Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Rebuilding TTR's HMMWV

The greatest unfinished sequel ever!
Mad_Maxine
Pink

Rebuilding TTR's HMMWV

Post by Mad_Maxine »

and turning it into a Hummer H1

So as you may know long ago.. in the before time TTR created this.. what is i belive carmageddons first hummer, or HHWV

Now the sharp people here might rember my small screenshot a while ago when I started this.. but if not ill explain again.

What I did was loaded this up in cared.. since TTR usually leaves the Obj file in the car folder, and I started to chop it up, pull thigns around and reskin it too.

So whats diffrent?:
The main diffrence as you will see is a more accurate underside. Ive replaced TTR's solid truck axels with hummer looking suspension

Ive cut the front end up so it opens as a hummer hood does wich is the entire thing opens forwords. rather than just the top lift up like a regular car,

Ive changed the size of the rear windows, and added side windows, also pulled the windscreen back verry slightly,

and lastly ive made it wider.. TTR made a humemr on a diet. so heres the pics. hope you all like.. Specially TTR :P

So Ive put all the components togeather and all, whats left to do is just compile it, set up the handling, and smashables, (and hell I cant rember how to do suspension properly..) and add menue image, driver, and simple model.
Mad_Maxine
Pink

Re: Rebuilding TTR's HMMWV

Post by Mad_Maxine »

I got back before anybody else

Well model is finished, put coffeys driver in there, skinned it, added few more parts that needed finishing and texturing, a little cleaning up, and compiled it and what ya know it works stright away. going to make a complicated bounding box too to free up as much of the wheels as possible I want it to feel like it really is good offroad and hardly gets stuck on anything,

Oh and, im trying something I did a while ago.. Heres a little hint at what your going to get.

can ya see it?
Pip the pest
turbo bastard

Post by Pip the pest »

I can. :wink:
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Heh! It looks totaly different!
Definitely another good Maxine© asset.

There's just the top texture of the hummer that seems to lack any kind of detail in comparison to the rest of the texture set?
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Yeah, I see it too. Does that mean you've made a breakthrough in this elusive quest?

I agree with Tosh, you oughta separate the roof so you can project a texture from the top.
That's what you'll be looking at as you drive, if you're not using the cockpit view.
Oh, only other minor thing is the mirrored tire tread, is there way to not have that happen?
But anyway, that looks great so far.
Mad_Maxine
Pink

Post by Mad_Maxine »

Woo failure on an epic scale Ive used 3 bounding boxes in the body of the hummer allready to give it the groundclearance, add a 4th for the hitch and it .. dosent work very well so I try to add some more. to help hold the trailer in place.. But it seems .. 5 Bounding shapes crashes the game.. I dident know this.. could have swore Id used more on the truck before..

my aim was to try create a carmageddon car that wouldent get stuck on everything.. and this seems ok now.. Small video to show going over bumps and ground clerance stuff..

too bad we can only have RWD, makes me think why dident the orignal cars come setup like this kinda thing?..

Images,
Tried a slantback mod, as ya see slight change roof texture, uhh thats about it..

coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

With a body so boxy, why do you need 3 BBoxes? Why can't be something like below?
Also I didn't know there was limit you sure it just wasn't an error in the paperwork?
Attachments
HumBox.jpg
HumBox.jpg (69.62 KiB) Viewed 4482 times
Doritoskng
driver

Post by Doritoskng »

honestly cant wait to play with this in C2 with or without the trailer (with would be more fun tho)
Still alive some how
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

That video looks real great!

Hadn't noticed the trailer thing :B
Honestly I think we should think about a standard for these. Like a disabled opponent that you have to set on a multiplayer point or something. At least we should think about it, we might go forward afterward. Marvels await us behind that point I'm sure!

We could add in the readme of the 'trailer' addon, to take the grid starting point and copy it as an additional multiplayer starting point. I don't know, too tired actually. But you get the idea. Think about a standard process for setup/installation.
They will be advanced mods anyway, so the target audience will be people in the know. We can afford to explain a little more complicated stuff for this.

Also readmes should tell which addon cars the trailers are compatible with.
Also, oh I forgot.

Anyway I'll try to come up with the best commented txt setup for a disabled opponent during the week (unless it has already been done and I missed the thing?) and post it within devWAM. We need to push this. We talked so much how impossible it was with the C2 engine etc. through the years, but it's at hand here. A standard, guys. Guyzzzzz

Thinking about it... The main addon car and its trailer sharing the same materials/textures might result in funks working simultaneously on both models?! We'll have to find out!

Coffeycup: that shape would have to be divided into two simpler blocks, the hood/windshield part is concave. But yeah 2 bboxes should be enough?

Ah man, Carmageddon with caravan trailers. Carmageddon with Ferris wheel trailers. Carmageddon with these trailers?

I offtopic'ed your thread, Maxine. Sorry :ssad:
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
Mad_Maxine
Pink

Post by Mad_Maxine »

Toshble: Before you get all too excited im going to point out some major flaws that ive noticed while playing with trailers.

First, when any veichle is towing another its kinda the same as when your pushing a car, the trailer has to be much lighter than the thing thats towing it, my cars usually strugle to get up hills and top speed is reduced.. you can do it by massivly pushing up the power probly.. just means that if the trailer comes off the car towing it whatever it may be will then be faster than the speed of light,... But I did start to think what objects I could fit togeather using bounding boxes and such.. like would I be able to get a flatbed truck.. with a small lip around the edge to hold.. say a container?.. hm but I guess id end up turning carmageddon into some kind of.. Cargo shipping simulator.

I guess ill finish out a more simple test car for you guys to mess around with or something..

Coffye: the body does have a block, but I had to use a box for each axle too. this car has bee riddled with Wheels outside all shapes.. errors from the start and I dont wana go back and change it.. now that it actully works,.. see if you watch the vid the center of the car at the bottom is higher than the center of the wheels.. and if i tried lifting the wheels up into the body... it just said wheels outside all shapes.. I hate bounding boxes..

The box is actully this shape..

Thats all for now children.. I might remove the tow hitch and release this and work on such items for a future date.. afterall I allready have the hitch made now so I can just glue it to existing cars.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Ok, so it sounds like you're talking about the frozen opponent trick? I figured using drones prolly wasn't going to work since their wheels lock up as soon as you touch them, right?

I do want to see this happen regardless. I guess the multiplayer start point could be positioned right behind the player on the start grid as long as you're the only one. Otherwise you would know what position on the grid you'd appear. Or is the idea to drive to the 'shipping' lot to pick up your trailer?
Mastro 666
motorised death

Post by Mastro 666 »

What about teleportation? :oops:
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Post by Harmalarm »

What if you use a noncar as trailer and set the center of gravity more towards the rear of the thing? The attachment point of the trailer would have to be set with care, but once the thing is properly attached I figure it would behave the way a trailer should... hmmmm :investigate:

I want to give this a go myself soon. I really think it should be possible without using frozen opponents...
Mad_Maxine
Pink

Post by Mad_Maxine »

Going to leave hummer as is, Removing trailer hitch, Will start a topic on trailers and just finish off this car as it is,
Econobrick
Stucco

Post by Econobrick »

Looks gooden! Seeing what bodystyles came after these makes me appreciate the look of these quite a bit more.

Wait, doesn't including the wheels in the bounding box make it so the car can't even move?? That's how I remember it being, at least...

Also, don't forget the Hummer(s) Slayer made like twelve(!) years ago :B (pretty sure they were made at someone else's request. Red Steel wheel textures scanned in from an AMT '64 Impala model kit and Solid Black textures with "lighten" brush. That's how it's done!!?)

Check who’s online