Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Eagle RS

The greatest unfinished sequel ever!
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Eagle RS

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Hi friends,

Here's another revamp of the Eagle 1.
Model was made for GTA4 by Carma.com forum's FatCat.
Driver is Econobrick's :smad:

Pay attention that the whole thing is about 20,000 triangles.
It doesn't appear as an opponent though.

Spent a lot of time on the materials + shell to get a good looking model.
Comes with the usual grooves, funks, flaps, detach etc.

Did you know?
Simple models apparently don't need the ACT and MAT file (simp_model materials must then be included in the main MAT).

You can download it at Road Reaction.
Attachments
eaglers.jpg
eaglers.jpg (118.21 KiB) Viewed 3587 times
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
coffeycup
Genesis

Re: Eagle RS

Post by coffeycup »

Wow that's pretty slick, but man, that's a lot of polys. I like that the driver looks like Tony!
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Post by Harmalarm »

What a sweet revamp. The thing looks monstrous, an the high poly-count sure helps the curvature and smoothing. I like the tire thread textures as well.
So great work to you and FatCat! :thumbsup:
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Post by Razor »

Shwing! What a beauty!
[ Razor @ Carmageddon Webmasters Alliance Network ] [ My Downloads ] [ My Carma Items ] [ Conversion lists ]
To download the BETA Mod and more information on my other work, visit me @ https://razor.cwaboard.co.uk
Pip the pest
turbo bastard

Post by Pip the pest »

Looks great :thumbsup: and the 20,000 poly's: Gives me an idea. NO,only kidding. :wink:
matt
im new, be gentle

Post by matt »

As much as I want to balk at the sheer poly overload, I know that's just me wearing a grump old man "you couldn't get away with that back in my day" grumble grumble etc. Viewing through my whippersnapper-goggles I'm glad to see it's even possible, and is it just me or is this the first time in a LONG time that I'm seeing smoothing groups done properly and not just simulated through gradient on the textures?
C2 Scientist
jaywalker

Post by C2 Scientist »

Looks real good, it was time well spent. :)
Simple models apparently don't need the ACT and MAT file (simp_model materials must then be included in the main MAT).
I assume if you use main model materials for the simple model as well, it would make it easier with car color options too.

Next stop: find a way to unlock multiple simple model levels... :)
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Thanks for the comments :sbsmile:

The wheel textures are indeed sweet, I baked the normal map into the diffuse one, turned out good.

Such a hipoly model is indeed the opposite of what I usualy preach :B
But I like to bring some eye-candy now and then, like the General Lee. Such a hipoly model also allows me to play with higher specular values on some materials without resulting in faceted artefacts (in the shading).

Matt: About the smoothing groups, Econobrick almost always used them I think but he baked shading into his textures anyway. Nowadays, people like Harm and Pip tend to setup the SGs as well. New tools make it easier too. However with such material setups, the SHELL model is very important for the eye-candy as it suppresses the hard edges at the uvw map seams and anyway the point of the SHELL is to have a less severed model so that shades/highlights can run flawlessly on the whole model.
Env map + SGs makes it difficult to maintain details on the bodypaint though, must rely on floating geo or decals to add them afterward, and god knows how much C2 doesn't like decals.

C2S: I'm pretty sure you already tried every possible way :sdead:
Setting LOD numbers to anything higher than 1 makes the game crash. And I guess going with stuff like MAINMODEL.2, MAINMODEL.3 etc doesn't help either...
C1 didn't even 'offer' to set the number of LOD models. It was just the three view modes. I guess C2 just ditched the cockpit view and kept the unique LOD simple model. They probably wanted to have more but it was scraped during developpement like the rest of their good ideas.

Next: Super smooth ski track :)
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Post by Razor »

Toshiba-3 wrote: Super smooth ski track :)
That'd be fun, instead of your car just falling apart whenever you approach the bottom of a slope.
[ Razor @ Carmageddon Webmasters Alliance Network ] [ My Downloads ] [ My Carma Items ] [ Conversion lists ]
To download the BETA Mod and more information on my other work, visit me @ https://razor.cwaboard.co.uk
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Razor wrote:That'd be fun, instead of your car just falling apart whenever you approach the bottom of a slope.
Hah, I know what you mean.
Tosh, is it a new skitrack or a revamped/smoothed C2 skitrack that we're familiar with?
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

The original C2 ski track, as suggested by C2S :)
Skitrack3 exactly, aka. Snow Way Out or the mission In Cold Blood.

In the same vain as the NuDesert thing we did with ChevyII, but executed more properly this time, the meshsmoothing I mean. The nudesert has a lot of glitches here and there, esp. texture-wise.

Check who’s online