Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Carmageddon 1 remake in XNA

When the mayhem started! And its expansion pack made by interns!
jeff_1amstudios
driver

Carmageddon 1 remake in XNA

Post by jeff_1amstudios »

I'm remaking Carmageddon 1 using XNA! (XNA is a wrapper over DirectX for managed code).

I'm about 6 months into the project now, and have been posting updates on my blogand at Toshiba's forum, but probably most of you here haven't heard of it.

I've got vehicles (using PhysX), tracks, groove/funk animations, audio, particle effects, and currently implementing material modifiers.

The aim is to recreate an authentic C1 clone, and make it easy to run on windows, easy to use custom cars, tracks, peds, and add options for new-skool effects while keeping the old-skool vibe.

Check out my blog for updates, and my youtube page for the latest videos :)

Heres an old screenshot:

OpenC1 - Open-source Carmageddon engine! http://www.1amstudios.com/projects/openc1
coffeycup
Genesis

Re: Carmageddon 1 remake in XNA

Post by coffeycup »

Wow, its hard to believe I'm not watchingthe original C1in the vids. You really nailed it, I think!

What are your plans for peds? You're following the look so closely so I wonder will it be sprites or 3D chars?
Qwerty_86
kill boss

Post by Qwerty_86 »

Wow, that's impressive. I've tried playing around with XNA and it was frustrating for me to make anything work (especially collision detections).
Beast
The Man

Post by Beast »

Whoa, very cool! Looking forward to more stuff!
hazardic
motorised death

Post by hazardic »

you have great results already) physics looks more neat :grin:
jeff_1amstudios
driver

Thanks for the feedback :smile: Its been a lot of work but fun digging into how everything works. CoffeyCup, awesome, I remember using your skins when I was playing C1 a long time ago! Yep, the plan is to keep the sprite pedestrians, at least in the first version.
OpenC1 - Open-source Carmageddon engine! http://www.1amstudios.com/projects/openc1
TheJabMan
.:protagonist:.

Post by TheJabMan »

Sexiness indeed.
nWo4life
motorised death
Location: Let me explain something to you people. What happens on this board I take REAL serious. I don't care who you are, how big you are (or how small). I'm nWo4life!! And I've come here, to FIGHT!!

Post by nWo4life »

Wow, this is excellent! I'm very new to XNA, I guess I won't be able to help/contribute to this project looking at how far it already is progressed.

I'm curious to see how the damage models are going to end up. I wish you the best of luck, will definitely be following this project!
"I never thought ye had it in ye." - Ken Shamrock

"I have registered myself for the 30th (Look: we're still counting!) time... Does this officially make me an attention-seeking internet whore? No?" - Mr. Hawk
jeff_1amstudios
driver

mmm, damage models :smile:

I spent a few solid days last year trying to understand how the damage model was stored in the car.txt files.

This is what I've found

I think its going to be possible, but difficult. But thats part of why carmageddon is so fun, so I'd love to be able to implement it :smile:

I've just finished material modifers + skidmarks. I've finally tracked down Shayde who wrote the C1 text file decoder back in '97, who agreed to share his code, so now my engine can read both encrypted and unencrypted files :smile: Awesome!
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Post by Razor »

You're progressing at a high rate of speed, well done. I look forward to trying this out. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
[ Razor @ Carmageddon Webmasters Alliance Network ] [ My Downloads ] [ My Carma Items ] [ Conversion lists ]
To download the BETA Mod and more information on my other work, visit me @ https://razor.cwaboard.co.uk
jeff_1amstudios
driver

I've put some new screenshots of material modifiers and cockpit views on http://blog.1amstudios.com
hazardic
motorised death

Post by hazardic »

woow. pretty good looking skidmarks and cockpits=))
The Outlaw
hit n run

Post by The Outlaw »

Would be possible to have a demo of C1XNA?

What your doing here is quite impressive.
I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
keven977
pedestrian

Post by keven977 »

Very impressive ! :lol:

Would it be possible to add a multiplayer (Internet) mode when it will be finish ?

That would be really awesome but this is only a suggestion :smile:
jeff_1amstudios
driver

I've been working on implementing special volumes and getting some simple lighting into my c1 engine.

The latest screenshots showing the lighting on/off are pretty cool :smile:

http://blog.1amstudios.com

Multiplayer - that would be awesome! Its still a bit down the track though.
Econobrick
Stucco

Post by Econobrick »

Fitting, but I hope you make that optional.

The lighting looks like it works for the tracks well, but the cars not so much. Kinda exaggerates the already rigid models.

I suppose it suits the engine more than c2-style smooth lighting would... but as it is, highlighting each triangle on the model, doesn't look so nice...on the eagle (and therefore hawk), at least.

As you yourself are presently aware, my grammar sucks.
hazardic
motorised death

Post by hazardic »

i think the lightning is a good idea - the track doesn't look flat and has more 3d look now=)) the same i could tell about cars - depends of lightning source it could be lighten or darken=)) impressive
Econobrick
Stucco

Post by Econobrick »

I just thought the lack of lighting suited c1 better.

With it, it looks like psx carmageddon, which isn't necessarily a good thing!

Well done though, in any case.
TTR
Psycho Maniac

Post by TTR »

See my thought on this on his blog, in the comments.
Killer11
hit n run

Post by Killer11 »

Stop dissing it, it will most likely be optional and it's an ESSENTIAL part of any 3D engine.
hazardic
motorised death

Post by hazardic »

well i agree with Econobrick - some objects like original eagle show an ugly geometry with lightning - of course the are!=))) i just said that it gives a good looking picture in some areas on the track and of course lightning will be good on a simple object - or object with enough polygons. on a some Tosh's good c1 conversions the lightnig will be amazing i guess :grin:

and btw nobody is dissing it - we're just talking :grin:
maxdamage
pedestrian

Post by maxdamage »

This is so great I ran out of words.

Please keep the good work going, its going to be awesome to finally be able to play C1 with high resolutions and high framerates :lol:

But as someone mentioned: Is there going to be a proper internet support? Im sure the ultimate dream of everyone posting on this board was always being able to play C1 online cooperative mode with pedestrians included. With nowadays technology it should be possible.

Totally looking forward for the track editor too. Finally custom tracks for C1 ;D

Cheers
TTR
Psycho Maniac

Post by TTR »

Just get a modeling program if you need a track editor.
jeff_1amstudios
driver

hey guys. I've uploaded a new video showing the first cut of the opponents system. I spent about 30 hours on it in the weekend, made the video sunday night then went to sleep :smile:

yep, the lighting will be totally optional (none, track-only, cars-and-track). I agree, some of the cars don't look quite right with lighting and some do. The tracks I think look better with it turned on. In the latest video, check out the crane at 0:52-1:00. As it turns, it gets lighter and darker.
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Post by Razor »

I like this, alot.

The opponents actually take corners at speed, as opposed to slowing down to a near halt before turning.
[ Razor @ Carmageddon Webmasters Alliance Network ] [ My Downloads ] [ My Carma Items ] [ Conversion lists ]
To download the BETA Mod and more information on my other work, visit me @ https://razor.cwaboard.co.uk
jeff_1amstudios
driver

Definitely, it was one of the annoying things about the original game :smile:
Killer11
hit n run

Post by Killer11 »

I also suggest making the "opponent teleports near you if he drives too far bit. Sure it's true to the original game but I dislike this behaviour. So it would be nice if you could choose this in difficulty settings or so.

Also I don't remember if opponents attacked each other in C1(in C2 they don't) but it would be AWESOME if they did in XNA, you could add an option for that too.

Also at least C2 had the problem of opponents not having engine sounds, well you get the idea...

Also can we already call it OpenCarma ?
jeff_1amstudios
driver

yep, I reckon so - I registered http://www.opencarmageddon.com the other day! It just points to my blog at the moment.

I dont think they do attack each other in C1 - they crash into each other a lot but always to get to the next node or the player. Could probably add it once I've got player attack mode done. Yep, almost everything could be an option :smile:

Yep, opponents will have full 3d engine sounds. was that not done in c2? surely it was!?
Razor
Stomping-on-Kittens

Post by Razor »

Yep, opponents will have full 3d engine sounds. was that not done in c2? surely it was!?
You could enable it but it never worked.

____

It alsomight be interesting to see opponents attack each other for a change..
SoupaVedg
motorised death

Post by SoupaVedg »

Well, there IS a way to make it work, Razor, but it's buggy, as soon as an opponent use the same engine sound as your car use, your car become "mute" so to speak.
SoupaVedg! The only super hero who have Soup in his name!
Mastro 666
motorised death

Post by Mastro 666 »

:thumbsup: x 1000

Keep up the brilliant work!! :cool:
Econobrick
Stucco

Post by Econobrick »

that's probably what he meant.

I remember dos c1 doing it properly, but i haven't been able to run c1 in dos since i chucked my old computer into the landfill that is my basement.

However, you'll notice that c1 & splatpack when run in carma95 has the same problem as c2 when sound detail is set to full.
Aaron
turbo bastard

Post by Aaron »

physics look great!
What's Carmageddon?
juozas
hit n run

Post by juozas »

Well ... I remember running carmageddon on my older pc with not decent hardware whitch ran fine except sometimes it rarely crashed... But it won't run propertly on new pc (game timer runs too fast).

An old pc specs was 1100 MHz AMD Duron processor, 128 MB ram, 8MB integrated grapchics card, integrated sound, etc. , so it ran fine :lol:

I used the windows exe (carma95) whitch came on lader distributions... And sound quality was pretty good, hires mode worked ok :smile:

So i think i'd like to see this new carma when it's done... And it would be good if it would work on both full and demo versions :lol:
Сделано в СССР
macacom
turbo bastard

Post by macacom »

Can't wait to play :smile:

Wish you luck with everything!!
Guardo o mundo na mão: e o mundo que se foda

Check who’s online