Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Carmageddon Demo

When the mayhem started! And its expansion pack made by interns!
Multy-pulty
pedestrian

Carmageddon Demo

Post by Multy-pulty »

Hello, guys :beer: I have had downloaded demo version of Carmageddon by links here, it started fine but no sound unfortunately. I tried to set up Sound Blaster as my hardware and got stuck of the settings program. Any resolves of a situation?
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Re: Carmageddon Demo

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Hello and welcome,

I suppose you specifically want to play one of the demos, right? Otherwise, you'd be better off playing the GOG release of C1.
Are you using DOSBox or playing on an old computer? If DOSBox, it should only be a matter of matching the IRQ etc from the config to the C1 Setup, I think. I can't recall ever having trouble setting up audio ; which demo are you trying to play? (C1 demo, early C1 demo, test drive, SPdemo, Xmas demo, sp zombie demo) I might try to reproduce the problem.
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
Multy-pulty
pedestrian

Post by Multy-pulty »

Exactly right, dude! Demo version and GOG realese to be off; but, dude, I’m playing already! And no sound :sad: :rockon:
I had never been using Dos-box, I think there are should be options that must to be tied with the real hardware too. Is this means would be esier firstly set up Dos-box then connect settings there?
The settings is a Dos-type app “HMI Sound Operating System Setup Utility”, I have to select a sound device there.
This is Demo from Interplay, 1997 year. Title in the Readme “Carmageddon Beta Demo”
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Here's the C1 Interplay demo installed within Dosbox-ECE: https://rr2000.cwaboard.co.uk/R6/C1DEMO-DOSBOX.ZIP
Tested on my end and it had sound (no music ofcourse, despite MIDI device being set up).

Give it a try, just run dosbox.exe. You can also take a look at dosbox.conf with a text editor if you want to tweak some stuff.
Multy-pulty
pedestrian

Post by Multy-pulty »

Differently saying you made options in the Dos-box as if it was an old PC and thus old software-hardware in the Dos-box have ties with that new in modern PC. Why can’t I make this setting without Dos-box?
It is high priority for me to buy an original CD as I wrote and run it without Dos-box. It’s because of aesthetic reason, I think it’s acceptable.
It would be gladly you explain why it doesn’t work, thanks.
As I see I can play with all functions of the game and enjoy :twisted: but only sound. Basically it supports that technical platform I run it, is this means that sound might support it too?
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

I barely understand what you wrote :crazy: hence why I thought you wanted the demo in DOSBox...

If your retro computer can play other games with sound, there is no reason that C1 can't have sound. You have to figure the sound settings of your hardware (device, base, irq, dma, stuff like that) and configure the carma setup.
Not much else I can say without accessing your computer physically :wink:

Check who’s online