Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Carmageddon 3dfx running slow in Windows 8.1

When the mayhem started! And its expansion pack made by interns!
Tebbitbreath
pedestrian

Post by Tebbitbreath »

Hello, I got the Carmageddon Max Pack version from GOG, and when I try to run the 3dfx mode, the game goes very slow. I even tried the Experimental Patch and the game ran more stable but it's still slow. I've looked into the forums for possible solutions but I didn't find anything that has worked so far. :( Any solutions for this?

Thanks! :)

Edit: Fixed it by opening the game with Carm95.exe (C:\GOG Games\Carmageddon\CARMA\Carm95.exe) instead of the Dosbox shortcut.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

You can also edit dosboxCARMA_single.conf in notepad and replacing the line that says:
3dfx.exe

with
voodo2c.exe -vrush

Then try the 3DFX mode again, it might run a little better. Other options are to update nGlide, or replace it with another glide wrapper like dgVoodoo.

But IMO playing with Carma95 is best :)
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
Tebbitbreath
pedestrian

Post by Tebbitbreath »

Thank you for the response, I'll try those steps. Thanks Toshiba. :)
Breakin'Benny
speed freak

Post by Breakin'Benny »

Toshiba-3 wrote:You can also edit dosboxCARMA_single.conf in notepad and replacing the line that says:
3dfx.exe

with
voodo2c.exe -vrush

Then try the 3DFX mode again, it might run a little better. Other options are to update nGlide, or replace it with another glide wrapper like dgVoodoo.

Tebbitbreath wrote:Thank you for the response, I'll try those steps. Thanks Toshiba. :)

Better not forget to enable "hardware mode", or more precisely "high-res SVGA" mode to improve the look whilst also making use of the cnc-ddraw mod
jimmy1333
mechanic

Post by jimmy1333 »

Toshiba-3 wrote:You can also edit dosboxCARMA_single.conf in notepad and replacing the line that says:
3dfx.exe

with
voodo2c.exe -vrush

Hey, I was wondering, is there any thing similar to Carma95.exe on the Steam release? I can only play with 3dfx and it lags horribly (I also prefer Carma95.exe from the gog version but for simplicity's sake i got it on Steam) Are steam users doomed D:
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

The Carma95 patch was said to be coming for the Steam release too but I doubt it'll ever be..?

You could copy the whole GOG version (with the win95 patch applied) and replace the Steam one (Steam one is actually the GOG one but then without Carma95). I guess it's somehow possible to redirect the Steam link to CARM95.EXE rather than to dosbox.exe? I never tried.
jimmy1333
mechanic

Post by jimmy1333 »

Toshiba-3 wrote:The Carma95 patch was said to be coming for the Steam release too but I doubt it'll ever be..?

You could copy the whole GOG version (with the win95 patch applied) and replace the Steam one (Steam one is actually the GOG one but then without Carma95). I guess it's somehow possible to redirect the Steam link to CARM95.EXE rather than to dosbox.exe? I never tried.
Hey, you are right I'm gonna try that. What if I redirected it by naming Carm95.exe to dosbox.exe and viceversa?? I can't now but I'm gonna try this later and report back!
jimmy1333
mechanic

Post by jimmy1333 »

Okay I did try it. I overwrote the Steam installation with GOG's (and the Win95 patch). However when I try to load a game via carma95.exe I get a "Please insert Carmageddon CD" (lol!) So I guess it doesnt work. Is there a way to emulate how the win95 patch performs & looks with Dosbox? I wish we could ask nobby or the community manager about the win95 patch :(
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Aah right should have thought about that :P

Well you can first try to download the Meld Pack and replace the CARM95 executable from your Steam folder with the one from the pack (maybe also DATA\PATHS.TXT).

Or, to reply to your question, you can simply launch Carmageddon via Steam and choose the second option in dosbox and it will run C1 in the same res and mode as Carm95 (but within dosbox thus). Then you just alt-enter out of fullscreen mode or edit dosboxCarma.conf so:
fullscreen=false
jimmy1333
mechanic

Post by jimmy1333 »

Yeah, I did the second thing you mentioned. However the res is a lot lower then Carma95 -hires. I think I'm sticking to this one though (dosbox second option in low res). I'm gonna try using dgVoodoo 2 with C1 and report back on how it works!
jimmy1333
mechanic

Post by jimmy1333 »

Okay I tried both dgVoodoo 2.32 (got it off your site) and 2.41 and neither worked apparently. When I launch the game nothing happens, maybe I have to modify dosboxCARMA or dosboxCARMA_single? (Steam says I'm playing it, however) some file is created and then disappears when the process dies. I extracted the contents to the DOSBOX folder.

Btw I tried the GOG installation (placing it on the steam directory +win95 patch +meld from your site but It still asks me to insert the CD and crashes shortly after so that's a no-go I guess)
jimmy1333
mechanic

Post by jimmy1333 »

EDIT: I asked my friend to ask Max_damage on twitter about the patch and this is what they replied: "It's still something we're looking at and hope to release in the future." I guess we'll just have to wait then
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Jimmy, you should really insist on getting that software DOS executable working in hires mode, it is the thing you're after IMO.

Does forcing the windowed mode work so far?

If "VOODO2C.EXE -novoodoo -hires" didn't work, then try replacing that line with "CARMA.EXE -hires", there's no reason for hires not to work within dosbox! :)
jimmy1333
mechanic

Post by jimmy1333 »

First method worked but I just get a tiny window (I tried changing the res values in dosboxCARMA but it remains the same for some reason. Second method asked me for a password for the uncut version, after pressing enter I got into the game (zombie mode ver) and it crashed when starting a race :(
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Jimy, I don't understand why it doesn't work! I tried again on a fresh install here:
jimmy1333
mechanic

Post by jimmy1333 »

Hey, thanks for your reply. I tried it (I was inputting incorrect values xD) and I got it to run but the framerate is abysmal ~25 which is unplayable in a game like Carma ;( . Anyhow thank you, I'll stick to the GOG Version which works flawlessly and I'll wait for the Win95 patch if it's even ever coming to Steam lol. I was just wondering if it was possible to simulate win95-hires in DOS, just for the sake of Simplicity (as I got it for free when buying C:R). Sorry for all the trouble and thank you for your help.
LegendXDPlayz
pedestrian

Post by LegendXDPlayz »

Now how do I get to the CARMA95.exe?

I only get to go to DOSBOX and choose either Carmageddon 1 3DFX or Normal cause both at run very slow mostly, seems like only Carma 2 runs at a normal framerate. Thanks
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

You can get it here https://qtz.cwaboard.co.uk/uMaxPack95RPP.zip

It works with both Steam and GOG releases.
CzechDeath
kill boss

Post by CzechDeath »

time to let go already =D
LuckyMike
hit n run

Post by LuckyMike »

How could you stay on this system? 8-0

Check who’s online