Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Carmageddon 2 now available on GOG.com!

The greatest unfinished sequel ever!
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Carmageddon 2 now available on GOG.com!

Post by Toshiba-3 »

You probably heard it already, C2 is now available from Good Old Games:
http://www.gog.com/game/carmageddon_2_carpocalypse_now

They did their usual magic to make it work on new systems, but they also went further and actually hacked the executable to update it. For example, the music is back even though v1.02 didn't playback music anymore. They made a ton of changes I can't figure yet but this is like a patch 15 years later!

We'll have to test multiplayer as well :)

Right now, updated textures from the dev build aren't included yet, but it will be sorted out soon.
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction

Tags:
coffeycup
Genesis

Re: Carmageddon 2 now available on GOG.com!

Post by coffeycup »

Cool, that's interesting that some assets are updated. I already have 3 installs of C2 (in one form or another) what's one more? Won't get to it until next week though.

Re: Multi-Player I see people asking about online servers for C2 MP play on Carma.com forums. C2 was only ever good for LAN, have they actually gone in and fixed it for true online play??
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Post by Harmalarm »

Great news! Can't wait to see what has changed and all. I'm in china at the moment, so buying and testing is a bit tricky here. Can you guys just report some stuff here? Is ot working with nglide? And are there significant changes? Multiplayer improvements?
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

I like this version.
I'm liking the nglide, if that's what's helping the handling of alpha-channel textures. I no longer see the flickering as multiple transparent textures cross in front of each other.

The problems with the ped animations has gone away. I know this didn't happen to everyone but my ped's torso and limbs would get out of synch. The head too would be a foot in front or behind where it should be, especially when they were running. Anyway, they're as they should be now.

I don't think netcode is any different, but I'm no expert. But I know all the newbies are wanting to run a LAN game over the interwebs...I wish it could happen but I'll let Tosh weigh in on that, I don't know enough to even be talking about it.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

I've got confirmation that they didn't touch the netcode, so no improvement at all with that matter. I think nGlide has been updated specifically for this GOG version. To be honest, I doubt that the transparency flickering and out-of-sync ped animation issues are gone for good, but I also didn't pay attention! Would be extremely awesome.

However this version also seems to introduce a new crash. Not sure yet whether it comes from the hacked exe or from the additional tools it comes with.

I'm working right now on the dev build texture pack for the next update. Didn't expect it to be that much work... -__-
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

I sent the updated package, it was a lot of work as it had to be put back into TWT files (and thus generate 8bit and 16bit pixelmaps, then packed as pixies.08/16). Errol quickly made a batchTWaTer to ease my work :)

It's up to GOG and Stainless to validate the changes now.

Here's a comparison pic of the release vs original textures update:
Attachments
release vs original textures comparison
release vs original textures comparison
comparison.png (347.94 KiB) Viewed 4887 times
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

Aaaaaaaah, those loook nice! That'll sharpen up the look and feel of the game.

Hey, if they're doing an update can they set RussellsFannies to 1? I don't know why it was never implemented. Not having the magnets and rooftop fans working in the junkyard levels is a shame. I mean it's just changing a text file not complied code. :P
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Coffeycup: actually those textures were already in the Vanilla C2 pack, these are the original templates shared by Errol (nobby gave him in 1999).
And yes I insisted that they turn RussellsFannies on by default, hope they'll do it.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Sent another update today, for the Eagle 3 this time. I hope it still can make it inside the next version.
I fixed most problems the model always had and also corrected some texture seams:

The updated TWT is attached to this post if anyone's interested :)

Check who’s online