Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Key Binding

When the mayhem started! And its expansion pack made by interns!
renrie
driver

Key Binding

Post by renrie »

Hey everyone,

Got a question/idea (perhaps for modding or developement), Does anyone know how to (re)bind the acceleration, brake and turning keys to the arrow keys instead of the numpad keys (or swap them with the camera keys)?

I think I remember there is an option to use the 'A' and 'Z' button for forward and reverse (but still with the use of the numpad keys to turn), but I can't find an option to use other keys.

Thank you in advance.
ManIkWeet
mechanic

Key Binding

Post by ManIkWeet »

If you use the DOSBOX version you can remap your keys in DOSBOX, otherwise I am afraid you're out of luck...

You could have a program press the ingame keys when you press the arrow keys, but that would probably also move the camera...
renrie
driver

Key Binding

Post by renrie »

Hey ManIkWeet,

Thank you for your fast repy (and sorry for my late one ;P), could you please tell me how to (or where I can find a tutorial), as I only have experience with virtual achines featuring windows(In other words, I only know a bunch of basic DOS comands).

Or is there a "DOSBOX" options menu?

(PM @ ManIkWeet: zo te zien wel ;P)<-Dutch (srry D:)
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Key Binding

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Renrie: changing the key bidings from the main menu > options > controls panel isn't what you're looking for?
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
renrie
driver

Key Binding

Post by renrie »

Hey Toshiba-3, yeah that's what I mean, but the problem is, that I can't bind the keys (the game won't let me).

'ASDW' can't be used (probably because S is used for soundmute) and none of the arrow keys can't be selected.

Spoiler:

Besides the manual input there are 3 presets, one of those uses the 'A'(forward) and 'ALT'(reverse) key, but with this preset, reverse can't be bounded to 'Z'

I will look for the controls file and see if I can edit it trough that (just came up to me XD).

Just checked, and there are some keymap files in the DATA folder, but they don't make any sence (they only show a row of numbers) besides the keymap files there is a KEYNAMES file, would it be exepedient to edit this file (i.e. add "arrowkeyup",etc.)

Thanks for your help in advance ;)
ManIkWeet
mechanic

Key Binding

Post by ManIkWeet »

IF you're using the DOSBOX version (you never answered), you can press ctrl+f1 click the arrow key, click delete, click add and press according ingame control :)

Edit:

Either you manually start DOSBOX in the folder of Carmageddon, or you press the keys when you're at the graphics selection screen...
renrie
driver

Key Binding

Post by renrie »

QManIkWeet, thanks for you answer, will try it out. :)

PS: sorry for not mentioning the way I run the game.

Check who’s online