Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

3dfx in Carmageddon (splatpack) ?

When the mayhem started! And its expansion pack made by interns!
MajoraJuno
pedestrian

Post by MajoraJuno »

So i've recently rebought Carmageddon and splatpack (original cd's), but whatever i try i don't get 3dfx to work, even normal mode is glitchy like you have picked up drugs.

Could you help getting 3dfx mode to work? i have the 3dfx patches on the Splatpack cd,but don't know how it works.

i'm playing on a windows 7 computer with 32-bit

maybe install a different version of windows? the only games i want to play are Carmageddon+Splatpack and roller coaster tycoon

also i'm trying to upload a picture here but don't know how

Thanks in advance
lemonrev
road raged psycho

Post by lemonrev »

Major Juno

Please look at web for 3dfx on new cards and how to run in classic games or old games as its termed as well on the net. I think you now have to run nglide old driver and play around with verious other older programs to get that 3dfx to work, The fact that you can actually get it that far to run with out dosbox then your doing well. goto GOG.com and buy the game there if you don't already have it. Those will have options to allow you to play with 3dfx in carmageddon.

However that Roller Tycoon i think its at GOG as well Good luck anyways.
MajoraJuno
pedestrian

Post by MajoraJuno »

lemonrev wrote:Major Juno

Please look at web for 3dfx on new cards and how to run in classic games or old games as its termed as well on the net. I think you now have to run nglide old driver and play around with verious other older programs to get that 3dfx to work, The fact that you can actually get it that far to run with out dosbox then your doing well. goto GOG.com and buy the game there if you don't already have it. Those will have options to allow you to play with 3dfx in carmageddon.

However that Roller Tycoon i think its at GOG as well Good luck anyways.

Thanks for your reply Lemonrev, i have the GOG version And the original CD's, the original CARM95 workes for both Carmageddon as Splatpack

but the colours are buggy,it plays normal full speed though. i have tryed about 5 versions of dosbox

i get errors like:

CONFIG:Loading primary settings from config file dosbox-carma.config ( Unable to initialize DirectX9!) while i have directx9

ofcourse some time can't find KEYBOARD COK

Glide:grSstWinOpen failed!

also: low memory invoked (in dos box)

i'll try later on with more programs.. maybe some more advice?

For Roller coaster tycoon i also have the original CD,that does work
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Yeah you need nGlide or dgVoodoo and specific versions of DOSBox (like gulikoza's) to run in 3dfx mode. You can also simply try Carma95 with hires mode. With the GOG version, don't forget to use QTZ' 95RPP. You can also check the Carmageddon infographic: https://rr2000.cwaboard.co.uk/infographic/infographic-01.jpg
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
lemonrev
road raged psycho

Post by lemonrev »

i do not know what you can do about the config file not loading properly but you can always try and report it back to gog.com version btw gog versions do have a start menu dosbox config program you can use with a UI but take toshiba-3's thoughts and good luck :).
QTZ
hit n run

Post by QTZ »

Everything and more is in 95RPP linked above by Toshiba-3 :)

But here some details/explanations:

MajoraJuno wrote:the original CARM95 workes for both Carmageddon as Splatpack

but the colours are buggy,it plays normal full speed though.

For 95 version use Hifi's ddraw wrapper (or other) or color fix. Both are shipped with 95RPP. If you want play on full screen only - try colorfix - disable ddraw wrapper and enable colorfix, if palette will be still broken install 95RPP again (just leave ddraw wrapper option enabled and disable color fix [disabling colorfix is not obligatory]).

MajoraJuno wrote:i have tryed about 5 versions of dosbox

i get errors like:

CONFIG:Loading primary settings from config file dosbox-carma.config ( Unable to initialize DirectX9!) while i have directx9

ofcourse some time can't find KEYBOARD COK

Glide:grSstWinOpen failed!

also: low memory invoked (in dos box)

It indicate that you have wrong config settings or trying to use just one of them (GOG version starting with two configs, but there is a link to launch it correctly), also it must be launched from proper folder.

I have the error about Direct X when trying DirectXWindower for 95 version, really don't know what that mean... It may be related to wrapper present in system....

Note: That 95RPP replace DOSBox.exe with launcher, when real DOSBox is renamed to BoxDOS.exe, so if you want to try with another DOSBox version you need to keep DOSBox.exe (launcher) as is, but replace BoxDOS.exe with new one (renamed). But I think this will be not necessary.

BTW. I have just found old, but interesting thing on MS download center which allow to play C1 / C2 with network and music even when normally wrappers crashing :) (in 95RPP CD Audio / TCP/IP wrappers for Win 95 version are disabled by default and available as options due to possible crash on modern Windows).

Edit: If I will find some time I will try to run 3Dfx version with separately available DOSBox 3Dfx builds (currently done quick test without luck).

Check who’s online