekCurrie
pedestrian

OS X Version Now Please

Post by DerekCurrie »

OS X Version Now Please

Tired of waiting! I joined the Kickstarter campaign all those years ago for a Mac OS X version. I want it now please!!!
FatCat
mindless

OS X Version Now Please

Post by FatCat »

But derekk, if they were to put out the Mac version right now as we speak, they'd most certainly have to get extra work done to make each subsequent update work flawlessly on both systems. Eh?
Trent
mindless

OS X Version Now Please

Post by Trent »

You make it sound like they either have an OSX version ready but are just holding it back out of spite or can just press a button and release an OSX version?

They have always said they would port the game to OSX and Linux after work on the game's core is finished. They are still making major changes to the engine and there is no point in porting to other platforms until that work is done as that would just delay this core engine work due to less people working on it and delay the ports due to them being constantly behind the rewriting which is going on for the Windows version. It sounds like they are nearing the tail end of all the core engine work they've been slaving away on so it's safe to assume they will start porting to OSX relatively soon.

Getting angry and demanding it right now with three exclamation marks won't change anything, the OSX version will be ready as soon as they can have it ready.
a.k.a. Brent
TwIsTeDMiNd
speed freak

OS X Version Now Please

Post by TwIsTeDMiNd »

exactly Trent, you should take a look at the last update comments on the kickstarter page, it's ridiculous the amount of complains over there.
Epitaph
motorised death

OS X Version Now Please

Post by Epitaph »

and here i thought OSX and Linux users were more mature than Windows users...

Oh stupid me!
DerekCurrie
pedestrian

OS X Version Now Please

Post by DerekCurrie »

Sorry you're so out of touch. I stick with what I wrote. Go drown some puppies or something.
DerekCurrie
pedestrian

OS X Version Now Please

Post by DerekCurrie »

Another out of touch loon. Flock together, fly into walls together.

I think what we require is MORE complaints, loud, long, clear, demanding, annoyed, ticked off, really really tired of waiting.

Now you go drown some kitties.

So many maniacals on the net. So many opportunities to tell them to shove off.
Epitaph
motorised death

OS X Version Now Please

Post by Epitaph »

The butthurt is so strong!

LOL
shane
Stainless

OS X Version Now Please

Post by shane »

Hi DerekCurrie,

Mac and Linux versions are still planned but we are unable to put a date to this while work still continues on improving the Windows version.
Ex-Carmageddon Community Manager - Carmageddon.com
tdb
pedestrian

OS X Version Now Please

Post by tdb »

Do you maybe have some kind of minimum estimate based on how much work is planned for the Windows version? Would it be too optimistic to hope for the ports in 2016?
FunnyOctopus
aka Privata

OS X Version Now Please

Post by FunnyOctopus »

Cant you use bootcamp or something?

Install a new partition until you get the OSX version?

I understand you want it , but making games is not easy and there is no point in making an OSX version if the base version is not ready to port.

At least its something thats going to happen at some point , its not like if they said its never going to happen.
Freeride Forever
turbo bastard

OS X Version Now Please

Post by Freeride Forever »

Yeah since the proper (Windows) version still needs plenty of work, I think you're outta luck there butt fuck. Maybe try catching up to the rest of the world & use the right OS instead, yeah?
Epitaph
motorised death

OS X Version Now Please

Post by Epitaph »

tdb wrote:Do you maybe have some kind of minimum estimate based on how much work is planned for the Windows version? Would it be too optimistic to hope for the ports in 2016?
i'm speculating of course, but i think 2016 could reveal a Linux Release. I'd say Q4 of 2016 could be a possible estimate.

The folks at Stainless have really made leaps in this product. What it'll get from now on is new groundbreaking features. Except from maps. But yeah, have patience lads.
Arcanum-XIII
pedestrian

OS X Version Now Please

Post by Arcanum-XIII »

Hard to have patience when you've paid money 3 years ago for features that still need to be there, especially when you see that they put the game on sale every now and then.

Being a dev myself, I can empathize on the hard word needed to be multiplatform; still it's better to under promise and over deliver than the other way around. By the way : no, rebooting my computer for a game is not a good option. This is not what was written, confirmed and proudly put front and center.
tdb
pedestrian

OS X Version Now Please

Post by tdb »

I've noticed elsewhere that Carmageddon: Reincarnation has started to gain a promised-but-never-came-for-linux reputation. In order to avoid things escalating, could you post some kind of roadmap of what is still planned for the Windows version before the Linux port can be started? I'd also like to know if you're going to create the Linux version in-house or employ another company for it? Have you considered multiplatform aspects at all when creating your custom engine or is it made purely with Windows in mind?
Trent
mindless

OS X Version Now Please

Post by Trent »

As they have explained on numerous occasions they are still doing major work on multi-threading the game and improving the renderer, among other performance related enhancements. That's as detailed a roadmap as we are going to get because any more detail would need them to go into full technical details about what the work involves which is a waste of everyone's time. Asking how long it will take is the same as asking how long is a piece of string.

The engine itself is a multi-platform engine already. It supports the following platforms, as listed on the company's technology page:

Platforms supported:
  • PLAYSTATION 4, PLAYSTATION 3 INCLUDING PSN

• XBOX ONE, XBOX 360 INCLUDING LIVE ARCADE

• NINTENDO DS/DSI/3DS

• NINTENDO WII

• ANDROID & IOS

• IPHONE AND IPAD (INCLUDING GAME CENTER)

• WINDOWS/APPLE MAC OS X

It's the same engine they used for the mobile C1 port and the same engine they use for their Magic The Gathering games which are released on pretty much every platform under the sun. Linux is pretty much the only platform they don't have native support for in their engine, however most of the supported platforms are UNIX-like so porting to Linux isn't a big deal. While other platforms are supported by the engine there is a lot of game specific code and work which needs to be ported before the game will work on those platforms as Carma is a shit load more complex and demanding than their other games.

The good news is that over the last few months Nobby has teased that info about porting the game to other platforms may be coming some time in the new year so, as the saying goes, stay tuned.
a.k.a. Brent
tdb
pedestrian

OS X Version Now Please

Post by tdb »

Why so condescending? I thought a rough roadmap was a perfectly valid request. I checked the email updates and blog and while there have been announcements of performance improvements that have been made, none of them had any information of what they are still planning to do. On the forums this thread is the only one about ports with any recent activity. Perhaps you'd like to link some of these "numerous occasions" for me since I'm so inept at finding them?

It's not like I was asking a dump of their bug tracker either (though being a programmer myself if would certainly be interesting). Just some info in how close they are to the performance target (should be straightforward since performance can be measured) and how much content is still planned for the base game before DLCs (number of maps and cars is also easily quantifiable). If this information is already available in some difficult-to-find location, then all that is needed is to copy it or post a link somewhere that's easier to find.
bbkr
pedestrian

OS X Version Now Please

Post by bbkr »

I've backed up Kickstarter campaign on May 2012. OS X version was promised. On June 2012 payment was processed. It is now February 2016 and I still cannot play the game.

Moreover I just received newsletter that Carmageddon is coming to... console.

So please cut this "we are unable to put a date to this while work still continues on improving the Windows version"bullsh*t!

Focus your resources on what you were paid for and deliver OS X version!

And I don't seriously care if you will have to maintain 1, 2 or 100 code branches.

You took the money over 3 years ago without providing promised product and that is simply scam.

Not to mention that when you deliver OS X version for 15$ I paid this game will be already lying on "5$ sale" piles in shopping malls.

If I don't see any roadmap and release date for OS X by the end of February I'm starting refund process on Kickstarter.

Sorry guys, you had my support, I can understand delays and issues, but this has gone too far.
Arcanum-XIII
pedestrian

OS X Version Now Please

Post by Arcanum-XIII »

At least stainless is good at something : making us talk, talk, talk. Meanwhile, they're not doing much beside keeping us in the dark... So I have to agree : I've paid a Kickstarter 5 years to get a game on my platform of choice, and now I got to learn that I'm not anymore a valued customer, but someone it's okay to rip off his money.

Not that the Windows guys are more lucky : the game is unfinished, and will never be fully done. So they have to keep faith that the console version will be better, since it will be the "final" one, the game they were promised too...

It's hard to keep faith in face of those announcements and the recurring problem we've seen so far.
FatCat
mindless

OS X Version Now Please

Post by FatCat »

Remember guys, the PS4 cannot run DirectX.

Linux & OSX & PS4 all run OpenGL. Wait until the OpenGL version of the game runs on PS4 hardware, and it shouldnt take long until that version is ported to Mac and Linux.
bbkr
pedestrian

OS X Version Now Please

Post by bbkr »

I've started refund process on Kickstarter.

I'll post follow up once I get reply from them.

"Wait until the OpenGL version of the game runs on PS4 hardware, and it shouldnt take long until that version is ported to Mac and Linux."

Nope.

No more waiting.

OS X and Linux were supposed to be made as part of original Kickstarter campaign, so they should come first.
LordToastALot
speed freak

OS X Version Now Please

Post by LordToastALot »

Ok.
Bet that hurt!
FatCat
mindless

OS X Version Now Please

Post by FatCat »

Alright bbkr.
CzechDeath
kill boss

OS X Version Now Please

Post by CzechDeath »

bbkr wrote:I've started refund process on Kickstarter.

I'll post follow up once I get reply from them.

"Wait until the OpenGL version of the game runs on PS4 hardware, and it shouldnt take long until that version is ported to Mac and Linux."

Nope.

No more waiting.

OS X and Linux were supposed to be made as part of original Kickstarter campaign, so they should come first.

Ch4m3l30n
pedestrian

OS X Version Now Please

Post by Ch4m3l30n »

I also backed specifically for Linux support and am among those who are disenchanted and disenfranchised, especially after the announcement of a console port which clearly shows where they've been spending their time.

It's pretty dumb and self-defeating to promise porting a game to Mac OS X & Linux, but use DirectX in the engine. All platforms, including Windows, support OpenGL, so that should have been used from the beginning.

I have also sent a message requesting a refund or a code to redeem the digital version on PS4 when it becomes available.
Leon
pedestrian

OS X Version Now Please

Post by Leon »

bbkr wrote:I've backed up Kickstarter campaign on May 2012. OS X version was promised. On June 2012 payment was processed. It is now February 2016 and I still cannot play the game.

Moreover I just received newsletter that Carmageddon is coming to... console.

So please cut this "we are unable to put a date to this while work still continues on improving the Windows version"bullsh*t!

Focus your resources on what you were paid for and deliver OS X version!

This. All the time we are told there is no roadmap for Mac/Linux because there is a ton of work for the Windows bugs. Then, all of a sudden there magically is no problem with a roadmap for two console platforms that didn't even exist in 2012 when the Mac version was backed.

Enough with the bullshit excuses.
tonrac
speed freak

OS X Version Now Please

Post by tonrac »

You have paid for an episodic game released ... and you will have a complete game. And yeah, making a game could take years that the truth.

You want the game right now on mac and linux, give them some million in order to do that.

The kickstarter is about 5 to 10 % of the total budget of the game. The game was released too early on PC and don't sell well.

They need cash to make the linux and mac version ... those versions that concern maybe only 1% of total gamers.

The only chance you got to see a linux and mac version, is that the console version sales would be good and bring fresh money to continue the developpement.

It's not a scam, you don't buy an object, you be part of a project that like every project could fail.

Like in every project, they have to take a strategic business decision. They could finish the developpement on PC and port the game to mac and linux, and then bury the Carmageddon ip or even worse closed the studio. Or port the game to console, and have a new amount of fresh cash to secure the port for mac and linux, this port that is not really profitable.

A developpement of 4-5 years is a current practice in the video game industry, even for indie project ( wreckfest is not released yet).

They say the 02/22/16 that they don't forget mac and linux owner, there is no sign there will never be a Mac version.

I understand your frustration, but you have to be patient (like the rest of us that must wait for CMD on PC).
RussianNeuroMancer
pedestrian

OS X Version Now Please

Post by RussianNeuroMancer »

Tonrac wrote:They need cash to make the linux and mac version ... those versions that concern maybe only 1% of total gamers.
Then why they just don't refund money to minority userbase? This doesn't cost much to them, yet they ignore refund requests: http://www.carmageddon.com/comment/88693#comment-88693
macspud
pedestrian

OS X Version Now Please

Post by macspud »

Here's the bother of the whole matter: an offer was put forth by one party (the Carmageddon Folks) and in good faith another party (some kickstarter investors) invests in an product with amazing possibilities. There are promises made by party one: specifically that certain ports of this game will be made. It makes little difference what platforms others deem better (mere opinion, I should add), more desirable, better suited for the game play, easier to port the game to. The promise of successful delivery or creation of this game was made for Windows, MAC and Linux. Clearly this is a doable endeavour as the game itself is already being ported to consoles in the list of compatible ports in the game engine itself.

It's really time, to make good on promises made to initial investors years ago on the Kickstarter campaign! Period. No need for platform bashing, no need for petty, and pointless banter by the less thoughtful folk on the forums. This comes down to a business deal gone amise.

Check who’s online