Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Playing with steering wheel?

When the mayhem started! And its expansion pack made by interns!
rinn73
pedestrian

Post by rinn73 »

Hi, thanks to help on the forum, I have the original Carmageddon (bought via GOG) up and running on my PC - many thanks for your help!

I am only able to play so far via my keyboard's numerical keypad etc, as I didn't own any controllers other than a mouse.

I have now bought a Thrustmaster Ferrari 458 Italia wheel, but must be missing something in terms of being able to use it with the game. Hopefully it is possible.

The wheel is installed okay and shows up in Devices and Printers (Windows 7 64 bit). If I click Game Controller Settings and Properties, I can see that turning the wheel left and right affects the crosshair in the box marked X Axis (it stays up at the top of the box, if that's important, but correspondingly moves left and right as I turn the wheel). Pressing the brake and accelerator pedals affect the Z Axis bar, and the buttons seem to be communicating with the relevant 'buttons' part of the properties screen also, so Windows is recognising the wheel and its functions.

In Carmageddon, if I go into Options/Controls/Joystick, when it asks me to 'please move joystick #1 to the top-left and hit any key', it seems to be speaking to the wheel as when I turn that, the number in the 'A NUMBER FOR YOU TO LOOK AT' field at the top of the screen which was flickering around 600-700 goes down as low as 22 when the wheel is turned hard left, or high as 1500 or so when turned hard right. I would assume I would be expecting the pedals to affect the 'ANOTHER NUMBER FOR YOU TO LOOK AT' field below that, but that just stays around the same number whatever I do. I tried turning the wheel left and pressing the accelerator pedal and going through the calibration for Joystick #1 (and did the same for Joystick #2 just in case), but when I start the game, the wheel doesn't do anything to the car, acceleration or turning wheels-wise.

A friend had suggested trying Pinnacle Game Profiler, which I've installed, but am getting nowhere with it so far and finding it quite frustrating. It looks quite complicated and versatile, but a bit impenetrable to me at this stage. I thought I'd ask on here first before trying the Pinnacle support route, in case anyone else had already gone through trying to get a modern wheel to speak to Carmageddon.

Any ideas?
Gunsmith
driver

Post by Gunsmith »

the original carma doesn't support wheels as It was originally made for DOS.
legomeaker101
hit n run

Post by legomeaker101 »

Here, it's a bit complicated but it is a solution:
https://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Mapper
rinn73
pedestrian

Post by rinn73 »

Thanks for your replies. Gunsmith - definitely used to play Carmageddon with a Thrustmaster wheel when it was originally out, albeit it wouldn't have been USB in those days. Legomeaker - I'll have a read up on that, thanks. Reading a bit more on using Dosbox with wheels now as hadn't thought of googling that, and can see a few people have had similar troubles. Is this something you've done with success yourself?

Cheers,

Richard.
legomeaker101
hit n run

Post by legomeaker101 »

I have a dual shock 4 (PS4 controller) so I canged the triggers to accelerate and reverse its a very straightforward process
CzechDeath
kill boss

Post by CzechDeath »

... no
rinn73
pedestrian

Post by rinn73 »

Finally got a chance to look at the DOSBOX mapper. However, I 'think' there's an issue due to the steering wheel plugging into the USB port, where DOSBOX doesn't recognise the incoming singals from it? I tried mapping a key to 'anything' on the steering wheel (well, I didn't try any of the buttons, but tried turning the wheel and pressing one of the pedals), but nothing was happening in Mapper. Any ideas?
legomeaker101
hit n run

Post by legomeaker101 »

I sent you a personal message
QTZ
hit n run

Post by QTZ »

I think using DOSBox key mapper is not a good solution, especially because changing keys mess them and it doesn't support Win95 version.

If you want to configure keys use CKB.

For wheel (not tested by me) try external tool such as Xpadder or other buttons to keys software.

C1/SP by default support analog joystick with max 4 buttons, so for analog control set direction to joystick, but buttons map with additional software.

Check who’s online