Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Carma 1 COP (APC)

The greatest unfinished sequel ever!
Tarquin
hit n run

Carma 1 COP (APC)

Post by Tarquin »

I've resently started making a model for Carmageddon II.
Its my first time I've used this Cared thing and found it to be somewhat easy to use but I would have prefered to have used Blender3D for the modeling and the texturing :smile:

I've started the texturing and not particualy fond of how it works, Blender's UV mapping was much more durable?

Anyway, this is my Cop APC from Carmageddon 1 made through Cared

More than likely someone probably has allready re-made the APC but I havn't come accross it and I don't like to use direct conversion from Carmageddon 1 as they do not have any detachables, look pretty horrid and well, would rarther see a re-make. :smile:

It consists of 1,330 polys, yes I know thats not alot in comparrison to many other user made vehicles but some of the cars I've downloaded have had more polys then the actually race maps - like the re-make of Mother Trucker, that has 16,000 polys and one of the maps in game only has 9,000 polys.
Sure my computer can handle this but since I have 15 opponents on each map and when there are more then 6 super high poly models there thent he game slows a little - and more then half the cars in game are user made ones which tend to be very high in poyls (And I don't want to take down the "try high res" mode from glide wrapper as it'll all look horrid again seeing the game running in 640x400?)

So what do you think for my first model? :cool:

Oh and this APC has 5 detachables, 4 breakable lights, an interior but no driver as you wouldn't be able to see him and I don't plan on having this car being splitable.

Future tech stuff.
The APC will be a Strength 5 opponent, it'll be like Don dumpster's vehicle but faster, lighter, more manoveble and more armoured........so basically it wont be like Dumpster at all ....
I'm also planning on throwing 4 of these onto the "Bruise brothers" semi mission (which I have moved to the last and only mission in my game) I've allready added some guys Suppressor re-make (based on Carmageddon 3's new Suppressor) and made it as tough as the original Carma 1 suppressor, basically its like the boss of the game - the final showdown, oh and I've removed "solid grannet car" from that mission so you'll have to rely on pure strength. :smile:

Tags:
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Re: Carma 1 COP (APC)

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Hello~

Cool cop APC here. Coffeycup's actually making an updated model as well (http://www.cwaboard.com/ubbthreads/show ... &o;=&vc;=1). The only other C2 port of the cop APC is a simple convertion.

If you can find an ASE exporter for Blender, you'll be able to work in Blender and export your work to PlayThing2 with ASE2ASC. The ASE format must be as close as possible to 3DSMAX ASE format. And then it will export the uvw map and smoothing groups.

Oh and I'm the one who converted the TDR Suppressor~
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
Tarquin
hit n run

Post by Tarquin »

Toshiba-3 wrote:Hello~

Cool cop APC here. Coffeycup's actually making an updated model as well (http://www.cwaboard.com/ubbthreads/show ... &o;=&vc;=1).
Oh and I'm the one who converted the TDR Suppressor~

Eeeek, that looks amazing - looks like I'll be sending my cop car to Max's junkyard :grin:

Oh and I've tried registering on that site but I've been awaiting for the admin to "aproove" my account so I can post there. Could you PM who ever the admin is about this, thanks :smile:
Lumberjack
road raged psycho

Post by Lumberjack »

You can also use Bemax to get your UV-mapped car into Plaything2, it should be still about. Plaything2 is a nice tool if you can get to grips with it, also try to find the hacked version which crashes less and has some more features. Link anyone?
Tarquin
hit n run

Post by Tarquin »

When I tried to use Plaything2 is said that it would only work in 8 but mode or something like that. I then checked the read me and it said that you may need to disable your graphics cards for it to work.

I didn't like the sound of any of that so I went straight for Cared :smile:

I'm currently re-making Mech maniac now and this time I'm making it as easy to texture as possible. That means my cubes are like 6 objects so I can apply 6 textures, 1 for each side instead of slapping 1 on the front and the last pixel is stretched around the other 5 sides. :crazy:

Anyway, alls I need to do now is make the wheels and the cab roof which'll be detachable.
Once its fully modeled, I'll post a screenshot of it :smile:
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Unfortunately, PT2 is a necessary step to achieve fully featured add-on cars :eek:
It's indeed an unstable program and can be tricky at times but the level of finish of your models will be way higher than those going only through poor old CarEd.
PT2 allows you to keep and change smoothing groups (or setup them if the model came SG-less), setup the materials, optimize the models, create more complex hierarchy and so on. It was the official tool used by Stainless to setup their models for C2 after all. They most probably build the models in 3dsMax2, exported as .ASC and imported into PT2.

The only thing you have to do to run PT2, is indeed to lower the color depth to 16bit, it can be done easely via the configuration panel.

@ Lumberjack : I personaly thinks BeMax shouldn't be used anymore, I'll just quote one of my message at CWA to explain :
ASE2ASC supports smoothing groups (even multiple SG per poly), multisubs, special materials, keeps diffuse color informations, has no polycount nor amount of components limit. It also doesn't triangulate the model, and keep the poly mode which, surprisingly, PT2 supports as well. There are yet some other features to ease your work for massive conversions.
Ah ! And it's faster than BeMax.
There's no reason to keep using BeMax nowadays, it has been very useful before the ASE2ASC release but it's history now.

Links :
ASE2ASC : http://cfe.toshiba-3.com/files/tosh/ASE2ASC.rar
Cesm's PT2 : http://cfe.toshiba-3.com/files/tosh/PlayThing2.rar

Both come with my custom icons and splash screen, I can't stand old graphics :grin:
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
Lumberjack
road raged psycho

Post by Lumberjack »

Very nice, cheers for the links, that was the PT2 I was talking about.. and of course I haven't modeled for carma in ages.. I had gotten most of the way through a very nice looking car and then gave up. Maybe I should put it in the unfinished section for someone else to finish..

Check who’s online