Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Dear Nobby

The 2016 reincarnation of Carmageddon! Thanks, SCi!
shane
Stainless

Dear Nobby

Post by shane »

Let's bring this thread back to the reason for the original post please! If you're not sure what is/isn't allowed on the Carmageddon forums please check out the rules thread on the following link:

http://www.carmageddon.com/forum/topic/19

The way the vehicles handle in C:R causes a mixed opinion. Quite a lot of people are happy with the way the cars handle, whilst there's also people who don't get on with it. It's not your typical Arcadey, GTA style many have become accustomed to; you will need to use the brakes a lot to get around corners. Using handbrake helps a lot with this to drift around corners as well as wheelspin. Also each car has been designed to handle differently too so it does take time to learn how to control each vehicle.

Once you master the vehicles though you'll soon be shouting for Annihilator Jousting multiplayer matches! And very satisfying it is too!
Ex-Carmageddon Community Manager - Carmageddon.com
starbuck
kill boss

Dear Nobby

Post by starbuck »

"that the game is just extremely boring, unlike the oldies"

Yeah this game is sooo boring. All you can do is run over peds, race cars, and smash up opponents.

Compared to the older Carma games where you run over peds, race cars, and smash up opponents.

And "I don't have a problem controlling the car you thick headed imbecile." and yet you say "I'm here to complain about the shoddy handling" Contradict much ? Yet you go on for pages complaining about the handling ? You complain that you go skidding out and crash into walls. That sounds like you cant control the cars.

So you dont like the handling. Opinion stated. Get over it. This isnt a racing game, its more of a demolition derby. You want racing go try Forza.

"But I'm not trying to prove myself to be better or worse." And yet you brag say you are supposedly the best gamer out there multiple times but dont have the guts to actually challenge someone. Calling people imbeciles, etc.

Grow up its a video game. Thats all . You stated your opinion, we get it. No need to repeat the same old thing.
Mad_Maxine
Pink

Dear Nobby

Post by Mad_Maxine »

ah holy crap, this thred is still goin?

Heres some quick advice mr poo guy or whatever, Eaither like the game or dont, This is not C1, not C2m its a new game, its a new engine, its all a little diffrent, and oppinions are oppinions, ya like the game or you dont, Posting arguing the point here dosent make any diffrence...

I could easily go over to some place talking about Mafia III and start constantly compleaning about how the game has turned into a less realistic, more action movie based game.. But I dont, I wont like the new mafia as much as the realistic ones, but theres nothing I personally can do about that unless I get ahold of it and screw around with all the car physics and whatever... Same goes here, games gona be released soon, Get it or dont? -shurg-
Fuelinjectedsuicidemachine
hit n run

Dear Nobby

Post by Fuelinjectedsuicidemachine »

To say it bluntly Carmageddon is and never was an idiot friendly game, where you can learn the game and mechanics in 5 minutes. You have to get a hang on the vehicle handling and practice a bit to get better. It's really not that unintuitive, if you have a basic understanding of vehicle physics, it's definately doable. If you learn how to drive properly in C:R the handling is actually much better than in C1/C2 and you can make maneuvers that were impossible or at least hard to execute in the earlier installments.

And yes, you surely can do drifts at high speeds. I can do it with most cars at 120 mp/h+, just not everywhere. Use common sense here. In general, you have to be sensitive with the handling, if you want to do good stuff or trick opponents, even up to the point where you can use the AI patterns to your advantage and against them. If you don't want to lose control, when driving over peds or other objects at speed, you have to be fast and precise with the controls. Over time you'll get more confident and you just execute these procedurs naturally. Learning how to master all the different cars is part of the joy of Carmageddon. It definately pays off in the end, when you have tons of fun.

However I can see why some people might find the AI patterns a bit frustrating, but that's something that will be fixed with C:MD. Just wait for that and relax.
FatCat
mindless

Dear Nobby

Post by FatCat »

ActionPoohole
pedestrian

Dear Nobby

Post by ActionPoohole »

It's comments like this pertaining to skill and not keeping to the point that is the game feels slow and thus making it feel boring that are riling me up. I can do all these maneuvers fairly easily without needing someone to explain in detail to me. I don't need that, the discussion doesn't need that. I've got the ability to do slow motion maneuvers just fine, however thank you for providing yet again a break down on my perceived lack of skill.

I apologized for being angry at the beginning and all I get is people telling me to learn how to play or that I cannot control the car and the game is not idiot friendly ... etc etc etc...... I can play just fine. Cut the crap and keep to the point...

Now back to the point, I love games that make you actually have to break but I feel that the game doesn't indicate accurately when to break, so instead you have to be far too preemptive with your attacks against the physics. I understand entirely how some people can see this as fun, I see this as fun too.. It's something that makes the Carmageddon series very unique and without it the games just wouldn't be Carmageddon, trust me when I say this. I entirely agree that the somewhat realistic physics without ABS, ESC, Traction Control and the like are what makes Carmageddon feel less arcadey and have much more depth. It creates a sense of weight and makes you feel fully in control of the vehicle, meaning you require a much higher skill set and/or patience in order to achieve success but you can do it in a more customized manner.. This what I really love about the games, my memories are of steering big hard hunks of metal around corners, each smash into the wall felt deserved.. but now, the visual indications don't seem to line up correctly with what is actually going on. I truly think it's out of wack, as easily as this is to overcome it adds a massive feeling of encumbrance. Sure, the rest of the game is exciting in principle but the driving is what ties it all together, and it's just so clumsy, like an elephant running around the corner and tripping over its own feet in an attempt to stop.. It just doesn't look or feel right.

And that is why I really, REALLY hope that Max Damage rectifies these issues. I got so annoyed because it felt like one of my all time favorite series (YES, Carmageddon!) was ruined by new techniques and an attempt to update/fix something that was never broken or in need of repair. Surely you can understand that?
TwIsTeDMiNd
speed freak

Dear Nobby

Post by TwIsTeDMiNd »

Why the game should indicate when to break like you say? That request alone sounds to me like a lack of skills. This game is not intended to be a simulation nor it is. I don't understand either why someone who's good at gaming would end up each time in walls when taking turns in C:R as the cars are not that really hard to get used to. Lastly, you say handling is like driving on ice. You say you find the handling too hard compared to C1 physics. That doesn't make sense because even the devs themself stated they've made the cars easier to drive. Btw, the programmer behind the handling is the same who worked on the original, and the devs praised his work, even saying it's an improvement over the original games and by the look of things, majority here agree. Maybe you should fire up C1 again as your memories probably got biased by your nostalgia.
FatCat
mindless

Dear Nobby

Post by FatCat »

the fact that people here are putting so much effort arguing with unpopular opinions rather than pouring all that energy into creating new amazing things shows me that this forum has headed in the wrong direction.
tonrac
speed freak

Dear Nobby

Post by tonrac »

@Fatcat: This is because lot of people here don't have the skills to make 3D modeling... and having a debate is never going in the wrong direction.

@Twisted: Even if i am agree with your word concerning the handling, don't take "indicate" like if the op need an giant red sign "brake" on the screen. The op say that due to the lack of sense of speed , he doesn't have the feeling of the need for braking at the right moment. The op said that the lack of sense of speed make the cars unpredictable and make the gameplay slow and unfun to his taste.

Stainless has stated they add some visual effect to improve the sense of speed in CMD. Even if I don't share the op opinion, I agree with the op that it's hard to tell judging by a video and need a try on the game to confirm.
Fr0ntj3
speed freak

Dear Nobby

Post by Fr0ntj3 »

To me it seems you like the racing part of this non racing game, we all know the AI doesnt really race, so again...have you tried MP? racing against others is a lot different then the AI. Every event is a lot different when the opponents fight back using every pup there is. The game has moved to a point where you need to use the pups more then it did with C1. Maybe thats the problem.

ah well I give up, he likes the weight, but then its an elephant. He can control the cars, but needs indicators to let him know when to break. Because getting closer to a wall doesnt seem to trigger the need to brake. i FEEL like its a great game, and cant wait for C:MD to be even better.

@tonrac, well if you dont have the feeling to bake, when a wall comes closer, AT ANY SENSE OF SPEED, there is something wrong with the person. and surely by now, when the OP claims he can control the cars just fine he should have gotten used to how the cars handle and know when to brake. The cars are not unpredictable. Kill distribution is at times, not the cars. handling is very different for each car, but even vlad or cleaver are predictable in their behaviour.
tonrac
speed freak

Dear Nobby

Post by tonrac »

@Front: I don't say i am agree with the op, i try to understand his feeling.

I am agree with you that maybe he must join the steam C_UN_T group to try multiplayer ...
TwIsTeDMiNd
speed freak

Dear Nobby

Post by TwIsTeDMiNd »

If the handling would be unpredictable because of the lack of sense of speed, literally everyone playing the game would end up in walls but that's not the case. Therefore, problem comes from him. It's not like if the handling had a steep learning curve, not even at all. I almost get the hang of it after the first 5 minutes of playing the game. The handling feels very natural to me.
starbuck
kill boss

Dear Nobby

Post by starbuck »

twisted wrote:If the handling would be unpredictable because of the lack of sense of speed, literally everyone playing the game would end up in walls but that's not the case. Therefore, problem comes from him. It's not like if the handling had a steep learning curve, not even at all. I almost get the hang of it after the first 5 minutes of playing the game. The handling feels very natural to me.
ditto.

BTW This guy knows how to BRAKE and powerslide so its not about skill ? Please at least spell the proper term.OP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0NpSZKN4UQ

Again back to the original point. Thats your OPINION !

Its FACT that the cars may handle differently than C1 and C2.

But its an opinion whether you can handle it or not. Some people can , some people cant.

In my opinion the racing is the same as C1 and C2. INCUDING the "sense of speed". In C1 we had the pratcam that really helped, but the car still didnt look like they were going 100 MPH there either without it.

" I feel that the game doesn't indicate accurately when to break, " This isnt a racing game where you have one direction to go every race so why have those "Forza green to red indicators" ? Its an open world game. When you are going too fast to handle a turn then use the brake. I just woke up and played on round and powerslided around the corner easily and I have no coordination at times.
Fuelinjectedsuicidemachine
hit n run

Dear Nobby

Post by Fuelinjectedsuicidemachine »

Also the issue with the sense of speed will be fixed with C:MD or at least improved. Most people reading this forum already know about that, so it seems pointless to argue about it anymore.

If you want to do clean racing, try MP as Fr0nt suggested. That'll be a very different experience than "racing" against AI.

Check who’s online