Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Carma 2 on Win 10?

The greatest unfinished sequel ever!
Hot VVheels
pedestrian

Carma 2 on Win 10?

Post by Hot VVheels »

Howdy all, long time carma fan here, I remember wasting countless hours of my life on C1 and C2 way back when.

I used to play it on an old P166 with MMX and 16mb RAM lol, as you can imagine C2 ran like a sumo wrestler doing the 110m hurdles! But I still loved it even with the insane loading times I used to face on that system.

Fast forward to today and I've just rejoined the ranks of the PC world and have been digging out loads of old classics to play alongside DayZ/Arma 3/Escape from Tarkov/Star Citizen etc. & with a bit of fiddling I've managed to get Settlers 3 & Seven Kingdoms running on Windows 10. However I cannot get Carma 2 to run for the life of me.

I've done some googling but all the advice I've found has been for people with Steam/GOG editions, not original disc copies.

I've got nGlide installed (but it seems on here that is not a preferred option), and when I try running it D3D, DDraw or 3DFX I get the same message telling me "sorry, not supported on windows NT"

I'm running Windows 10 Pro 64 bit, Intel i7 4820K, 16GB DDR3 RAM and a MSi GTX980 4GB.

If someone could point me in the right direction that would be awesome.

Also, if I manage to find my copy of Carma 1 again am I going to have issues with that too? (original non splat pack UK zombie version)

Many thanks in advance for any help =)
Hot VVheels
pedestrian

Carma 2 on Win 10?

Post by Hot VVheels »

scratch that, finally got it working now, after some more searching while downloading some extra cars for when I manage to get it working.

If you have a look through the list of files on the link below, there is a link to download the GOG v3 patch which has fixed it a treat (using nGlide as I already had it installed, but might try and remove it to see how it runs without).

https://rr2000.cwaboard.co.uk/pc-files

Just thought I would back here in case it helps anyone else in the future =)
Hot VVheels
pedestrian

Carma 2 on Win 10?

Post by Hot VVheels »

Sorry for the triple posting, but still having issues now.

So GOG patch has got the game running sweet.

However still has zombies (patch said it would make them peds with blood), but more importantly I'm trying to add some extra cars to it either via carstockalypse or manually.

I've extracted the files to the c2 folder like I used to on my old PC, open up carstockalypse and they are in the list on the left, use the arrows to add them to the in game list on the right and hit OK. When I reopen carstockalypse the cars I just added are no longer in the in game list.

So I tried adding them manually but there is no opponents.txt file anywhere to be seen!?

Any ideas?
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Carma 2 on Win 10?

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Hello, some details:

- the GOG V3 patch doesn't install blood, it's intended FOR the English blood version. I guess that part in the readme is confusing.

- So if you want blood, you have to apply the blood patch first (it's at RR2000 as well).

- nGlide is the recommended option (or dgVoodoo 2 if there's a problem with nGlide). D3D should be avoided, especially if you want to mod the game (that mode resizes all 256*256 textures down to 128*128).

I reply about the opponents.txt problem in the other thread.
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
Hot VVheels
pedestrian

Carma 2 on Win 10?

Post by Hot VVheels »

Thanks yet again for the help with this dude. I've since realised I was misreading the GOG patch readme file and have added blood. Your help in the other thread has got carstockalypse working for me now as well so I can finally enjoy gaming gold again in all it's mod'd glory =)
ViperJay
pedestrian

Carma 2 on Win 10?

Post by ViperJay »

I don't want to make a mess with new topic, so I'm gonna stick around that one.

I've got Steam version of Carpocalypse Now on Windows 10. I've been having problems with the in-game music, which should be playing, but it doesn't. All the sounds and rest of the game run smoothly, but driving without music kills much of the atmosphere.

And now the best part. Years ago I had a pirate copy on XP, Vista and 7, and music was there, running as it should do. I even managed to get it on pirate copy of GOG version on 10, although only after numerous reinstalls. Needless to say, reinstalls, renaming .exe files and fiddling around with S button and settings in-game did not work with Steam version. That makes Carma2 my yet another legit game that works worse than pirate copy. Please, tell me that you've got solution for this problem that isn't WinAmp in background.
San Ganchaoo
pedestrian

Re: Carma 2 on Win 10?

Post by San Ganchaoo »

Hi everyone, One user here trying to play Carmageddon II on steam to remember those old good days, but game is not launching (Win10) Ive read that I should delete Winm and wshock (ive already done it) but still not launching. I have other 3dfx games running with no problems like Carma1 for example, so I dont think its a nglide problem. Any suggestions about what should I try next? I guess Ive should not try the GOG patch for steam version right?
Thanks in advance.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Hello there and welcome,

What is the exact behaviour? Nothing starting at all, a black screen then back to desktop, an error message maybe?

So you ruled out the dll's already. Could you either try moving C2 out of the Program Files (x86) folder in case you've let Steam install it in the default SteamApps folder. Anywhere else should be fine, just out of permission-riddled Program Files.
And/or you can download the Vanilla C2 mini-pack, extract it somewhere like C:\Carma2 (it's a standalone pack, no need to overwrite an existing install). Again remove winmm.dll. Install nGlide globally on your system (if not done already (the one from the Steam release is local) then try to run CARMA2_HW.EXE.
This is to rule out issues related to permissions, path length, release version.

Additionaly you can uninstall nGlide, and try dgVoodoo 2 instead. Might need a bit of configuring before giving CARMA2_HW.EXE another try.
San Ganchaoo
pedestrian

Post by San Ganchaoo »

Toshiba-3 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:55 pm Hello there and welcome,

What is the exact behaviour? Nothing starting at all, a black screen then back to desktop, an error message maybe?

So you ruled out the dll's already. Could you either try moving C2 out of the Program Files (x86) folder in case you've let Steam install it in the default SteamApps folder. Anywhere else should be fine, just out of permission-riddled Program Files.
And/or you can download the Vanilla C2 mini-pack, extract it somewhere like C:\Carma2 (it's a standalone pack, no need to overwrite an existing install). Again remove winmm.dll. Install nGlide globally on your system (if not done already (the one from the Steam release is local) then try to run CARMA2_HW.EXE.
This is to rule out issues related to permissions, path length, release version.

Additionaly you can uninstall nGlide, and try dgVoodoo 2 instead. Might need a bit of configuring before giving CARMA2_HW.EXE another try.
Hi, thanks for answering so quick.

It does absolutely nothing, no black screen no nothing (Havent even appear in task manager) It just try to open, and then closes.

I have not installed steam in Program files path

I have Nglide 2.10 (I think is the last version) installed in my system independent of the steam one.
I can run Carma1(not the steam version because has the same problem) but managed to find another version that works for me under dosbox with no problems in 3dfx and other 3dfx games, so I think nglide should be fine installed.

Vanilla C2 does the same, nothing...

As you can see, it detects nglide correctly... :confused:
Tried directly with carma_HW.exe too, same... :sad:
Tried W98, Wxp compatibility, administrator...same :sad:

dgvodoo2 doing the same :sad:
As you can see it detects it too, but nothing :sad:

Its so frustating :supercrazy:

I hope you will have something in the hat to help me :lol:

Thanks!
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Well sadly no I don't have any further idea at the moment to help you get Glide running, this is definitely an incompatibility of some sort but there's nothing obvious standing out.

I can say this though: forget about carma2.exe, don't use the launcher at all. It introduces bugs (no sound for example).

I imagine you already tried some compatibility settings from the Properties panel? If not, you might give it a try I guess. You could also try temporarily turning off your antivirus in case it was that preventing the game from running, you never know.
I find it odd how you mention Steam C1 not running, even though it's actually all running through DOSBox as well
:confused:

Anyway, what you can try is to run C2 in D3D mode via dgVoodoo2 (don't forget to extract the 4 dlls located in MS\x86 within the zip in the root as well). As the launcher is no good, you'll have to create either a shortcut or a .BAT file with this command line:
CARMA2_HW.EXE -D3D
If it works, you can tweak dgVoodoo2 to change scaling mode etc.

Kinda difficult to debug, as C2 always ran fine on Win10 for me :techsupport:
San Ganchaoo
pedestrian

Post by San Ganchaoo »

Toshiba-3 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 11:57 pm Well sadly no I don't have any further idea at the moment to help you get Glide running, this is definitely an incompatibility of some sort but there's nothing obvious standing out.

I can say this though: forget about carma2.exe, don't use the launcher at all. It introduces bugs (no sound for example).

I imagine you already tried some compatibility settings from the Properties panel? If not, you might give it a try I guess. You could also try temporarily turning off your antivirus in case it was that preventing the game from running, you never know.
I find it odd how you mention Steam C1 not running, even though it's actually all running through DOSBox as well
:confused:

Anyway, what you can try is to run C2 in D3D mode via dgVoodoo2 (don't forget to extract the 4 dlls located in MS\x86 within the zip in the root as well). As the launcher is no good, you'll have to create either a shortcut or a .BAT file with this command line:
CARMA2_HW.EXE -D3D
If it works, you can tweak dgVoodoo2 to change scaling mode etc.

Kinda difficult to debug, as C2 always ran fine on Win10 for me :techsupport:
Oh boy, bad to hear that.
Yea I know about carma.exe, it was only to show you the log about nglide and dgvodoo2 been detected correctly, I always used carma_HW.exe and yes, Ive used all the possible compatibilities options of windows but same.

I have not antivirus program, I only use defender, but even deactivated its the same. Tried the D3D with bat too, same :sad:

Problem with C1 in steam is that dont even open dosxbox (But as I said before) Ive tried downloading a vanilla version of carma and open it with another dosbox I have, and using msdos commands it runs perfectly but with carma2 cant use dosbox :sad:

I think everything is related with my Josticks (I have a direct drive, pedals, shifter, etc...) and maybe they create some kind of incompatibility but in other way it is really strange because Ive been playing older games with no problem like NFS II SE or Toca touring car

This is the only game that is not working because of that and I can understand it will show some compatibility error or once in the game it will not work the controls of some kind of thing like that, but not opening at all?.

Its pretty sad, because is one of the few games that doesnt have any decent port to any console because the playstation port....well...its a mix between C1 and C2...meh

SO sad I wouldnt be able to play again C2 :sad:

Thanks a lot for all your effort to help me, hope in the future I will find a solution. In that case I will share it here. :thumbsup:
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Just a quick thought: did you try unplugging all USB controllers etc. before starting C2?
San Ganchaoo
pedestrian

Post by San Ganchaoo »

Toshiba-3 wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 3:02 pm Just a quick thought: did you try unplugging all USB controllers etc. before starting C2?
I could try it, but I have a lot of stuff connected, because I have a cockpit for sims and take out all the stuff is not easy and maybe later could not work the SIM as is working now (Sims give a lot of problems to get configured well), so I will leave that as a last chance thing in case I have a really need to play Carma 2. At the moment I will play C1 and will see if something appears in the way... :grin: because my intention was to play C2 with wheel and pedals, as I do with the rest of retro games. To play it with keyboard I can try in the laptop, but wouldnt be the same... :lol:
San Ganchaoo
pedestrian

Post by San Ganchaoo »

Just in case it gives any additional info, I post you the crash log.
► Show Spoiler

Check who’s online