Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Abit of Screen flickering

When the mayhem started! And its expansion pack made by interns!
The Unbreakable Kavinsky
driver

Post by The Unbreakable Kavinsky »

I just installed and started playing Carma 1 in light of the new sale, at 40% off for reincarnation, as the other three come as gifts then. and I'm getting abit of ingame flicker, between the game and desktop

any idea what is causing this, do I need to change the resolution ingame, and I have it set to 3D carma FYI, or 3DFX when the dos box choice pops up.

or should I just choose the other option?

also the mouse cursor is MIA, so I'm having to choose things based off of the directional keys.
The Unbreakable Kavinsky
driver

Post by The Unbreakable Kavinsky »

Okay I found out what was causing the screen flickering, in the good old games release of the game it automatically switches the computer back to windows 7 basic in the personalization section. and a notifcation that the dos box did that comes up and disturbs the game.

along with having steam open in the background, and the ingame overlay probably causes it to flicker as well.

so what I did was I made a saved version of basic and normal windows 7 fonts in personalization to switch to before starting the game, toggled off the steam overlay in the properies

and if you double click on carmageddon in steam, it comes up with its own menu that allows you to choose what version you want to play, and you can easily click off steam so its only running in the task bar, and not on the desk top to start the game

and that stops the annoying screen flickering

however the mouse hand is still missing in the 3DFX version, and something about the inside cockpit view slows the game down when you switch to that view, probably the rear view mirror, of which I'll shut off the next time I run the game and see if it improves it.

and also the music seems to be at a set volume level, and you cant properly adjust it or turn it off, or atleast I havent figured out how to do it in the settings and sound menu.

as you can turn down everything else, just not the sound from what I've found, so I guess its a good thing that I like the original soundtrack then lol

but its better than what it was, and I guess good old games didnt test the game with the steam overlay for the release, and I must wonder if this works with carmageddon 2

as apparently the game crashes when you exit out of it, something that humorlessly also tied in with valves own TF2 for the longest time, as they had the same bloody problem with their game too, until it was fixed about maybe half a year ago or so.

and I hope this helps anyone else with the same issues I had, as carma 1 is worth experiencing again and again, regardless of what generation the world is on.

still havent gotten the bloody countslash yet though -_- lol

Check who’s online