Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Joystick very jittery on Steam version?

When the mayhem started! And its expansion pack made by interns!
ManIkWeet
mechanic

Post by ManIkWeet »

Hey there Carmafans,

I have been wrestling with getting my xbox controller working on the 3dfx version of Carmageddon, it works but it's really jittery and sensitive.

I used a custom driver (XBCD) so I could map my triggers to the stick y-axis; this works perfectly inside Carmageddon (or unnoticeable jitter, it's throttle after all)

However, the x-axis of my thumbstick does not: the "numbers to look at" at the joystick setup screen never stop changing...

When I have set the controls, and I go into a race, the camera really shakes, and when I press my thumbstick slightly left/right: the wheels instantly turn resulting in uncontrollable spinning.

Anyone know how to set it up properly in DOSBOX?

I found some Joytest program and when I run that in DOSBOX the numbers (although much lower values) don't jitter.
ManIkWeet
mechanic

Post by ManIkWeet »

Okay so I noticed some things:

There's a difference in the numbers between Hardware/Software mode.

From what I could find in the DOSBOX source code, the numbers of the analog axi are 1-254... which is what all the test programs report too.

Carmageddon ranges from 24-2000... how does it obtain these numbers? How does it go around the DOSBOX limits?
D-X3M
pedestrian

Post by D-X3M »

Hi there, I just want you to know I've been aware of this problem for over years trying to emulate carmageddon the best I could

wether you are using keyboard or any other input device, the controls are jittery,

I remember using the old DIN connecterkeyboard and MIDIgamepads when the game was released for dos years ago.

The issue did obviously not excist back then.

I have never been able to really fix the problem.

But with this steam release and reincarnation going on, there is lot's more intrest in playing this game, and i've seen some carma95 workovers.

I'll check into those and see what's useful.

Check who’s online