Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Game is looking good, but where is wheel support?!

The 2016 reincarnation of Carmageddon! Thanks, SCi!
Purple44
hit n run

Post by Purple44 »

Xpadder say brake pedal is Axis RZ. Since pads don't use this axis, is this why C:R not picking up brake pedal and the gas pedal Axis Y is picked up?
starbuck
kill boss

Post by starbuck »

Purple44 wrote:Xpadder say brake pedal is Axis RZ. Since pads don't use this axis, is this why C:R not picking up brake pedal and the gas pedal Axis Y is picked up?
Most likely yes. I was sleepy last night and probably didnt make much sense.

But pretty much I am done looking for now.

Either I find it in my spare time or hold my breat til they update it. But as I mentioned I think THIS game is better for me with a controller anyway.
Epitaph
motorised death

Post by Epitaph »

Hey dudes, just to say something to all those who were pissed off with Starbuck's post.

This dude cared about the issue, unlike others just me who won't come here and make a research (cause i don't give 2 fucks about wheel support). So you should understand his frustration and not make even more smartass comments to magnify your e-penis. Starbuck is contributing something to the community. You are also making an attempt for a contribution to the community (in case they fully implement Wheel Support), but those stupid comments about "omg he's gonna cry" and all that shit is unnecessary.

Cheers
Epitaph
motorised death

Post by Epitaph »

Servo451 wrote:I still wonder, Whyyyyyy can't a $30 racing/driving game in 2015 just support at least a 2 axis wheel? I still don't think I asked for that much.
1) Cause they made their own Engine essentialy from scratch.

2) Cause Carmageddon is not just a driving game. You can't compare C:R to Project Cars. I think it's obvious why you shouldn't that in terms of gameplay.

But let's compare Carmageddon to a game like Wreckfest which is closer.

Wreckfest doesn't have pedestrians and their AI.

Wreckfest doesn't have powerups.

Won't compare the maps, which WF has more in quantity but much less in quantity.

So you understand that if a company has certain resources to allocate in different gameplay mechanics, they have to leave somethings out. It simply wouldn't be a Carmageddon game if you had no Pedestrians or Powerups.

There's more than a 100 powerups in C:R. All these have to be invented (or reworked), tested, fixed, and balanced.

3) I Don't own the game but i just searched for how many cars does Wreckfest have and saw from this

https://www.g2a.com/next-car-game-early-acces-steam-cd-key-global.html

that they 3 cars and four race tracks?

On this wikipedia page i see that there are 7 cars planned. 5 already in the game and 2 more to come.

Anyway so make this comparison.

Wreckfest has better graphics, Support for Wheels, and pedals, less cars, less tracks, less gibs, AI, physics calculations and shit on screen in general (therefore more FPS) and costs 28 Euro.

Carmageddon : Reincarnation, has more 18 more cars, 4 more maps, powerups, dozens of different peds, cops, crazy gameplay and shit happening all around, worse graphics than Wreckfest and no support for Wheels and costs 25 Euro.

Do you understand why now?
Trent
mindless

Post by Trent »

As it's relevant to this discussion, I just mined a complete list of acceptable input names from the game's EXE. It's a rather large list and left in the random order which they are listed in the EXE, but you may find something useful for wheels. Maybe experiment with the Sensor, Motion and Tilt inputs to see if the Wheel's RZ axis is being picked up as one of those?

Spoiler:

LSTICK_PRESSED
RSTICK_X
RSTICK_LEFT
RSTICK_RIGHT
RSTICK_Y
RSTICK_UP
RSTICK_DOWN
RSTICK_PRESSED
LSTICK_X
LSTICK_LEFT
LSTICK_RIGHT
LSTICK_Y
LSTICK_UP
LSTICK_DOWN
L2
R2
BUT_A
BUT_B
BUT_C
BUT_D
START
SELECT
DPAD_X
DPAD_LEFT
DPAD_RIGHT
DPAD_Y
DPAD_UP
DPAD_DOWN
L1
R1
SENSOR_Z
SENSOR_G
TILT_X
TILT_Y
TILT_Z
MOTION_X
MOTION_Y
MOTION_Z
ANY
CUSTOM_1
CUSTOM_2
CUSTOM_3
CUSTOM_4
CUSTOM_5
SENSOR_X
SENSOR_Y
PC_LSTICK_RIGHT
PC_LSTICK_Y
PC_LSTICK_UP
PC_LSTICK_DOWN
PC_RSTICK_X
PC_RSTICK_LEFT
PC_RSTICK_RIGHT
PC_RSTICK_Y
PC_DPAD_LEFT
PC_DPAD_RIGHT
PC_DPAD_X
PC_DPAD_UP
PC_DPAD_DOWN
PC_DPAD_Y
PC_LSTICK_X
PC_LSTICK_LEFT
PC_JOYSTICK_Y
PC_JOYSTICK_UP
PC_JOYSTICK_DOWN
PC_JOYSTICK_1
PC_ESC
PC_1
PC_2
PC_3
PC_RSTICK_UP
PC_RSTICK_DOWN
PC_JOYSTICK_2
PC_JOYSTICK_3
PC_JOYSTICK_4
PC_JOYSTICK_X
PC_JOYSTICK_LEFT
PC_JOYSTICK_RIGHT
PC_EQUALS
PC_BACKSPACE
PC_TAB
PC_Q
PC_W
PC_E
PC_R
PC_T
PC_4
PC_5
PC_6
PC_7
PC_8
PC_9
PC_0
PC_MINUS
PC_LCONTROL
PC_A
PC_S
PC_D
PC_ANY
PC_F
PC_G
PC_H
PC_Y
PC_U
PC_I
PC_O
PC_P
PC_LBRACKET
PC_RBRACKET
PC_RETURN
PC_Z
PC_X
PC_C
PC_V
PC_B
PC_N
PC_M
PC_COMMA
PC_J
PC_K
PC_L
PC_SEMICOLON
PC_APOSTROPHE
PC_GRAVE
PC_LSHIFT
PC_BACKSLASH
PC_SPACE
PC_CAPS_LOCK
PC_F1
PC_F2
PC_F3
PC_F4
PC_F5
PC_F6
PC_PERIOD
PC_SLASH
PC_RSHIFT
PC_NUMPAD_MULTIPLY
PC_LALT
PC_RALT
PC_LCTRL
PC_RCTRL
PC_NUMPAD_8
PC_NUMPAD_9
PC_NUMPAD_MINUS
PC_NUMPAD_4
PC_NUMPAD_5
PC_NUMPAD_6
PC_NUMPAD_ADD
PC_NUMPAD_1
PC_F7
PC_F8
PC_F9
PC_F10
PC_NUMPAD_NUM_LOCK
PC_NUM_LOCK
PC_SCROLL_LOCK
PC_NUMPAD_7
PC_F15
PC_NUMPAD_EQUALS
PC_NUMPAD_ENTER
PC_RCONTROL
PC_NUMPAD_COMMA
PC_NUMPAD_DIVIDE
PC_SYSRQ
PC_HOME
PC_NUMPAD_2
PC_NUMPAD_3
PC_NUMPAD_0
PC_NUMPAD_PERIOD
PC_F11.
PC_F12.
PC_F13.
PC_F14
PC_DELETE
PC_LWIN
PC_RWIN
PC_APPS
PC_PAUSEBREAK
PC_OEM_102
PC_KANA
PC_ABNT_C1
PC_UP
PC_PAGE_UP
PC_LEFT
PC_RIGHT
PC_END
PC_DOWN
PC_PAGE_DOWN
PC_INSERT
PC_MOUSE_WHEEL_UP
PC_MOUSE_WHEEL_DOWN
PC_MOUSE_ANY
PC_MOUSE_X
PC_MOUSE_Y
PC_INV_MOUSE_X
PC_INV_MOUSE_Y
PC_MOUSE_WHEEL
PC_CONVERT
PC_NOCONVERT
PC_PREVTRACK
PC_KANJI
PC_MOUSE_LEFT
PC_MOUSE_LEFT_DOUBLE_CLICK
PC_MOUSE_RIGHT
PC_MOUSE_MIDDLE
CW_BUTT1
PC_MOUSE_WHEEL_UP
PC_MOUSE_WHEEL_DOWN
CW_BUTT3

a.k.a. Brent
Servo451
driver

Post by Servo451 »

Epitaph wrote:Hey dudes, just to say something to all those who were pissed off with Starbuck's post.

This dude cared about the issue, unlike others just me who won't come here and make a research (cause i don't give 2 fucks about wheel support). So you should understand his frustration and not make even more smartass comments to magnify your e-penis. Starbuck is contributing something to the community. You are also making an attempt for a contribution to the community (in case they fully implement Wheel Support), but those stupid comments about "omg he's gonna cry" and all that shit is unnecessary.

Cheers

Listen. I'm gonna be honest real quick here. I should not have said what I did about the crying. My mother did not raise me to treat people like that... But really? *I* am the one that needs to cool it? Did you read Starbuck's responses? My earlier post was in the spirit of constructive debate. I don't know how or why Starbuck became so violently unhinged. I think he took it wrong. (WAY wrong) My poorly made point was supposed to be, in a nutshell: "Even with all of these workarounds we have been trying, wheel controllers STILL don't work. Please help me build support to get Stainless to fix this. It is important to me." I know (NOW) that I came off too strong, but when I am polite, inevitably somebody comes along and tells me to stop whining and they glibly dismiss me. I have a response for your other post about them not having the resources, but you'll have to forgive me as I am limited on time and I'll address it when I find time. But I am truly embarrassed for my taunts, and I apologize to Starbuck for that... But make NO apologies for the post where I am trying to make a point. As Hamfisted as it was.

But in defense of the "Leave Starbuck alone with unnecessary stupid comments". That night in real time he was constantly editing his post calling me out for a battle, of which I think we happen to both be on the same side. Every time I refreshed the forum he had a new string of expletives for me. So after being jabbed I retorted. Immaturely and with extreme prejudice. But my brief responses were to *THIS* stuff (listed chronologically from SB's post):

"You just lied!"

"A lying asshole"

"Get off your lazy ass"

"Lazy people like you won't even try"

"Shut the fuck up"

"(you said) Bullshit"

"(you said) Bullshit!"

"(you said) and That's Bullshit!"

"you Lousy little Bastard"

"Assholes like you"

"Fuck you"

"You fucking prick"

"You jerk off"

"you are the one crying"

"stupid assholes like you"

"you are stupider than a crybaby"

"your opinion means absolute shit"

"you are crying over $20"

and my TOTAL favorite:

"You have the mentality of a 4th grader!"

Heh.

I fancy myself as something of a smartass, but I will try my best to refrain from unnecessary viciousness in the future. But if everyone wants me to stop whining about wheel support I will when Stainless says, "it ain't gonna happen." Until then, that is my ONE SINGLE goal. I have no other real issues with the game as it stands. It is perfect as I could ask for. I have played ALL of the Carmageddon iterations with Steering wheels for years. I need to play this one with a wheel, too! (Whoops! I drifted on topic.) Well I gotta go, but first I have something I need to do:

Starbuck. I am genuinely sorry for the immature taunts. I have always appreciated your input and assistance with this topic since the game was in Beta. I have followed your (AND Purple44's AAAAND Trent's!) suggestions. (the ones I can understand, heh) ...But I can't help but tell you through all of your hard work and research, there is still no acceptable solution. The easiest path for me now is to continue to hope Nobby and the Stainless kids eventually provide wheel support. PLEASE! DO NOT take this personally and as a disrespect to your efforts.

To Epitaph and everybody that was bored enough to read through all that rambling, Have a great day!
Purple44
hit n run

Post by Purple44 »

@Epitaph, don't thing comparing Wreckfest ( still in pre-alpha ) to a finish game like Carmageddon: Reincarnation that is finish, is a fair comparison yet.

And Stainless 50 Devs to Bugbear 24 devs. Bugbear has spent the last year overhauling and retweaking their ROMU game engine to have a strong foundation to go forward developing Wreckfest more. Bugbear is shooting for 20 cars come release day. I'm thinking sometime in 2016.

Bugbear just announce they are getting ready to release Build #7 after working on it for 8 months. It been a long wait, but we will be getting a better Wreckfest. Already got 24 players online thanks to overhaul game engine!! :)

Wreckfest gets more punch under the hood, update coming soon!

With 50 Stainless Devs, would think someone could of spent a little time working on basic wheel support. I will tough it out doing career mode with the wheel setup I got now. Would be nice to have official wheel support after I have unlock all the maps and can take some time exploring the maps with a good car.

Wreckfest Advance wheel setup screen:

And Next Car Game\Wreckfest basic wheel settings when first Build got release:

This basic setup would be enough for me in C:R.
starbuck
kill boss

Post by starbuck »

Thanks Trent for that list. I thought about doing it but as I said I only THOUGHT about doing it. :)

It would have taken me days to do it.

I also could not do copy/paste either from Word when that file was open, even saving it as another format.
starbuck
kill boss

Post by starbuck »

Servo your response to me was unfounded saying I was acting like an asshole.

There was no need for that post saying I am sounding like an asshole. But since you wanted one you got one. I can make all my posts sound like that or I can jost post "Boo Hoo you fucking crybaby" posts That was a perfect post to describe what an asshole is even when you ignore stuff like what the OP says, and ignore the fact that someone already said this was posted in another thread.

Dont see you calling Skynet an asshole. ChechDeath, Alex, and so on.

You are ignoring the responses of fucking children here like "I wanted to use an Xbox controller, I'd buy a goddamned Xbox. " AND "If you queers want to use your controllers, "

so you think that a video game deserves that kind of childish attitude. He acts like that and yet I am being the asshole. Take off your blinders dude.

Your "Hes crying" statement were fucking stupid. I am not crying because my 15 year old controller doesnt work 100 percent in the game.

As for your repeated state that NO ONE can get result like I can is a pure lie. You have no CLUE what results other people get unless you actually play on their PC . As well as Purple has gotten results as well because he is working on it too. LIke for example the point I made TWICE that Windows 7 does not support a lot of steering wheel. Thats not Stainless fault that it Windows 7s fault. If he cant get his wheel to work at all in Windows 7 then of course he wont get it to work in the game. On reason I hate Windows 7 AND Vista.

Now this is BEFORE I respond to your apology portion of your post.

Apology accepted after you read the above portion. Really though it wasnt needed , at that one time you might have had a bad day.

But I have to continuously edit my posts due to a stroke. Without them I would flood the forum full of one line posts. And no doing it in Word first does not work. With my though processes I forget what I am posting in the middle of a sentence. I have good days and bad days. If I was my old self I would have had all this done AND that list Trent made in an hour. Hence why Purple for example misunderstands my posts.

PS Most Wheels are actually THREE Axis's. Which I should have remembered the first day. The brake is usually for example the ZR axis .
hdon6
mechanic

Post by hdon6 »

Eptiaph, how about comparing apples to apples, like Carmageddon: Reincarnation to Carmageddon (1, 2, or [God Forbid] 3)? Then perhaps you might grasp a sense of OUR frustration. The predecessors ALL had wheel support. Its something some of us have come to expect as its as much a part of the game to us as the Eagle.

Having muddled through my own attempts to make background programs work (with what is likely incompatible hardware) and failing, posting on the boards to try and bring attention to the cause, perhaps gaining some assistance seemed logical. This however drew fire from those (for whatever purpose) interjecting their philosophy that wheels aren't necessary and we should stop posting about it. Well, obviously is necessary to some of us or we wouldn't here.
starbuck
kill boss

Post by starbuck »

There has been request for Wheel Support since here....

http://www.carmageddon.com/forum/topic/572

Its taken them 4 years and guess what ? No Wheel Support. I would really be surprised if they got Wheel Support into the game this late in development , especially when they seem to be struggling according to reviews.

No offense to Nobby but you noticed he recently posted on another page and yet "ignores" this one ?

HDON You did say you are running Windows 7 right ? Cause its very likely that if the game gets wheel Support it MAY not work. Half of my controllers didnt work. You might have to get the wheel working 100 percent in Windows before you try getting it to work in the game.

But then again Microsoft has been wrong many times. Trust me, used to work Tech Support for other places. They are clueless because for one thing they cant deviate from their plan and think with their brains.

And yes some of us feel that Wheels are not necessary, that is called an opinion. If your opinion works for you then follow what your opinion is. Dont let someone elses thought stop you from your goal. We have 7 million people in the world and some are going to differ. If you love chocolate covered pizza the go for it.
Servo451
driver

Post by Servo451 »

hdon6 wrote:Eptiaph, how about comparing apples to apples, like Carmageddon: Reincarnation to Carmageddon (1, 2, or [God Forbid] 3)? Then perhaps you might grasp a sense of OUR frustration. The predecessors ALL had wheel support. Its something some of us have come to expect as its as much a part of the game to us as the Eagle.
I pretty much agree with HDon here. Steering wheels are as Carmageddon-commonplace to me as cows. I never imagined they would be overlooked and marginalized.

P.S: I own 10 different wheel controllers ranging form a Thrustmaster T2 up to and including a Logitech G27. None of the pedals work properly, even with all the "fiddling" and background XInput programs/emulators and whatnot. Granted, the altering configuration file confounds me so. Stainless has not accounted for analog properties or null-zone, axes in the general software. If they just made an XBox controller setup (option D?) that included an accelerator/brake assigned to the Y (up/down) or RZ (3rd independent axis) with the 'ever important' dead/null zone ...most, if not ALL of our problems would probably be completely over. Think of it as AWSD assigned to the analogue stick on the controller. UP=Accelerate, DOWN=Brake, LEFT/RIGHT= Steer L/R. My pedal axis issues would be accounted for and I could use an emulator to assign keys to the buttons. Maybe? Could it be that simple? Starbuck, HDon? Purple? Trent? ....Nobby? Anybody? Hello? Hello? Is this thing on? Testy testy one.. two... three...
Servo451
driver

Post by Servo451 »

starbuck wrote:There has been request for Wheel Support since here....

http://www.carmageddon.com/forum/topic/572

Its taken them 4 years and guess what ? No Wheel Support. I would really be surprised if they got Wheel Support into the game this late in development , especially when they seem to be struggling according to reviews.

No offense to Nobby but you noticed he recently posted on another page and yet "ignores" this one ?

HDON You did say you are running Windows 7 right ? Cause its very likely that if the game gets wheel Support it MAY not work. Half of my controllers didnt work. You might have to get the wheel working 100 percent in Windows before you try getting it to work in the game.

But then again Microsoft has been wrong many times. Trust me, used to work Tech Support for other places. They are clueless because for one thing they cant deviate from their plan and think with their brains.

And yes some of us feel that Wheels are not necessary, that is called an opinion. If your opinion works for you then follow what your opinion is. Dont let someone elses thought stop you from your goal. We have 7 million people in the world and some are going to differ. If you love chocolate covered pizza the go for it.

Heh, Well, I am not going to eat any damn chocolate pizza (you can have my slice, it makes my beer taste flat anyway....) but the wheels that are listed as "incompatible" almost always work ok in a generic application. MS are jerks for not supporting them but they end up working fine in Win7/8 games. I think this is probably because of the game developers, but I won't even pretend to comprehend the tech side of things. I just know that I plug a crusty/trusty ol' wheel in and I can play Flatout or Need for Speed all day long in Window7.
Servo451
driver

Post by Servo451 »

starbuck wrote:Servo your response to me was unfounded saying I was acting like an asshole.

To clarify what I was referring to was EXACTLY this. Hdon was trying to point out that the pedals STILL don't work, Despite all attempts to use modding config files and using external apps. You got irate and acted like he was ignoring your posts when in fact he was following them to a "T". ...except it didn't work. He wasn't ignoring your advice and NOT reading posts, he was saying it wasn't working. You claimed success with a fully functioning Wheel controller, yet we are all here STILL trying to figger this conundrum out. It's not over. The mystery is not solved. Scooby Doo has NOT pulled the mask off of ol' man McAllister at the haunted Amusement park! Heh. We don't have a working Wheel/Pedal solution yet. We aren't ignoring you, we are asking if you have any other ideas? Thank you foe taking point on this, because most of us have already tapped out. Personally, I think it's up to Stainless now. It's in their court. If they don't want to anything other than an X-Box controller for their game, I guess there isn't a damn thing I can do about it anymore. I'm dumb and I am all outta ideas. I'll just keep on playing my GOG version of DOS Carmageddon and Splat Pack (Which are still divinely entertaining WITH my 2 & 3 axis steering wheels in Win7!) But anywho... That why I thought you were acting "LIKE" an asshole. Think of it as a term of endearment. Watch Sam's multiplayer Twitch streams. He's an asshole. We're ALL assholes... and that's ok. :) Except for HDON. ...He's not an asshole, he's a queer. ;) Kidding! Don't flame!
Servo451
driver

Post by Servo451 »

Purple44 wrote:

This basic (controller) setup would be enough for me in C:R.

Yes! THIS! If you all think I am a jerk, that's fine! Listen to Purple! He seems like a real swell guy! :) He wants to use his steering wheel!! There gobs of us out here! LOL! ;)
hdon6
mechanic

Post by hdon6 »

Starbuck, you obviously know/understand the wheel drivers and emulators better than I. I have been able to get a really old, ugly, yellow Logitech Wingman Formula GP wheel working in Windows 7 and play Carmageddon 1, (the version they graciously gave us for purchasing the new game) and it does not require any emulators. It is recognized in Windows, calibrates in Windows, Carmageddon (again, the "original" gifted version for Win 7) allows me to assign its values and it works 100%. The odd thing is Windows 7 sees it as a Wingman gampad (I assume it thinks its a game controller similarto an xBox controller), but when I go to calibrate it the calibrate program know it has 6 buttons and 2 axis. For whatever reason, it works. But when I try it in the new game, the game is looking for an xBox controller. I had no luck with xpadder or the xBoxCE. I'm ok if this particular wheel is never going to work on the new game, if there is the possibility of being able to get a wheel that will work. I'm not sure why the wheel I have works in the original on Win 7 though. (It also works on Need For Speed)

I would buy a new wheel, if I knew it was going to work. I was going to consider the G27 as Servo did, but with his results that didn't seem like an option. I'll likely have to wait to hear of someone having success before buying.

I'll politely decline the chocolate. And for the record, the "beer" Servo drinks is moat water.
starbuck
kill boss

Post by starbuck »

Servo451 wrote:
hdon6 wrote:Eptiaph, how about comparing apples to apples, like Carmageddon: Reincarnation to Carmageddon (1, 2, or [God Forbid] 3)? Then perhaps you might grasp a sense of OUR frustration. The predecessors ALL had wheel support. Its something some of us have come to expect as its as much a part of the game to us as the Eagle.

I pretty much agree with HDon here. Steering wheels are as Carmageddon-commonplace to me as cows. I never imagined they would be overlooked and marginalized.

P.S: I own 10 different wheel controllers ranging form a Thrustmaster T2 up to and including a Logitech G27. None of the pedals work properly, even with all the "fiddling" and background XInput programs/emulators and whatnot. Granted, the altering configuration file confounds me so. Stainless has not accounted for analog properties or null-zone, axes in the general software. If they just made an XBox controller setup (option D?) that included an accelerator/brake assigned to the Y (up/down) or RZ (3rd independent axis) with the 'ever important' dead/null zone ...most, if not ALL of our problems would probably be completely over. Think of it as AWSD assigned to the analogue stick on the controller. UP=Accelerate, DOWN=Brake, LEFT/RIGHT= Steer L/R. My pedal axis issues would be accounted for and I could use an emulator to assign keys to the buttons. Maybe? Could it be that simple? Starbuck, HDon? Purple? Trent? ....Nobby? Anybody? Hello? Hello? Is this thing on? Testy testy one.. two... three...

cooking dinner right now. But assigning keys to the controls dont work outside the game. Emulators and such

Only thing that seems to work is the text file . Tried putting WASD in the appropriate movements. Then tried assigning an emulator to try that. But again I think the emulator doesnt respond at all. Only the control config TXT file.

Its seems like the game locks out external control. But in GTA you can lock out DirectInput or XInput or something.

Trent pointed out that there are custom input names in the EXE file but havent tried that.
starbuck
kill boss

Post by starbuck »

hdon6 wrote:Starbuck, you obviously know/understand the wheel drivers and emulators better than I. I have been able to get a really old, ugly, yellow Logitech Wingman Formula GP wheel working in Windows 7 and play Carmageddon 1, (the version they graciously gave us for purchasing the new game) and it does not require any emulators. It is recognized in Windows, calibrates in Windows, Carmageddon (again, the "original" gifted version for Win 7) allows me to assign its values and it works 100%. The odd thing is Windows 7 sees it as a Wingman gampad (I assume it thinks its a game controller similarto an xBox controller), but when I go to calibrate it the calibrate program know it has 6 buttons and 2 axis. For whatever reason, it works. But when I try it in the new game, the game is looking for an xBox controller. I had no luck with xpadder or the xBoxCE. I'm ok if this particular wheel is never going to work on the new game, if there is the possibility of being able to get a wheel that will work. I'm not sure why the wheel I have works in the original on Win 7 though. (It also works on Need For Speed)

I would buy a new wheel, if I knew it was going to work. I was going to consider the G27 as Servo did, but with his results that didn't seem like an option. I'll likely have to wait to hear of someone having success before buying.

I'll politely decline the chocolate. And for the record, the "beer" Servo drinks is moat water.

Try this

Make a copy of "Controls_Gamepad_Preset_A_Default.TXT" so you have the original stored somewhere. Then open up the ORIGINAL Controls_Gamepad_Preset_A_Default.TXT. Remove all the lines and just put this...

//This defines the default game controller configuration

[ACCELERATE]

LSTICK_UP

[STEER_LEFT]

LSTICK_LEFT

[STEER_RIGHT]

LSTICK_RIGHT

And save the file. Then run the game with only your controller wheel, no emulators etc. Make sure of course that you are using Controller A in the game.

You should be able to steer left and right and only drive forward. If you cant drive forward then use the W key to at least drive to see if you turn.

What happens ?

This may be all I can post tonite. Feel sick.
starbuck
kill boss

Post by starbuck »

OK Trents post gave me an idea because it was easier to see in lines then all over the screen.

I played for about 20 minutes with my Xbox type gamepad. I noticed that the gas was gradual like a gas pedal. I am sure there is no argument there.

What I noticed that the brake pedal on the controller is actually more like an on/off switch. And I am pretty sure this is the same in Carmageddon 2. Yes I know you can slow down gradually in a car but it looks like you slow down gradually as opposed the the handbrake which I think actually locks the wheels. I could be wrong about the brake not being gradual.

So try this...

Make a copy of "Controls_Gamepad_Preset_A_Default.TXT" so you have the original stored somewhere. Then open up the ORIGINAL Controls_Gamepad_Preset_A_Default.TXT. Remove all the lines and just put this...

//This defines the default game controller configuration

[ACCELERATE]

LSTICK_UP

[STEER_LEFT]

LSTICK_LEFT

[BRAKE]

PC_S

[STEER_RIGHT]

LSTICK_RIGHT

Then run JoytoKey and ONLY change button 1 to from disabled to "S". Then run the game with the wheel.

I think this is the same as using the gas / pedal in Carma2.

BTW Trent again thanks for posting that. When I saw stuff like "BUT_A. BUT_B" It got me thinking.

Now off to try the Wheel completely in Carma2 to test how the brake does respond compared to the handbrake.

Change that. In the Steam and GOG version of Carmageddon 2 the gas and brake pedal dont work either. Cant remember what I did to get it to work now I got all these emulators and crap in my head.

Imagine that Carmageddon 2 not supporting wheel controllers :) .

I also wonder. there is still minor talk about CR coming out on consoles(actually very little). How many PC racing games are out there that are also coming out on consoles or presently on consoles . Especially ones that the games support PC wheels. Like for example GTA5 I heard does not really do good with wheels and is also on console.

Perhaps THAT is the answer why CR does not support wheels because the code used is used for only controllers and keyboards. Another example could be Wreckfest but I dont know if consoles are planned for that. Perhaps CR on PCs is just a springboard to get it to come out for release on consoles. It could be true that PC gaming is dying out since consoles are expanding outward. Or maybe Stainless wants to keep this more alive on consoles due to fear of piracy.

"P.S: I own 10 different wheel controllers " Jesus man, And I thought I was bad collecting junk :) I got 4 boxes worth of computer stuff in my closet not counting controllers, wheels etc.
starbuck
kill boss

Post by starbuck »

Sorry for this extra addon but its just in case someone already read my last post.

I got my old Wingman Rumblepad two stick joystick out and played the game. I played with the normal Setting A controller settings.

The camera position was permanently on the passenger side of the car looking over the car. When I drove the camera was stationary pointing at the car. Nothing I did on the controller would move the camera.

Steering worked with the left joystick fine.

Button X and Y were the brake and the gas. NOT the R and L trigger buttons like the xbox controller.

And one Setting A normally you could use the right stick to pan around the car. Well that stick was dead at least on Setting A.

So what I am thinking and I said this before I think is what we have is a port of a future XBox ONE and PS4 game. Sadly for that reason I think we are stuck with no Wheel Support. Hate to sound negative on this but I think now I can see why certain things are happening and now I cannot unsee it. Like my friend eating his chocolate pizza :)

This also includes some of the stuff Mr Deviance was saying. Its possible this is the reason why but he could not see the forest because of the trees.

See more on my thoughts on post 31 on this page.

http://www.carmageddon.com/forum/topic/27755?page=2#comment-76336
hdon6
mechanic

Post by hdon6 »

Appreciate the efforts starbuck, welcome to the darkside.
Trent
mindless

Post by Trent »

So what I am thinking and I said this before I think is what we have is a port of a future XBox ONE and PS4 game. Sadly for that reason I think we are stuck with no Wheel Support. Hate to sound negative on this but I think now I can see why certain things are happening and now I cannot unsee it.
Cross posting from that other thread so everyone in this thread reads it too because that is such a silly piece of misinformation to be telling people:

starbuck wrote:Been thinking of this for almost a year now and my suspicions might be turning into reality.

Honestly after looking at the controller code for example I think that this game is a "port" from an "Xbox or PS4 ready" game. Not saying it actually is ready for the consoles yet.

That's a stupid conclusion to reach with an even stupider reason used to reach it. The game is a PC game made for the PC, just because it doesn't have inputs for steering wheels doesn't make it a "console port". It doesn't have inputs for flight sticks either but that doesn't mean it's made for consoles.

The fact the game has Xbox controller inputs doesn't mean it's a "console port" either. By your logic, it must also be a port from an iPhone because it has inputs for tilt sensors.

No, there's a very logical and really obvious reason why there's no wheel inputs and why there are inputs for Xbox controllers: they have no made a game which uses a steering wheel since the early Carma 2 (the input system has obviously been entirely replaced since then) so they had not needed to add support for wheel inputs until C:R, for which wheel support wasn't as high priority as, say, improving the performance.

It has Xbox controller inputs because the uses the XIpnut API and the Xbox controller is archetypal XInput controller, not to mention the fact it is THE recommended pad for steam games and supporting it is mandatory to be certified for Big Picture mode.

There's also the glaringly obvious fact that the engine used for C:R is Stainless' in house cross platform engine which supports pretty much every platform under the sun and the input code has references to all input types the engine supports, its a waste of time to remove them from the code.

So, yes, a very stupid conclusion to reach.
a.k.a. Brent
Servo451
driver

Post by Servo451 »

starbuck wrote:

"P.S: I own 10 different wheel controllers " Jesus man, And I thought I was bad collecting junk :) I got 4 boxes worth of computer stuff in my closet not counting controllers, wheels etc.

Well, it's not like I went out and bought them all at once. They have been piling up since 1996. There would be more, but those old T2's weren't real robust. The couldn't hang. RIP. :(
Servo451
driver

Post by Servo451 »

starbuck wrote:

So what I am thinking and I said this before I think is what we have is a port of a future XBox ONE and PS4 game. Sadly for that reason I think we are stuck with no Wheel Support. Hate to sound negative on this but I think now I can see why certain things are happening and now I cannot unsee it. Like my friend eating his chocolate pizza :)

This also includes some of the stuff Mr Deviance was saying. Its possible this is the reason why but he could not see the forest because of the trees.

See more on my thoughts on post 31 on this page.

http://www.carmageddon.com/forum/topic/27755?page=2#comment-76336

Naahhhh.... I can't believe Carmageddon: Reincarnation was born as a console port. I think it is a simple fact of they took the quickest, simplest, cheapest, easiest path to get a game controller to work. Time and resources ran out, release day came and out goes the game... still in need of some "fleshing out". Priorities were made and they weren't anywhere near in step with what ol' Servo wanted. I would have traded the Bear for a Steering wheel. Dear lord, that hurt to say. The Bear is awesome, but I mean it. Painful as it is.

Many things I wanted fell by the wayside. I was DYING to see Sim play DieAnna in the Prat Cam. I was excited to see how splitscreen was gonna work. Car splitting, force feedback, Treaded vehicles, Elephants, etc etc etc... All of these things were IN at the start of this journey. But as each of those things got knocked out of scope or postponed I listened to SG's arguments. I sadly would agree and have to roll with it. I was willing to sacrifice a lot to get some fresh Carma carnage on! It wasn't until late into the Alpha that I noticed less and less positive talk about controllers. I started to panic and raise a stink and I was told to wait for the full release, it's only a BETA!! LOL. Remember that? Every little whine and complaint was reacted to with "IT'S ONLY A BETA!". Well. Here we are. Games out. Looks great, feels great, sounds great, it's frickin' hilarious and nostalgic as hell.... ....And I am still trying to get my damned wheel to work with it. I have no clue if it is dead or still being developed. So I guess they can have my Logitech G27 when they pry it form my cold, dead, chocolate pizza covered, fingers. (Dramatic enough? Heh)

But, no. I am nearly positive it was developed as a PC game. It just isn't done developing. :).
Servo451
driver

Post by Servo451 »

Trent wrote:

No, there's a very logical and really obvious reason why there's no wheel inputs and why there are inputs for Xbox controllers: they have no(t) made a game which uses a steering wheel since the early Carma 2 (the input system has obviously been entirely replaced since then) so they had not needed to add support for wheel inputs until C:R, for which wheel support wasn't as high priority as, say, improving the performance.

Trent. Can you clarify this for me? Are you saying Stainless hasn't made a game, or the PC Industry in general? Because EVERY game for the last 15 years that comes to my mind that involves driving (cars, boats, motorcycles, aircraft, car combat, or racing sims in general) ALL of them support steering controllers. All of them. At least the ones I have played. Which is embarrassingly a lot. :) They don't necessarily support ALL controllers, like DOS legacy wheels ...but there is literally, always "some" support.

EDIT: Nevermind. I read it again and let it soak in. I think you were referring to the updated Beelzebub engine SG updated for C:R that spawned from C1 and C2?
Servo451
driver

Post by Servo451 »

hdon6 wrote:Appreciate the efforts starbuck, welcome to the darkside.
You're a real shit disturber, Don. Heh. Keep it up.

And you can insult my manhood, my sexual orientation, and maybe even my mother... But don't you EVER call my Newcastle Brown Ales "moat water". EVER again. Ya got that? Good.

Haahaa! ;)
starbuck
kill boss

Post by starbuck »

Trent wrote:
So what I am thinking and I said this before I think is what we have is a port of a future XBox ONE and PS4 game. Sadly for that reason I think we are stuck with no Wheel Support. Hate to sound negative on this but I think now I can see why certain things are happening and now I cannot unsee it.

Cross posting from that other thread so everyone in this thread reads it too because that is such a silly piece of misinformation to be telling people:

starbuck wrote:Been thinking of this for almost a year now and my suspicions might be turning into reality.

Honestly after looking at the controller code for example I think that this game is a "port" from an "Xbox or PS4 ready" game. Not saying it actually is ready for the consoles yet.

That's a stupid conclusion to reach with an even stupider reason used to reach it. The game is a PC game made for the PC, just because it doesn't have inputs for steering wheels doesn't make it a "console port". It doesn't have inputs for flight sticks either but that doesn't mean it's made for consoles.

The fact the game has Xbox controller inputs doesn't mean it's a "console port" either. By your logic, it must also be a port from an iPhone because it has inputs for tilt sensors.

No, there's a very logical and really obvious reason why there's no wheel inputs and why there are inputs for Xbox controllers: they have no made a game which uses a steering wheel since the early Carma 2 (the input system has obviously been entirely replaced since then) so they had not needed to add support for wheel inputs until C:R, for which wheel support wasn't as high priority as, say, improving the performance.

It has Xbox controller inputs because the uses the XIpnut API and the Xbox controller is archetypal XInput controller, not to mention the fact it is THE recommended pad for steam games and supporting it is mandatory to be certified for Big Picture mode.

There's also the glaringly obvious fact that the engine used for C:R is Stainless' in house cross platform engine which supports pretty much every platform under the sun and the input code has references to all input types the engine supports, its a waste of time to remove them from the code.

So, yes, a very stupid conclusion to reach.

I did not crosspost to another thread I already mentioned it in THIS thread when I discussed springboards hours earlier.

"I also wonder. there is still minor talk about CR coming out on consoles(actually very little). How many PC racing games are out there that are also coming out on consoles or presently on consoles . Especially ones that the games support PC wheels. Like for example GTA5 I heard does not really do good with wheels and is also on console.Perhaps THAT is the answer why CR does not support wheels because the code used is used for only controllers and keyboards. Another example could be Wreckfest but I dont know if consoles are planned for that. Perhaps CR on PCs is just a springboard to get it to come out for release on consoles."

See that was posted to THIS thread.

I LINKED to another thread. And in THIS Thread what I posted was an extension of discussion about controllers. I barely mentioned the exact reason why I think it was "ported". Just because I give a detailed description of why I like dogs on one page and MENTION I like dogs on this page is not crossposting.

What I am mainly talking about in this thread is controllers and a little mention of porting, then I LINKED to that page which mainly has reasoning why the devs might have done what they did. Two different subjects that happen to related a little to each other.

Funny how YOU crossposted the same exact thing though and accuse me of the same thing you just did.

now we got the though police out here because I no longer can say "what I was THINKING" nor can I say what MIGHT be true. Thing about might can also be might not. You know that telling people what you THINK that MIGHT be true is not misinformation. Never said it was a fact.
Trent
mindless

Post by Trent »

starbuck wrote:I did not crosspost to another thread I already mentioned it in THIS thread when I discussed springboards hours earlier.

I LINKED to another thread. And in THIS Thread what I posted was an extension of discussion about controllers. I barely mentioned the exact reason why I think it was "ported". Just because I give a detailed description of why I like dogs on one page and MENTION I like dogs on this page is not crossposting.

Funny how YOU crossposted the same exact thing though and accuse me of the same thing you just did.

now we got the though police out here because I no longer can say "what I was THINKING" nor can I say what MIGHT be true. Thing about might can also be might not. You know that telling people what you THINK that MIGHT be true is not misinformation. Never said it was a fact.

What? I was saying I was crossposting, not accusing you of doing it.

Also, saying what you think might be true when it clearly isn't true is posting misleading information, which is the definition of misinformation.
a.k.a. Brent
starbuck
kill boss

Post by starbuck »

Trent wrote:
starbuck wrote:I did not crosspost to another thread I already mentioned it in THIS thread when I discussed springboards hours earlier.

What? I was saying I was crossposting, not accusing you of doing it.

Also, saying what you think might be true when it clearly isn't true is posting misleading information, which is the definition of misinformation.

Oh misread that statement. just woke up.

misinformation "false or inaccurate information, especially that which is deliberately intended to deceive." I did not deliberately try to post misinformation , I just stated what I was thinking. If it were true misinformation then this forum is full of it. I mean how do you know what their intention was ? So no its not clearly true or false.

If I were thinking of mowing the lawn tonite and didnt do it that would not be misinformation. Now if I said I didnt do it because it was going to rain then that would be misinformation if it was a clear sky.
starbuck
kill boss

Post by starbuck »

hdon6 wrote:Appreciate the efforts starbuck, welcome to the darkside.
Back to the good side. The "combine pedals" button should have been on in the profiler. I forgot I was playing around with them. PS see if you got any kind of settings like that..
matias-uy
pedestrian

Post by matias-uy »

No wheel support with force feedback is such a deal breaker... Nobby promised wheel support!

I will wait until there is an official patch/update/mod or whatever for wheel support with force feedback for my logitech g27 (pretty sure its the most common wheel on the market).

I talked with a lot of guys and I can tell you that Im not the only one in this waiting.

Anyway, thanks to the guys who spent time explaining the rest how to emulate the wheel as an x360 controller.
matias-uy
pedestrian

Post by matias-uy »

Pleaaase add wheel support in the next update!!!!
Servo451
driver

Post by Servo451 »

matias-uy wrote:Pleaaase add wheel support in the next update!!!!
+1

yeah yeah yeah yeah :) :) :)
flykas
turbo bastard

Post by flykas »

Why would you want wheel support? I think it would be very inconveniant since the physics and driving isnt very realistic. Do you play many arcade games with wheel ? I mean I gues ok if they add it, but I just don't see the point.
matias-uy
pedestrian

Post by matias-uy »

flykas wrote:Why would you want wheel support? I think it would be very inconveniant since the physics and driving isnt very realistic. Do you play many arcade games with wheel ? I mean I gues ok if they add it, but I just don't see the point.
The physics may not be as realistic as driving a real life car but not even Project CARS or Assetto Corsa can match real life.This is a car game, I do not see why playing using a wheel seems so strange to you. If you want to play with the keyboard or a gamepad, I respect that, but there is plenty of people like me who wants to play using a wheel. And also, I'm pretty sure that when the project started, Nobby said that the game will have wheel support.

Check who’s online