Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Map's Fog and draw distance

The greatest unfinished sequel ever!
Tarquin
hit n run

Map's Fog and draw distance

Post by Tarquin »

Is there anyway to remove fog from the game and increase popup draw distance of the map? So I can see much further away.

I know I can remove fog from an in game option but at the start of the next race the fog is back, even though the option is set to off. At this point I have to re-enable the fog, resume game, go back into the options then disable the fog...again. and now when I resume game the fog is gone.

I amd using the glide wrapper thing so can that do any of this stuff?

Tags:
random_monkey
motorized monkey

Re: Map's Fog and draw distance

Post by random_monkey »

If you load up carma2/data/options.txt in notepad and find this:

Yon 35.000000

The 'Yon' is how far you can see into the distance... I remember hearing someone saying it will crash the game if you go too high, which makes sense I suppose... Try setting it to about 60, see how that looks :smile:

(See the other post for the fog problem) :smile:
random_monkey
Tarquin
hit n run

Post by Tarquin »

I've allready found that and sorted out my draw distance :grin:
Thanks anyway,
I did this last night and currently have 80.000000 for Yon, and a 0.50000 for Yon factor which seems to determine how oftern it draws more sections of the map. Originaly it was 1.000000 but since I've greatly increased my view sight, you wont notice any sudden popup as its too far in the distance to make any notice.
Also by taking this down it improoves the games performance as it only draws the distance at half the speed as it did before.
Lumberjack
road raged psycho

Post by Lumberjack »

Nice info
Tarquin
hit n run

Post by Tarquin »

I still can't get ridd of the fog though.
Strange thing is that some people don't have any fog and try to get it enabled. I'm the complete opposite :grin:
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

I had the very same problem, so much fog you can see shit 10 meters in front of you.
Can't remember how I fixed this though... I think it might be related to the glidewrapper settings, but not sure at all~

edit : Oh and also I've read on CWA that you want to get rid of the fog in order to increase the field of view to the max ; I really sugger you forget about that and stick to average 80-100 value for the yon, as max yon may look good with the original cars and tracks of C2 but can clearly kill your comp with some new cars and tracks (General Lee car + the track Hard Truck Apocalypse is a very good example). Though I ofcourse don't know the config of your comp, but it's a general advice :eek:
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
Tarquin
hit n run

Post by Tarquin »

Yeah, I've seen some models with like 16,000 polys - thats more then some maps :supercrazy:

My game does run pretty well now, it only ever drops to 40 FPS when I'm on the starting grid and there are 5+ nasty high poly models in front of me.

I suppose It would run fine if I took off "Try high res" form glide wrapper.
I would have to try it but can I live with 640x400 resolution again?

(My game would run even better if I didn't have to use Glidewrapper and if Carma2 supported SLI and dual core processors, but thats never going to happen :smile: )
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

I was actually thinking about the settings like the shaders.
Also, C2 is directly influenced by your config ! The more powerful your rig is, the better C2 will run. So in example, if you hadn't SLI and a dual-core, C2 would run worse. And don't worry about the resolution, it is not related to the fog problem :eek:
Have you tried renaming OPTIONS.TXT (so that the game creates a new default one) to see if the fog problem is still there ?
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
Tarquin
hit n run

Post by Tarquin »

Well I think I've tried the "most fancy shaders" and of course "Simple shaders" as thats default.

I'll see how "Basic stuff only" and "none" effect the game then.

*edit*

Ahh!!!
Done it,
It had nothing to do with in game options or Glide Wrapper settings.
I noticed that the fog varied between races - that was the clue.

I found out that each race holds its own fog data and so went through them all and removed it :smile:
Also I fixed the sky for some of them imported Carmageddon 1 maps as some didn't have a sky due to either a missing file or just batenly set to "none".

So that's the end of my fog story.
TTR
Psycho Maniac

Post by TTR »

RM, the yon factor can be as great as 1000.000000 and still not crash, trust me both Tosh and i did that with some map we had :grin:

Check who’s online