Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Carmageddon 2 on Vista

The greatest unfinished sequel ever!
SNDR1384
pedestrian

Carmageddon 2 on Vista

Post by SNDR1384 »

Hi all,

I've been searching this forum far and wide but can't get my copy of Carmageddon 2 to work on my vista machine.
I have the original UK cd Version but i can't get it to work!

- Tried different Patches
- Works in Direct3D (With no sound)
- Tried different glide wrappers
- Installed GOG version 2.xxx but no futher succes

Current error status: Brende error detected. Failure Unable to allocate Main Front Screen

My system:
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E4400 @ 2.00 Ghz
Ram 2039
Windows Vista 32 bit
Intel 8945G Express Chipset Family
Direct X10

Im building a retro pc with reto games and carmageddon is the one I want most!
Who has the answer?

(And now I have found this forum, I'll stick around and see what kind of modding I can do!)
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Re: Carmageddon 2 on Vista

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Hello there,

Yes, that error message means the game can't initialize the rendering.
You mention D3D mode working but without sound. I take it you're using the launcher (carma2.exe)? If so, try the following: create a .BAT file and make it run "CARMA2_HW.EXE -D3D" to run C2 directly into Direct3D mode without using the launcher.

As for glide wrappers, it really is the best way to play the game but I imagine your GFX chipset might not be supported. If you tried the last nGlide, zeckensack's, dgVoodoo 1 & 2, psvoodoo, then D3D is your only option. If you get D3D working properly, there are D3D wrappers (dgVoodoo 2 for example) to tweak things.

BTW, you only need the GOG/Steam releases, or apply the V3 patch on a fresh install. To be sure while testing stuff, I suggest you remove winmm.dll and wsock32.dll.
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
hazardic
motorised death

Re: Carmageddon 2 on Vista

Post by hazardic »

i played it on vista once i had alienware r17r. it works fine for me with wrappers

Check who’s online