Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

So I was watching Mad Max 2 for the millionteenth time today

The greatest unfinished sequel ever!
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

So I was watching Mad Max 2 for the millionteenth time today

Post by Deep_Blue »

...and I found some C2 cars modeled after ones from the movie (MFP Interceptor, Black-on-Black, Red Bat) and some post-apoc vehicles from the old "Ruin-Nation" project.. (Whatever happened to that, anyways?) and I got to screwing around in Googley Earth and looking at the filming locations for MM2 and I got to thinking it might be nice to have a track based on the Australian Outback to tear around on in C2 (I absolutely HATE those tight, square-cornered C2 tracks....I like to DRIVE, flat-out) so I started plotting points in CarEd and texturing the resulting model with snapshots and aerial photos of the Mundi Mundi Plain/Silverton/Broken Hill NSW area, starting with the Pinnacles and the compound and working my way out from there.

I'm having to use some artistic license as far as making a circuitous route or two but the MM2 filming locations are almost spot-on for roads and terrain. (Ya can make a dry creek bed go almost anywhere).

What I wanna know is:

Has anybody already done anything like this before? (MM2-based track)
Is anybody interested in processing/adding to the model to get it ingame?
What format would the model have to be in to get it into PT2 or whatever proggy is being used nowadays to make tracks?

And last but not least-why the heck is the paragraph I'm typing jumping all over the place as I type, making it damn near impossible to see what the heck I'm typing?
"Preciate any thoughts.

D_B
***When I die may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline***
Errol
Toxic Ranger

Re: So I was watching Mad Max 2 for the millionteenth time t

Post by Errol »

And last but not least-why the heck is the paragraph I'm typing jumping all over the place as I type, making it damn near impossible to see what the heck I'm typing?
IE8 bug, unfortunately. I suffer from it too. As soon as I get a moment I'll try and fix it!
:: You wanna build a snowman mod C:R? Get Flummery, the Carmageddon modders tool. ::
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Yo D_B, good to see you back!
No, I don't think anyone's done any MM maps. I thought about it, but that's as far as I got. ;)

Most people would use 3DSMax..I'm the oddball and would use Sketchup to model and texture. If you wanna make the model in CarEd (don't even texture it), I can import it into Sketchup to texture it and generally help getting it into the game.

I liked the "fort" made of tires and sheet metal with a bus blocking the entrance the settlers had in Thunderdome. It would be cool to make it all out custom noncars so it would be destructible.

I love the MM movies, I thought about buying the whole collection, even went to a Best Buy in hopes of picking up a DVD or two or three but they didn't have anything. They are out on disc aren't they?
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Hey, Coffey! What's up, man! :grin:

That compound was in MM2. It was the refinery.

Right now I'm just getting the terrain mapped out (roads, hills, the Pinnacles, etc.)

Haven't even given a thought to buildings and stuff yet but I wanna get a sizeable chunk of something that looks kinda like New South Wales built. Someplace ya can open 'er up and raise hell, y'know?

I was thinking along the lines of it working like a "Bruise Brothers" track where there's explicit opponents and everybody's out to get you with maximum nastiness. Just like Bruise Brothers-opponents start from random points on the map, etc.

I don't have any idea of scale yet as I have nothing to reference it to, but I want a large area with no tight turns (with the exception of the curve going north past Silverton and the curve north of Mundi Mundi lookout where Max piled up the tanker) and no sharp up/down angles (except in the creek beds and the occaisional whoop-de-do...gotta get damaged on the terrain somewhere).

Any towns (Silverton/Broken Hill) that the road goes through would just have modeled fronts along the roads and the rest would be blocked/cordoned off with 'artwork' depicting the rest of the town (like where the Barrier Highway goes through Broken Hill or Silverton Rd. gos through Silverton-although there's some room to play in Silverton as it looks like they have an oval track there.

I'm rusty as hell doing this and CarEd is not the best tool for mapmaking, so there might end up some holes in the map and scaling problems that'll need to be cleaned up.
I've got Sketchup somewhere but never got to break it out and use it...Is it easer to see and do stuff in?

I got the MM trilogy. Check out StageVue. They're playing on there last I saw.

Waiting on Fury Road, but after the first three-Ol' George is gonna hafta figure out how to outdo himself...
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Deep_Blue wrote:I've got Sketchup somewhere but never got to break it out and use it...Is it easer to see and do stuff in?
I think so. Anything's got to be easier to work in than CarEd! 'Specially something big like a map.
C2 Scientist
jaywalker

Post by C2 Scientist »

I second that, you should forget CarEd. If you can get your hands on a relatively new 3dsmax, you would appreciate the comprehensive toolset on it. Takes a bit to learn maybe, but really, after that you'll be beating your head with a stick, shouting "why the hell have I been using CarEd!". :lol:

Thinking of your project, you might like the ability to create a huge, dense polygon grid by just adjusting a few values and then dragging with mouse, which would serve as the basic terrain. And the ability to then paint elevation changes on that terrain with a paintbrush (or alternatively, import a black-n-white image representing elevation changes).

And for roads, you would first draw a line representing the cross-section of the road, then draw a second line representing the path to sweep that cross-section along, and hey presto, an instant road, just waiting for a texture you want to use on it. There's a way to make that road stick to the underlying terrain as well.

The toolset for more basic modeling is vastly superior to CarEd as well. For a video example, go to Youtube and search for something like "3dsmax poly modeling car".
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Hey C2S!
Yeah I have 3ds Max 3 but an't seem to get stuff right in it. I've been using it for years just to convert stuff.
I suppose I should drag out Sketchup and see how to use it. CarEd is such a hop in the nuts to use on anythng really big.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

The one thing I like about Sketchup is its pretty intuitive and doesn't have the steep learing curve of 3dsMax. I'm getting old and my poor brain has trouble with steepness. :wink:
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Yahmon! I can dig the steepness. I'm almost forty-f&$%in'-eight.
I can only devote so much time to just learning the software before I chuck it and look for an easier way. I d/l'ed Sketchup 8 and I'm gonna do just what I did with CarEd...Turn it on and start screwing with it. I seem to learn stuff goodly that way. Meanwhile I'll keep plugging away in CarEd.
Husky
hit n run

Post by Husky »

HAHA, that's nice. So true.
I like sketchup because it's more hands-on, and you can get plugins to assist you too.
Mad Max RW
motorised death

Post by Mad Max RW »

The closest thing I can remember was a complete recreation of the first Mad Max movie for the free racing sim "Racer". It was huge and done close to scale. That was like 10 years ago, so who the hell knows where it is now.
Takeshi666
turbo bastard

Post by Takeshi666 »

Am I the only person who prefers the first movie to The Road Warrior?
pileup
turbo bastard

Post by pileup »

sadly enough.. i've never seen any of the mad max films. must watch them though at some point. and if it is any good i'll go and make some models from it. :tongue:
running people over.. so many peds so little time...
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

D_B, have you tried the HTA track I converted years ago?
It's a large post-apoc track (not as large as what you're working on at the moment) from a game called Hard Truck Apocalypse.
It could give you some design ideas I guess:
https://rr2000.cwaboard.co.uk/carmageddon-2#tracks
It takes a long while to load btw.
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Thanks, Tosh. I'm grabbin' it now.

I'm modeling the map using Google Earth for a reference. I DO hafta figure out how to keep the track somewhat circuitous. That and physical map edge boundaries.
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Argh.

Tried to grab that track and got a 'malicious website blocked' Norton warning.

Guess that ain't hap'nin.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

I'm aware about the problem D_B :ssad:
There's no virus or anything at all on my site though...

Here try the direct link: https://rr2000.cwaboard.co.uk/R4/C2/HardTruck_C2.rar
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

OK. Gotcha.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

I figured I'd post this here since it started with movies. You know what movie is pretty great, kinda Mad Max, Resident Evil? Doomsday.
Here's a clip of the big car chase...looks like the outback.
Mastro 666
motorised death

Post by Mastro 666 »

"This video is not available in your country."
:sad:
Deep_Blue
Road Puppy

Post by Deep_Blue »

Nice!
Mad_Maxine
Pink

Post by Mad_Maxine »

Im gona go ahead and burst this right here, A pretty poor car chase. ive seen it.

So ok its a chase full of british cars.. such as rover police cars, london taxies a nd such.. in the deserty type senerio for some reson.. anyway The driver is aparently compleatly terrible because shes driving a modern bently.. and Cant outrun,.. a 70s rover, a london taxi, a van and a moris minor. and lets think about the movie physics

Driving over a bike causes a van to explode, Crashing into an empty bus causes it to explode, driving into an empty abandoned trailer on its side. causes it to explode. hmm.

Its cheesy and pretty stupid, and not that much action.. oh and aparently bentlys are indistructable..

Id avoid it. .and stick to mad max. where real car chases and stunts happen. (ill even forgive the smashing thru the trailer in the first chase) I just hope they dont screw up the next mad max,
Takeshi666
turbo bastard

Post by Takeshi666 »

...anyone seen Corvette Summer?
Mad_Maxine
Pink

Post by Mad_Maxine »

I saw the car. wich was enough to make me not watch it.

When did I turn into the grumpy member anyway?

Check who’s online