Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Game is looking good, but where is wheel support?!

The 2016 reincarnation of Carmageddon! Thanks, SCi!
Purple44
hit n run

Post by Purple44 »

KakkaHousu wrote:
If I map brake KB key, gas pedal does KB brake key when I let off the gas.

Logitech profiler have setting which combines two axis at one, or something. I got Finnish version of profiler, it says ''yhdistä polkimet samalle akselille'' that is something like ''connect the pedals on the same axis'', not sure what it is exactly at English version. Try that, for me it did the trick at RBR.

Probably better use purely 360 pad emulator, if you map pedals to KB, you have digital pedals and that is very annoying.

I just tried enabling "report combined pedals" in Global Device Settings and that stop my gas pedal from working with JoyToKey.

"you have digital pedals and that is very annoying", not as annoying as mapping the right and left steering KB keys with JoyToKey. :P Made for very touchy steering with my wheel!! Using the Xbox 360 Controller Emulator for the steering much better.

I would use Xbox 360 Controller Emulator for the gas and brake pedals, but right now it don't work with C:R. :(
C2 Scientist
jaywalker

Post by C2 Scientist »

So right now I can steer with the wheel and use the gas pedal, but have to use a button on the wheel for the brake.

As for the brake pedal mapping (left trigger): have you tried all of the axis related options, such as choosing a different axis number, then either inverting it, or halving it, or both?

For example, it could be something like "inverted halved axis #2" = throttle and "halved axis #2" = brakes.
Purple44
hit n run

Post by Purple44 »

C2S wrote:
So right now I can steer with the wheel and use the gas pedal, but have to use a button on the wheel for the brake.

As for the brake pedal mapping (left trigger): have you tried all of the axis related options, such as choosing a different axis number, then either inverting it, or halving it, or both?

For example, it could be something like "inverted halved axis #2" = throttle and "halved axis #2" = brakes.

The emulator uses inverted 6 for left trigger. I did try the other inverted axises and it lock up the trigger. It stayed green in the emulator. Inverted 6 and 2 axis were the only 2 inverted to work. Did not I try the other versions. Will give that a go now. Ok only the invert half work right with the pedals inside the emulator.

After doing the testing above, I got the idea to remove the emulator files from C:R and test again if wheel would work. When I first fire up C:R after fixing Win 7, the wheel was interfering with the menus, so I unplug it and went with KB. Now I know the trick about hold the gas pedal just right, I can work through the menus and game still don't use my gas and brake pedal inside of race.

But I now realize the emulator was doing nothing inside of C:R. I can do all the things I was doing when I thought I was using emulator files. I can still steer in a race and some the buttons work. So maybe the xinput dll is still not name right or game is picking up my wheel and won't use the 360 settings.

Maybe part of the problem is my DFGT is also a PS3 pad. At least it has most the buttons of a PS3 pad and I did use to use wheel with the PS3 and Gran Turismo. Maybe if I had a G27 wheel, the emulator would work. But until my gas pedal play nice in the menus ( gas pedal scroll down, brake pedal scroll back up ), I don't think my pedals will work in C:R.

Nobody posted yet to say they have gotten a wheel to work with final version and how they did it yet.
starbuck
kill boss

Post by starbuck »

Purple. I deleted that 360CE program and re-downloaded it. They released a new version two weeks ago that doesnt seem to use the "directx9.dll" file anymore. Now its a pain in the ass to get it to work right. There used to be check boxes next to the dll file names. Now it cant be found. I will see if I saved the older version on a DVD somewhere.

I spent an hour yesterday trying to learn the new version of the program and cant figure it out.Just had a death in the family so I cannot think straight. I was able to get some driving in though to pass the time. But now the whole wheel thing is pissing me off. I also forgot which wheel it was that worked on both.

Just give me a couple days please. Sorry.

If it helps the idea for updating it came from this page...

https://github.com/x360ce/x360ce/issues/79

EDIT PS good news . That story of a family member passing away was a lie. I feel much better now after talking to him. Try to get back with you tonite on this.
starbuck
kill boss

Post by starbuck »

OK Purple here is what I do remember because I got a lot of stuff to do before I can test out my wheels.

It was with the MS Sidewinder Force Feedback wheel. I think I had Force Feedback turned off.

I used the older program that allowed my to link the "dxinput 9.dll file" .whatever that was called.

When I hit the brake I went into reverse.

When I hit the gas the engine went quieter and I stayed in the same position.

I do remember at least that I got the game to respond to "something" when I used those petals instead of nothing at all happening.

From that point on I forgot what I did. The joys of tracking down PC problems :) I also remember messing around changing what buttons did what function but I dont remember that exactly.

Hope this helps until later

PS if the menu screens "roll" because of the controller just use the mouse to select which menu you want.

I also read somewhere you MIGHT be able to edit the Default Config control files but I have not tried it yet. Reading the file now.
starbuck
kill boss

Post by starbuck »

OK guys GOOD NEWS.

I have played around and NOT used the Xbox360ce program to get the pedals to work.

I went and changed the Controls_Gamepad_Preset_B.TXT file easily and gotten the pedals and wheel to work.So delete that program and DLL files first.

I opened the file and changed the sections to

[ACCELERATE]

LSTICK_UP

[BRAKE]

LSTICK_DOWN

I then used the controller B settings.

Now these seem to stick in the position full position until you hit the other pedal but at least its a start. The wheel still steers without the 360ce program.

The best I can tell is you can easily gradually speed up with the gas pedal but once you let go of the gas you speed up fully . And I can stop speeding backward by just touching the gas pedal.

changing it to

[BRAKE]

RSTICK_DOWN

and nothing happened with the brake pedal.

Further checking into it once you hit the brake pedal the brake always stays on. You can THEN use the gas pedal. At 50 percent the gas will remain at neutral. Less than 50 percent you will back up and more than 50 percent you will go forward. So you could creep backwards or creep forward using just the gas pedal or even punch it and go fast both ways.

This was with my favorite wheel the NASCAR racing wheel.

All I think that needs to be done is read the correct "command" for up and down gradually in that file. Just like how the wheel will gradually turn when you use it.

EDIT Using the checkbox "Report combined pedals" killed those changes and the pedals didnt work, so make sure that setting in control panel of the joystick is off.
Purple44
hit n run

Post by Purple44 »

Thank you, thank you starbuck for showing me the right code to use for one the pedals, the gas pedal.

I did have to swap the code around to this:

[ACCELERATE]

LSTICK_DOWN

[BRAKE]

LSTICK_UP

So when I press gas pedal, I go forward. Only problem with this setup, when I let up all the way on gas pedal, car brakes, then goes into reverse. In my testing, I thing I can live with this and it does not interfere with the handbrake working.

I did try RSTICK_UP and RSTICK_DOWN for [BRAKE] to see if I could get brake pedal to work. No go. I'm thinking until C:R stop scrolling the menu down and back up with gas pedal, brake pedal not going to work. I can use the mouse on most menus, but for scrolling the keyboard menu to assign or change key, I got to use gas pedal if wheel plugged in.

I did find a use for JoyToKey. I use it to map the keyboard keys to the buttons on my wheel that game was not using in the race. Like activate powerup and horn and put the handbrake on the button I want to use. Lot easier doing it this way than trying to tweak Controls_Gamepad_Preset_B.TXT file.

Now i got wheel square away enough, I give career mode a go. Thanks again for help on the code starbuck! :)
starbuck
kill boss

Post by starbuck »

No problem. I may have mistyped it because at first the gas WAS on the wrong pedal. My brain dont always work right. Thought I typed it right :)

I got frustrated doing the other stuff and I decided to go back to square one.

I was going to try JoytoKey tomorrow, glad you tested it out. Also try my Microsoft wheel to as well as a mixture of everything but Xbox360ce kind of seems obsolete so far .

Surprised Trent didnt see it. :) Just kidding Trent.

And for JoytoKey THAT looks a little difficult now at my age.
starbuck
kill boss

Post by starbuck »

BTW those commands

LSTICK_UP

LSTICK_DOWN

Show up multiple times in that TXT file. Deleting them will stop that scrolling issue you have.
Purple44
hit n run

Post by Purple44 »

starbuck wrote:BTW those commands

LSTICK_UP

LSTICK_DOWN

Show up multiple times in that TXT file. Deleting them will stop that scrolling issue you have.

You right, getting rid of the other LSTICK_DOWN except for the one under [BRAKE] solve the problem. Menus behave now. :)
starbuck
kill boss

Post by starbuck »

Purple44 wrote:
starbuck wrote:BTW those commands

LSTICK_UP

LSTICK_DOWN

You right, getting rid of the other LSTICK_DOWN except for the one under [BRAKE] solve the problem. Menus behave now. :)

I did a sloppy job editing the file just to test out the scrolling issue.

I know Shane might be busy so just in case I PMed him to offer some input.
Servo451
driver

Post by Servo451 »

starbuck wrote:

I got frustrated doing the other stuff and I decided to go back to square one.

So yeah. Reading all of this and seeing the familiar frustration I went through over and over simply trying to make a PC game controller work with a PC game (with no positive results)... I still wonder, Whyyyyyy can't a $30 racing/driving game in 2015 just support at least a 2 axis wheel? I still don't think I asked for that much. Heh. Thanks for the food for thought, though. I guess I'll have to go back in and try it again when I get a chance. So many hours wasted already. I am seriously understanding Hdon's frustration at this point. I have supported Stainless at every single step and development for 17 years now. This in the only thing that truly sticks in my guts wrong. I feel personally slighted because I love those guys!

P.S.: @Starbuck... I am glad your tragedy wasn't as it seemed. I can only imagine the joy of speaking to a family member after hearing that they had passed! :) Happy news, Indeed!
starbuck
kill boss

Post by starbuck »

Imagine how HE felt :)

Also I meant frustration on learning the new program. Xbo360ce just seemed to be more of a PITA then a helpfull program, especially when the help file was not even correct anymore.

I have a white 360 Steering Wheel that does not work on the Xbox ONE.

Meanwhile Forza was able to use body movement to steer and the next Forza game only allowed you to turn your head. So Kinect was worthless for that game.

In this world there is no guarantee that electronics will work for everything forever.

When searching how to get my wheels working I saw a TON of games where the pedals no longer work in ACTUAL racing games. And these were 60 dollar games. So this game is no more special than them. MANY racing games these wheels will no longer work in PC racing games. WHY ? Most likely because they are coding the games to be able to port them to other consoles. And console controllers on the Microsoft line dont use DirectInput.

Trent and I both mentioned an outdated mode that Microsoft (for example) doesnt use in their code called DirectInput. Microsoft told developers they should stop using it WAY back in 2006.Of course assuming these wheels use DirectInput since I have not seen the code in the drivers.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ee417014%28v=vs.85%29.aspx

"Note Use of legacy DirectInput is not recommended, and DirectInput is not available for Windows Store apps." I bought both my wheels around 2003 , so guess what ? They are outdated. So are the half dozen flight controllers sitting in boxes.

People need to understand that things like steering wheels get outdated, just like other electronics in this world. I was actually glad that my two steering wheels worked at all in todays Carmageddon cause I can probably get another 5 years out of them. But to me the Wheels (for example) take to long to react when you have to take your foot of the gas to use the brake. Or having to jerk the wheel to one side when with a controller you can move a quarter inch a lot faster than turning a wheel 5 inches to the left to control a slide.

I am glad I bought the wheels in the past though cause I used to play almost every (actual) racing game out there. Whiplash was my favorite.
Purple44
hit n run

Post by Purple44 »

Ya would be nice if could use the gas pedal too.

Some buttons were doing things I did not want them to do on my wheel, so I trimmed the Controls_Gamepad_Preset_B.TXT file to this:

//This defines a preset game controller configuration

[ACCELERATE]

LSTICK_DOWN

[BRAKE]

LSTICK_UP

[STEER_LEFT]

LSTICK_LEFT

[STEER_RIGHT]

LSTICK_RIGHT

[HAND_BRAKE]

[RECOVER]

BUT_D

[REPAIR]

BUT_C

[POWERUP_SELECT_UP]

[POWERUP_SELECT_DOWN]

[POWERUP_ACTIVATE_SELECTED_ONE]

L1

L1 and R2 are the flippers behind your wheel. Oops make that L1 and R1 are the flippers behind your wheel.

You can use Logitech Profiler to get an idea what button number your buttons on your wheel are. Logitech Profiler did not show me what button to use for JoyToKey for my shifter, so I use Wreckfest wheel setup to see what button the DFGT shifter is. Button 13 and 14.
starbuck
kill boss

Post by starbuck »

Feel like garbage Purple all day today. Thanks for the input. Will try it later.
Servo451
driver

Post by Servo451 »

So is it still safe to say that using apps, mods, cheats, and everything short of Black Magic... one can just assume the Steering controllers are never going to function properly in this game without Stainless giving some input? They won't be clear about it. They just say "No support at the moment". I did what I was told. I was told to shut-up it was just a Beta and full functioning shouldn't be expected until the Full release. Um. Well?

I love me some Stainless, and I love this game. I just wish I could play it like a PC driving/racing game. :(
starbuck
kill boss

Post by starbuck »

My Xbox 360 controllers and other newer controllers wont work in Carmageddon 1 and Carmageddon 2. So does that mean I should complain ? No.
Purple44
hit n run

Post by Purple44 »

Stainless did indicated we would get wheel support back in the Kickstarter campaign. I would not of pledge if Stainless had said there was not going to be no wheel support.

With the steering deadzone and camera swinging around when I let off the gas pedal, does cause some frustration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maVyil7wEwI
starbuck
kill boss

Post by starbuck »

Sent you a PM Purple44.

And didnt I read somewhere they said they WANTED wheel support ? I think Trent quoted the details.

I do remember watching the Kickstarter Campaign 2012 may 16 (like people keep saying) but I dont ever remember him saying anything then about wheels at all on that date. He DID say there would be pratcams though but nothing at all about wheels.
hdon6
mechanic

Post by hdon6 »

I don't think anyone is asking for across the board support for older wheels to support every game. We understand technology becomes outdated / upgraded.

And let me please clarify when speaking about a wheel I think what we are talking about is a functional steering wheel AND pedals for acceleration and braking. Not just a steering wheel with buttons.

Is there any wheel that works? I'm ok with buying a new one, as long as its fully functional (I can live without FFB and am not opposed to using a keyboard for power ups etc) meaning it has working steering and pedals for braking and accelerating.

Servo451 mentioned a G27, I don't remember what Purple44 was using, and it sounds like starbuck was attempting Microsoft wheels. So far all of these don't seem to work. I also attempted a couple of older wheels with no success.
Purple44
hit n run

Post by Purple44 »

PM sent.

I use a DFGT wheel.
starbuck
kill boss

Post by starbuck »

QUOTE "And let me please clarify when speaking about a wheel I think what we are talking about is a functional steering wheel AND pedals for acceleration and braking. Not just a steering wheel with buttons."

If you bother to read (which of course you didnt) I GOT A steering wheel to work with PEDALS instead of buttons.So you missed almost an entire PAGE of me and PURPLE talking about the gas pedals ?

Purple will be trying a program called XPadder.

I cant guarantee any promises cause I feel sick today.

I DID mention in that one post where the wheel and the pedals actually worked, mostly. And without a secondary program. As I said in it you can get the gas pedal to react like a gas pedal and a brake.

So far with that test I was able to get the Nascar wheel to work WITH Pedals , And my MS FF Wheel works almost perfectly WITH wheels and pedals. The gas operates FULLY like a gas pedal, while the brake pedal is constantly on when you take your foot off the gas. Just with that little modification I mentioned. So it looks like the game DOES have wheel support. So far on my wheels that is 100 percent wheel and pedal support.

You got your answers right in front of you so why you still complaining ?

If you want everything perfect then you are going to have to do some work yourself and if it doesnt come out perfectly for you then I dont know what to say. But at least some of us are trying.

So have YOU done anything to get anything to work or do you keep just complaining ? Are you even going to try to HELP the situation AGAIN or do you want us to do every thing for you ?

BTW

"I don't think anyone is asking for across the board support for older wheels to support every game. We understand technology becomes outdated / upgraded.

And let me please clarify when speaking about a wheel I think what we are talking about is a functional steering wheel AND pedals for acceleration and braking. Not just a steering wheel with buttons."

Those two statements contradict each other. You understand things become outdated and yet you want a fully functional wheel and pedals.
Servo451
driver

Post by Servo451 »

starbuck wrote:
BTW

"I don't think anyone is asking for across the board support for older wheels to support every game. We understand technology becomes outdated / upgraded.

And let me please clarify when speaking about a wheel I think what we are talking about is a functional steering wheel AND pedals for acceleration and braking. Not just a steering wheel with buttons."

Those two statements contradict each other. You understand things become outdated and yet you want a fully functional wheel and pedals.

OK, Starbuck. Now YOU are kinda being the asshole, now. You know what he meant. Why are you so passionate and tenacious about ensuring that Stainless denies wheel support that they teased us with on Day 1. This is a Niche fanbase, I understand. If you don't care then why don't YOU drop it. To date you are the only soul on earth who claims any success getting a steering controller to work 'properly' with this game. NO ONE has reported the ability to duplicate your results. NO ONE. Steering wheels are NOT outdated technology. A 1994 Thrustmaster T2 for the IBM parallel port is ...and nobody is demanding compatibility with that. But there are new game controllers dropping on the market everyday. I am THRILLED that you enjoy playing this game with toy console controllers and word processing devices. I would NEVER want to infringe on your (or anyone's) enjoyment, regardless of how stupid I think it is to play that way. The more happy Carma fans, the merrier! But it is really NOT my responsibility to complete this tragically incomplete game that I paid money for with the understanding it would one day be finished. I have no problems dealing with the poor performance and bugs. The gameplay and graphics for me are awesome and a complete joy. It is just REEALLLY irritating to play with a keyboard. Clicking keys to throttle engine rpms and tapping my thumb to gradually apply brakes is a ridiculously illogical control system for a bloody huge Monster truck with an auger on the front of it, Heh. These things require subtlety. ;)

In the early days I recall Nobby announcing there would be no "wheelspin" feature A dozen or so people piped up and told SG how important that seemingly little feature was. Stainless listened! They obliged, and now it's back! That is how this works, innit? Why didn't you attack those fans and tell them to code their own wheelspin and stop whining?

My biggest frustration at this point is no one will give a simple yes or no. THIS really is a make or break feature for me and I know there or MANY others out there like myself. I have tried being polite but this is getting a bit silly now. Forgive my rudeness but please shut up and let Stainless make a statement. It's basically as simple as, "You bet, Guys! Wheel support is on the way!" - or - "Sorry folks, Steering Controllers enthusiasts aren't worth our time". I will sincerely accept EITHER answer. The difference is; with wheel support: I will continue to be a 17 year champion of this fantastic franchise that I passionately love and I will continue to support this company that has LITERALLY changed my life and brought me immeasurable entertainment. BUT, without wheel support: I will join the growing mob of sad and disappointed people bitching about being let down by an incomplete game that I supported with my cash.

What is it going to be? (I'm not talking to you, Starbuck. We have all heard how your wheel is already uniquely working like a dream. This question is for someone, hell ANYONE at Stainless Games Inc. to address.)
deadsheep
hit n run

Post by deadsheep »

So, to add something half decent to this topic, after a couple of tries and messing around, my steering wheel 'almost' works.

Steering wheel works, accelerate pedal works, brake pedal does not. (Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback Wheel, USB).

The game has direct input support, it just doesn't let you really change things around it. All you can (as far as I know) is create a custom controller mapping.

X axis on my steering wheel is the steering (left & right). The game assumes that X axis is the part of the left stick of a typical X360 controller.

Y axis on my steering wheel is the accelerate pedal. Now this is where it goes weird: by default, it's all the way down. This, in a controller, means you're pushing it down, instead of having it centered (untouched). So, unless you stepped more than 50% on the pedal, the car wouldn't go forward. To go around this, I used the windows joystick calibration wizard, and made it ignore half of the pedal. So, having the pedal untouched is now 'centered' in my computer. I think this, however, means I only have half of the precision of that pedal, since half of the values are being ignored due to my calibration. Not a real issue in Carmageddon, as it is still precise enough (not sure if I'd notice any real difference). (games that properly support my steering wheel will think the accelerate pedal is always 50% when untouched, though)

RZ axis on my steering wheel is the brake pedal. Damn, the game doesn't seem to assign this direct input axis to anything. Unless its the RSTICK, but I forgot to try that as i'm sleepy, and don't have enough time to try that. Will try tomorrow.

As a temporary 'workaround', I assigned this to a button instead. (I think all buttons seem to work but i'm NOT entirely sure, my steering wheel has 6 buttons and 2 flappy paddles, so that makes 8 buttons)

Edit: with these two topics talking about the same, things get confusing. Perhaps merge them?
starbuck
kill boss

Post by starbuck »

Edited out by me.
Servo451
driver

Post by Servo451 »

Goodness. I think he's going to cry.
starbuck
kill boss

Post by starbuck »

Servo451 wrote:Goodness. I think he's going to cry.
Dont think so jerk off. Why would I cry when my wheel works in the game.

You are the one crying over a video game. Do you see me shedding a tear ?

Your the one that pissed off cause Stainless wont kiss your ass for you.

forgive me for trying to help stupid assholes like you. Enjoy your Game playing on a keyboard.

BTW No proof yet that they promised you Steering Wheel support especially in your case on day one ? No of course not you are the type that blames others on your assumptions. Even stupider than a crybaby.
Servo451
driver

Post by Servo451 »

No doubt about it. He is definitely sitting there crying right now.
starbuck
kill boss

Post by starbuck »

Servo451 wrote:No doubt about it. He is definitely sitting there crying right now.
Look I know you find it hard to face reality and try to point the finger my way but again. Do you have any proof they said there would be Wheel Support on day One.

You calling my a crybaby is your opinion, which especially now means shit.

Fact is right in front of our faces. You are crying because you can get a wheel to work in the game. Everyone can see that fact that you are crying over a game that cost you a whole 20 dollars.

You got any actual facts? Time to put your money where your mouth is. At least the third time I asked. And you have shown nothing. Well actually you have shown something, the mentality of a fourth grader thinking actual words on a screen can hurt someone who acts like an adult.
Purple44
hit n run

Post by Purple44 »

starbuck, I do appreciate you helping me get my DFGT wheel to work "OK" in C:R. Did I miss the post where you got the brake pedal to work Carmageddon: Reincarnation?

After what happen with PC version of Blur not supporting a wheel and having to use a emulator to map things to my wheel but closing a delay in steering, I swore to myself I would not buy another PC racing game that did not have wheel support.

Some here know that I'm a big Flatout\Bugbear fan and was excited to hear Bugbear was back from the dead and doing a new racing game, Ridge Racer Unbounded and it even had a built in track editor. :) I was ready to buy the game until I learn game control support was only the 360 pad. So pass on buying RRU even thou Bugbear made game!! And I complain to Bugbear for not having wheel support.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2624578

Purple44;31648952 wrote:Broke the sell for me!! Was looking forward to using the track editor. :(

Been using a wheel for all my racing games since I bought my first MOMO for Flatout 1 ( 2005 ). No pad for the PCs here.

I"m disappointed that Bugbear would release a console port ( no wheel support, no remapping of buttons, no text chat online ) for the PC. Bugbear should know better.

I hope Bugbear has learn their lesson and will not repeat this mistake again.

I made plenty sure there was going to be wheel support in Wreckfest ( and text chat online )!!!

If Stainless had come out and said there would be no wheel support in Carmageddon: Reincarnation, I would of taken a pass on C:R. A racing game on the PC should have wheel support. Be it a sim, simcade ( like GRID 1 and Wreckfest ) or an arcade racer like Flatout or Distance.

Has there been an official post by Stainless now that we have final version of C:R, saying where Stainless stand on wheel support? Has Stainless rule it out completely, no wheel support or is it still a maybe?

starbuck got me researching Xpadder today ( did not get to tryout program yet ), but did come across this video:

GTA IV PC ALL WHEEL TUTORIAL! PART 2 >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I05obfC7_GE

The guy uses x360ce and Xpadder to get a wheel to work better in GTA IV. He did say something that got me curious. For x360ce to work with in GTA IV, you need to disable directinput in the options.

Is this why x360ce does not seem to work with Carmageddon: Reincarnation? I look at Carmageddon: Reincarnation files and did not see any code for directinput. If Stainless were to add the option to disable directinput to C:R, would the brake pedal start work?

After giving x360ce another shot to see if it would work, nope, I got an idea how to make C:R steering less sensitive, what if I increase steering degree of rotation? I use 240 degrees, like what my old MOMO wheel use to uses. I tried 360 and that was to slow to respond. I ended up settling on 330 degrees of rotation. I still have to deal with the deadzone, but I do less over steering now.

I also took a look at reverse camera option and change rotating to still. Now when I let off gas pedal, my chase cam still looking forward. :)

Now off to try Xpadder. Xpadder maps key commands to controller, so I'm afraid steering going be to sensitive. But if I can get brake pedal to work, then I may be able to make use of program.
starbuck
kill boss

Post by starbuck »

"starbuck, I do appreciate you helping me get my DFGT wheel to work "OK" in C:R. Did I miss the post where you got the brake pedal to work Carmageddon: Reincarnation?"

Only just in the "Stay On" position.

On the MS Wheel the gas pedal works 100 percent and the brake does not respond and not touching the gas pedal will make the brake pedal work at 100 percent.

As for Xpadder it does not seem to work at all on the wheels in CR at all. Good thing is it gave me the option of using both wheels perfectly in C1. So that is a plus.

As for the rest I will keep trying including deadsheeps idea which I never thought of at all.

Got Ridge Racer Unbounded on the 360 . Great editor and game for a controller setup. Have not tried the white "outdated" wheel in that game yet.

I THINK the controller setting in CR are locked in and actually disasle any other programs input like the emulators. They do have a custom controllers file in there maybe for future use. That video might offer solutions.

Will watch the video later and work on it. No way to disable DirectInput in any way I know of yet in Steam or CR. Deleting the control files crashes it.

PS if you PM me it comes to my email so I will know right away.
starbuck
kill boss

Post by starbuck »

Purple44.

Up to date here is what I found.

External Programs do not seem to work (at least for me) and neither does for example the profiler (again not for me) that comes with wheels and stuff dont seem to work. I use those programs and edit the settings and nothing changes

While putting this into the controller file by itself

[ACCELERATE]

LSTICK_UP

[STEER_LEFT]

LSTICK_LEFT

[STEER_RIGHT]

LSTICK_RIGHT

Makes the wheel and the gas pedal work perfectly. It keeps the brake from being used at all.

If I remember from my original days of Carmageddon and such the Brake pedal is actually a THIRD axis and not part of the gas's axis. Of course the 360 controllers axis is the same stick so therein lies the problem ? Well at least if you tried to use the stick for steering/ driving.

In case you dint know it Purple the Steering is the X axis, the brake is the Y axis, and according to the settings in my controller drivers the brake is actually the

RZ axis. So we might need to firgure out what that is called in the games input.TXT file.
SCare
pedestrian

Post by SCare »

Excellent! That is all I needed. There was a lot of talk about it being out of scope and I hadn't seen that officially stated anywhere. So, thank you! I don't understand the smartass comment about games not being made overnight though. I never suggested that they were? But thank you for the citation about it being discussed! The information *IS* appreciated. Have a nice day.
Purple44
hit n run

Post by Purple44 »

There an input.TXT file in C:R? I did not see this file.

Last night was a bust with Xpadder. Xpadder see my gas and brake pedals as triggers, but C:R still will not use the gas and brake pedals when I use config A that has the triggers as gas and brake.

I can live with the gas and brake pedals set to LSTICK_DOWN and LSTICK_UP now that I got reverse cam set to Still.

It the steering where I wish it was better because of the deadzone. I took another look at JoyToKey. If I map the keyboard keys to steering wheel. I get rid of deadzone, but then steering become to sensitive, a lot of over steering. JoyToKey has Auto Repeat option, how many times key is push a second. I was getting close to a number I could live with, but there times my wheel would quit steering the car and car just keep going straight. GRRRR So JoyToKey a no go for steering.

I'm done trying figure out something better. Game playable so I will work through career until maybe Stainless give us proper wheel support. As it stand right now, I can not recommend buying Carmageddon: Reincarnation if want to use a wheel. :(

Ok, here a summary of what I'm doing to use a wheel in Carmageddon: Reincarnation. ( I big thank you goes out to starbuck for his help :) )

1. Need to edit one the controller config file. I change the Controls_Gamepad_Preset_B.TXT file to this:

//This defines a preset game controller configuration

[ACCELERATE]

LSTICK_DOWN

[BRAKE]

LSTICK_UP

[STEER_LEFT]

LSTICK_LEFT

[STEER_RIGHT]

LSTICK_RIGHT

[HAND_BRAKE]

[RECOVER]

BUT_D

[REPAIR]

BUT_C

[POWERUP_SELECT_UP]

[POWERUP_SELECT_DOWN]

[POWERUP_ACTIVATE_SELECTED_ONE]

L1

L1 and R1 are the flippers behind your wheel.

2. In preset above only 3 my buttons have been assign. I use JoyToKey to map the keyboard keys I want to use to the buttons on my wheel.

You can use Logitech Profiler to get an idea what button number your buttons on your wheel are. Logitech Profiler did not show me what button to use for JoyToKey for my shifter, so I use Wreckfest wheel setup to see what button the DFGT shifter is. Button 13 and 14.

3. The steering is to sensitive for me with my DFGT wheel with a 240 degree of rotation ( what my old MOMO wheel used ). So I bump it up to 330. Feel free to play with degree rotation until you are happy with it. Go to Global Device settings.

4. If have reverse camera set to rotate, when you let off gas pedal and brake kick in, cam going to rotate. I did not like this when I still want to see what was going on ahead of me. So I change this setting to Still.

This make Carmageddon: Reincarnation playable with my DFGT wheel, but I still have to deal with the deadzone. Also keep in mind, if car get some damage or blood or oil on the wheels, car become hard to handle. Repairing car help me get my steering control back.

Now back to working my way through career mode. I unlock level 5, 11 more levels to go. C:R got me talking to my monitor, "GET OFF ME, damn AI. I'm trying get that checkpoint ped just over there!!!!" :P
starbuck
kill boss

Post by starbuck »

I meant the control config file we have been editing. My fault because I couldnt think straight and call it the right name.

Also had no use I could see with Xpadder for CR but it did get me to use the old C1 with a controller.

What I am beginning to think is either

A) We need to find the name f the brake pedal axis

OR

B) the brake pedal axis is "dead" to the game and unusable.

To bad nobody answered that PM I sent out. Even though I know they are busy, I dont feel like Stainless is being devious. I expect they are way too busy doing other things, and I honestly doubt wheel support will be one of them. At least not until another month or three if they decide to get around to it.

Most people dont see that we have been bugging them in the forum for wheel support for years. Making another thread on its not going to get their attention.

They are the ones that are going to decide if they are going to do it. Making thousands of posts on its not going to make them move if they dont want to and its not going to make them run any faster.

Going to take a brake on wheels for a week or two, see if I can get a clear head.

But before I give up for now One thing I DID try is opening up the executable file in Wordpad and so far I can see things in English throughout the file such as "LSTICK_PRESSED" which might mean all the controls programmed into the game are actually stored in there. Take a look and its pretty surprising.

But no extra code in there that goes beyond the Right and Left Stick ,Controller buttons, mouse and the keyboard. Which most likely means there is no extra code stored in there right now to support anything more.

I even see snippets of code relating to the X360 and the XB1 and other things interesting.

Check who’s online