Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

I fail at Grooves forever.

The greatest unfinished sequel ever!
classicdrogn
driver

I fail at Grooves forever.

Post by classicdrogn »

(pratcam: :spissd: "OH SHI- !")

So, if you also check the Carmageddon.com board you'll have seen this already, but these boards seem to have more new messages, so hopefully there will be some fresh eyes on the problem. First, though, a little background:

A couple days ago a particularly unwise person said something that reminded me of Carmageddon, and I set out on an odyssey of exploration in the wooly wilds of the internet to see what might be found of the community a decade after I got distracted by something else and fell out of it. (I hit google, and had my answer in seconds: Mostly, you mob are still here and arsing about in the same general way)

A binge of forum and devteam blog reading later (Yay C:R!) and discovering that my C2 disk was in fact one of the few survivors of a house fire (there was a book of matches right under the jewel case... I have my suspicions, now) I thought, "Hey, why don't I try my hand at making a car again? I've gotten better at modeling since the Tanto and Magic 8-Ball. I know, I'll do Junior!"

So I did various black magic rites to get C2 and CarEd working on Win7, and dove on in. Now it's three or four days later depending on how you count them, and I've got this impaled on my trusty speargun:

By classicdrogn at 2012-04-29

The only thing standing between it and the mean streets of your own personal pc, is the :supermad: Grooves that refuse to work, despite copying them directly from existing cars (and changing the partname.DAT line to fit, natch.)

Here's what I've got in the carname.txt:
4,13,-1,-1 // Left-front suspension parts GroovyFunkRef
3,14,-1,-1 // Right-front suspension parts GroovyFunkRef
6,11 // Left-rear suspension parts GroovyFunkRef
5,12 // Right-rear suspension parts GroovyFunkRef

(...)

(steering pivot and wheel spin Grooves that work fine)

NEXT GROOVE

RLSUSP.DAT
not a lollipop
constant
no path
shear
controlled

NEXT GROOVE

RRSUSP.DAT
not a lollipop
constant
no path
shear
controlled

NEXT GROOVE

FLSUSP.DAT
not a lollipop
constant
no path
shear
controlled

NEXT GROOVE

FRSUSP.DAT
not a lollipop
constant
no path
shear
controlled

NEXT GROOVE

CJRCHEWZOR.DAT
not a lollipop
distance
no path // have also tried the "no fucking path you cuuuuuunt" version of the keyword
rock
pendulum // have also tried "linear" which I would expect to spin coninuously, but nothing happened
2 // dunno what speed I need, test and find out
0,0.25,-0.18 //hinge location
x // jaw pitches up and down
10 // might increase angle to +-15

END OF GROOVE
So can you see why my suspension parts aren't suspending and my chompy jaw is locked up tight? Getting them to work and writing a .c2c is all that's left before calling it ready for release.

- CD, aka dialNforNinja more recently
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Re: I fail at Grooves forever.

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Saw that on Carma.com forums yesterday. It looks really good!
Welcome back by the way :ssmile:

In this case, the easiest way for you to get help on this is to share your WIP so that we can try to figure out directly what's wrong.
But I can already say that pendulum isn't an existing keyword :B You either want linear or harmonic there.
Are you sure that the components really have the .DAT extension after their ID?
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
classicdrogn
driver

Post by classicdrogn »

Thanks for the Pool Cue of Wisdom, Toshiba-3! With that straightened out, all I need to do is get it hosted. CoffeyCup has volunteered his Mac Carpocalyse, do you want a copy too for TSS, since my earlier two are there? Hit me with an email if so, classicdrogn at yahoo (dotcom, of course)

Anyone else who wants it right away to wait can feel free to do the same.

- dNN
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

I think this ped just shit his pants!

You can download it now
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Post by Harmalarm »

what a great design! I really like it. Though I cannot remember your, welcome back!
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

What is there to add? This is a superb comeback :scool:
Just tested it, everything works well and it's a really funny design indeed.

Totally fits MacCarpocalypse. BTW I'm not in charge of TSS (that'd be LumberJack, I run RoadReaction) but I think you can upload addons on TSS yourself directly.
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Post by Razor »

I think you can upload addons on TSS yourself directly.
You can, I think Halogaland uses TSS for his stuff.
[ Razor @ Carmageddon Webmasters Alliance Network ] [ My Downloads ] [ My Carma Items ] [ Conversion lists ]
To download the BETA Mod and more information on my other work, visit me @ https://razor.cwaboard.co.uk
Lumberjack
road raged psycho

Post by Lumberjack »

Toshiba-3 wrote:I think you can upload addons on TSS yourself directly.
Yes, that's the idea. When I get the site back up, anyone who wants to have upload rights just needs to apply via the site contact form (after creating a username first)

Check who’s online