Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Changing engine sound

The greatest unfinished sequel ever!
Scarathias
pedestrian

Changing engine sound

Post by Scarathias »

I have a simple issue. I've tried to figure this out in the past a bit, haven't managed, now I'm determined. How do I change engine sounds in Carmageddon II? I've looked and looked. What's finally spurned me to post on it: I really want to make a 1978 Suburban sound like a diesel rather than what it does sound like. I've encountered a vehicle or more in the game before this that had no sound, looked a bit in the .txt file, not much else, then stopped caring(These where not vehicles I had alot of gumption to drive much.)

I have been searching the internet for changing car engine sounds(the previous 4 words in fact may be exactly one of the things I typed in with 'Carmageddon 2' tacked in somewhere.). What I tend to find are like: ~sound not working in game, Carmageddon errors, sound files, Carmageddon files for PC~. Unfortunately there's nothing on changing car engine sound(s) in any of tose or anything else I've found. I've also managed open files like '.dat' (As a text document at least.) that was no help. I'm not new to Carmageddon. been playing since High Octane(Which I first played around 1998.). I've all the games on steam, bought Reincarnation while it was in Alpha(The ONLY steam game I purchased myself.).

Anyway If anyone can inform me on how I can alter car engine sounds, Like add or change them, please reply.

I'd appreciate any help on this subject.
Mad_Maxine
Pink

Changing engine sound

Post by Mad_Maxine »

Car sound is determin by the number at the top of the car.txt

5300,5301,5302 // Engine noise (normal, enclosed space, underwater)

wich is a sound listed in sound.txt in Data/sound

// ENGINE NOISE

5300 // Sound ID

0x00,0x01 // Type (0), Flags (0)

ENGINE3.WAV // File name

6000 // Priority

0 // Repeat rate

200,200 // MinVol, MaxVol

0,0 // MinPitch, MaxPitch

0,0 // MinSpeed, MaxSpeed

0x0 // Special FX index

5300, the other numbers dont seem to do antthing, the underwater, and echo ones.

So just add a new sound to sound.txt and use the same number in the car file.

there The biggest anti-diesel person on the site tried to help ya >.>
Scarathias
pedestrian

Changing engine sound

Post by Scarathias »

Thank you, I now know how to change engine sound.

Also yeah I actually came across the post you made about diesels when I typed in something about changing car sound to diesel or something like that.

I tend to be a diesel fan myself. Mainly for trucks. Good low end torque.
Mad_Maxine
Pink

Changing engine sound

Post by Mad_Maxine »

An I like my cars to run smoothly and quietly,

But I am a realisem person, I will add diesel sounds where apropriate, for large pickups and such, What kinda sound do you have if I may ask? I been swaping carma sounds around for years, and have a bunch of sounds from games, modified by myself, and from recordings and all kinds of crap. Theres something strangly satisfying about getting sounds right.

So ya what kinda sound ya have? Can I take a look too? Im allways intrested in using new carma sounds.

Also did ya get it to work? I wrote that while I was half asleep and had no idea what was going on. if you still have problems I can give a more detailed explination to exactly how to do it.
Scarathias
pedestrian

Changing engine sound

Post by Scarathias »

Well as far as sounds, I have whatever sounds the game has by default, plus any possible new ones added with addon vehicles basiclaly(So not really anything spectacular I know of to look at). Oh and as I stated in a previous post "I now know how to change engine sound" (Thanks again.).

BTW do you know of a way to change shift points? I've modified a truck to accelerate realistically. Unfortunately, It shifts at around half the RPM, range, and can lose significant speed on inclines(noticeably more than if it stayed in gears longer winding up the RPM more).

I know that "Number of gears" "Speed at redline in highest gear" and "Acceleration in highest gear" have effects on speed and gearing. but not when shifting occurs. Any idea of a way to maybe raise what RPM shifting happens?

Check who’s online