Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Splat Pack car models

When the mayhem started! And its expansion pack made by interns!
KhaosMind
pedestrian

Splat Pack car models

Post by KhaosMind »

New user here so first of all hello everyone.

I was hoping someone could give me advice about extracting cars from Splat Pack.

I've been using flummery and carmagedit tools (big thanks to creators) to export models and textures into blender and managed to get all cars from base game without any major issues. However every attempt to load any car from expansion returns some kind of unexpected exception. Is the file structure any different or I missed something very obvious? I'm using GOG version if it matters.
QTZ
hit n run

Splat Pack car models

Post by QTZ »

Hello!

Carmagedit doesn't support pixelmaps with palettes - some Splat Pack pixelmaps have embedded palettes.

Other thing - do not use Carmagedit for text files, the algorithm used there is valid only for specific version of C1.

To avoid problem with transparency - patch your tools (including Carmagedit) and game palettes with PPP.

Use Meld Pack from Road Reaction as source, since some textures / models are corrected there

(also corrected in Mastro's Special Edition, but with some customizations).

For more info read this topic.

BTW: for GOG/Steam version it's recommended to install 95RPP

(it add Win95 version proper way, fix two crashing cars from Splat Pack and more).
KhaosMind
pedestrian

Splat Pack car models

Post by KhaosMind »

Thanks for the info, this will be very usefull!

However main issue I'm having is how to export car models from splat pack as fbx or other popular format. I already managed to get all cars form base game using flummery but splat pack always returns error. Instaling 95RPP doesn't help and after using Meld Pack can't even load most of the normal cars.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Splat Pack car models

Post by Toshiba-3 »

I don't have the time to test with Flummery at the moment but I suppose that just putting the main ACT DAT MAT files together (not the X,8, BON etc ones though) in a folder with the pixelmaps converted to rgb tiff files in a subfolder "tiffrgb" should do the trick. TRixx can extract pixelmaps with palette embedded in their header), just don't use TRixx directly within your C1 install: copy the PIX pack into a new folder along TRixx.exe and run it. It should extract it all automagically (you might have some renaming to do afterward).

I usually just use 3dsmax + Harm's Carmatools though, with the same setup as described above (ACT DAT MAT in same folder with tiff textures in subfolder).
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
KhaosMind
pedestrian

Splat Pack car models

Post by KhaosMind »

Thanks for reply. Do I have to convert files to tiff using other software because Trixx is giving me bmp by default.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Splat Pack car models

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Yes, use either the bulk processing in Photoshop or softwares like XnView (or wathever you use, really).
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction

Check who’s online