Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Getting Carmageddon 1 Running on Windows 7 64-bit

When the mayhem started! And its expansion pack made by interns!
Hellicopters
pedestrian

Post by Hellicopters »

The game: DOWNLOAD[/b] or MIRROR (got it from Lenor's post: http://www.carmageddon.com/forum/topic/361, don't want to steal credits here)

http://hifi.iki.fi/cnc-ddraw/#download... Easy as pie.

All you gotta do is download the .dll and place it in your game folder. Remember not to run the game with the "windows 95 compatibility", 'cause it's gonna ask you for a CD.

You can all thank me later. Regards!!! I hope it works for you too!!!
Hellicopters
pedestrian

Post by Hellicopters »

Hellicopters wrote:The game: DOWNLOAD[/b] or MIRROR (got it from Lenor's post: http://www.carmageddon.com/forum/topic/361, don't want to steal credits here)

http://hifi.iki.fi/cnc-ddraw/#download... Easy as pie.

All you gotta do is download the .dll and place it in your game folder. Remember not to run the game with the "windows 95 compatibility", 'cause it's gonna ask you for a CD.

You can all thank me later. Regards!!! I hope it works for you too!!!

By the way, use this in case you couldn't get Lenor's post's fix to run. I recommend using the "run in 640x480 resolution" setting if you want to play it in fullscreen mode.
Hellicopters
pedestrian

Post by Hellicopters »

And I almost forgot. In the main folder of the game (where ddraw.dll is located), look for ddraw.ini.

There, use the following settings:

[ddraw]

; width and height of the window, defaults to the size game requests

width=1920 (use your native resolution width here)

height=1080 (use your native resolution height here)

; bits per pixel, possible values: 16, 24 and 32, 0 = auto

bpp=32

windowed=false

; show window borders in windowed mode

border=true

; use letter- or windowboxing to make a best fit (GDI only!)

boxing=true

; real rendering rate, -1 = screen rate, 0 = unlimited, n = cap

maxfps=0

; vertical synchronization, enable if you get tearing (OpenGL only)

vsync=false

; scaling filter, nearest = sharp, linear = smooth (OpenGL only)

filter=linear

; automatic mouse sensitivity scaling

adjmouse=false

; manual sensitivity scaling, 0 = disabled, 0.5 = half, 1.0 = normal

sensitivity=0.0

; enable C&C/RA mouse hack

mhack=false

; enable C&C video resize hack, auto = auto-detect game, true = forced, false = disabled (OpenGL only)

vhack=false

; switch between OpenGL (opengl) and software (gdi) renderers, latter supports less features but might be faster depending on the GPU

renderer=opengl

; force CPU0 affinity, avoids crashes with RA, *might* have a performance impact

singlecpu=true

DO NOT COPY AND PASTE, just change the values as it goes in the description... This will make Carma running in optimal conditions (screen fits perfectly, textures looks good, etc.).

And, remember to add the following command line in the Carma95 shortcut: -hires. That will get your Carmageddon to run in high resolution mode.
Ar sparfell
pedestrian

Post by Ar sparfell »

Hi Hellicopters!

Thanks for letting use play carma 1 again!

Everything went good until this ddaw.ini thing. I can start the game in a really small window, but afterwards I can't find this ddaw.ini file in the folder... Can you help me please??
Jalaine
pedestrian

Post by Jalaine »

Thanks for sharing this. One thing that bothers me is that the time passes extra fast and you barely have any time to do anything in the hardest mode. Is there any way to change that or am I the only one having that problem?
Espyo
road raged psycho

Post by Espyo »

Jalaine wrote:Thanks for sharing this. One thing that bothers me is that the time passes extra fast and you barely have any time to do anything in the hardest mode. Is there any way to change that or am I the only one having that problem?

It's a known issue. Check this article out: https://wiki.cwaboard.co.uk/wiki/Glitch:Sped_up_timer
I'm Espyo from the Carmageddon Wiki!
I'm currently working on a Pikmin fan engine.
Too-DAMN-Much
speed freak

Post by Too-DAMN-Much »

Espyo wrote:
Jalaine wrote:Thanks for sharing this. One thing that bothers me is that the time passes extra fast and you barely have any time to do anything in the hardest mode. Is there any way to change that or am I the only one having that problem?

It's a known issue. Check this article out: https://wiki.cwaboard.co.uk/wiki/Glitch:Sped_up_timer

yep, that's what dosbox is for, try playing one of the ancient syndicate games without dosbox, it's possible to get syndicate wars to work under win 7 i believe but everything will run at plaid speed.
Wicked Kerfluffle
pedestrian

Post by Wicked Kerfluffle »

Awesome, got it running in about 5 minutes! Thanks for the info!
Ar sparfell
pedestrian

Post by Ar sparfell »

Please, can anyone send me his or her ddaw.ini folder?? I have run the game several times, but no ddawn.ini was created after first run as expected... Send me a private message so I can give you the email adress. Thank you very much!!
Hellicopters
pedestrian

Post by Hellicopters »

DDraw issue is fixed by downloading DgVoodoo or some program like that. Hence too much time passed since I posted this, and therefore, since I last played the game, I can't seem to remember how to install the program and so. But it's some kind of Voodoo simulator.

I'm REALLY sorry for the pathetically late response. If this didn't help you, let me know. I hope I don't forget to check this forum. Procrastination is killing my own memory.
sonyelmars
pedestrian

Post by sonyelmars »

I cannot continued playing this game, because of this toolbox appear "Can't find pedestrian pixelmap 'RIDSHK.PIX'"

Anyone help me please?

Thank you!
Espyo
road raged psycho

Post by Espyo »

That would be a message box, not a textbox hehe. But yeah, as the error states, one of the pedestrian images is missing. Did you add a ped mod to the game? If so, try reinstalling the mod. If not, try reinstalling the game. If it still keeps happening, I'm sure one of the members of the community can send you their copy of the file.
I'm Espyo from the Carmageddon Wiki!
I'm currently working on a Pikmin fan engine.
Tilki
pedestrian

Post by Tilki »

Hi,

For those who have "Can't find pedestrian pixelmap 'RIDSHK.PIX" error (like me and "sonyelmars") try this http://speedy.sh/BHh2x/RID-FIX.zip

I renamed some frames and it works for me.

Tilki
ClintonHammond
pedestrian

Post by ClintonHammond »

While I wait for the new game to land, I've been revisiting an old friend....

But what was the fix for "Can't find pedestrian pixelmap 'RIDSHK.PIX"

Tilki's file in the preceding post is no more

Any help?

Cheers!
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Just download the latest Meld Pack: https://rr2000.cwaboard.co.uk/carmageddon-1#mods

That problem was fixed ;)
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction
ClintonHammond
pedestrian

Post by ClintonHammond »

Is there a way to transfer my saved game???? Or do I have to start again from scratch?

Thanks for the 411 Toshiba-3

Cheers
ClintonHammond
pedestrian

Post by ClintonHammond »

All it does is crash.....

And it runs in a small window in the centre of my desktop....

What am I missing?
starbuck
kill boss

Post by starbuck »

sonyelmars wrote:I cannot continued playing this game, because of this toolbox appear "Can't find pedestrian pixelmap 'RIDSHK.PIX'"

Anyone help me please?

Thank you!
Sorry fixed.
CzechDeath
kill boss

Post by CzechDeath »

sonyelmars wrote:I cannot continued playing this game, because of this toolbox appear "Can't find pedestrian pixelmap 'RIDSHK.PIX'"

Anyone help me please?

Thank you!
Dont play torrented games =D
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

ClintonHammond: What is the crash, when does it occur? Tell more or I can't help. Yes you should be able to transfer savegames. You can run the MeldPack in full screen by editing DDRAW.INI (windowed=false).

Starbuck: you linked to an older version of the Meld Pack.

CzechDeath: That error is specific to the previous Meld Pack version.
starbuck
kill boss

Post by starbuck »

Toshiba-3 wrote:ClintonHammond: What is the crash, when does it occur? Tell more or I can't help. Yes you should be able to transfer savegames. You can run the MeldPack in full screen by editing DDRAW.INI (windowed=false).

Starbuck: you linked to an older version of the Meld Pack.

CzechDeath: That error is specific to the previous Meld Pack version.

fixed it.

You know you also wont get that error if for example you download the GOG or Steam version of the game, but you may have to delete the "winsock" file.
TwIsTeDMiNd
speed freak

Post by TwIsTeDMiNd »

Is there any way to play the first two Carmageddon games in 16:9 format or force them to display in 4:3?
starbuck
kill boss

Post by starbuck »

Twisted . Give me a day or two to catch up on stuff if no one answers you.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Twisted: C1 and C2 can be played in 4:3 if you play them in Glide mode with nGlide (both Steam and GOG versions ship with nGlide). You just have to configure nGlide to keep original aspect ratio instead of stretching across the screen.

C1 can be played in non-stretched 16:9 in software mode if you use the widescreen patch. If you use Steam/GOG's versions, then applying QTZ' 95RPP will allow you to install the widescreen patch among other settings. Else you can find the patched executables in this archive. Do read the included readme.

If you're using the Meld Pack, you can also simply stay in windowed mode and just double the window resolution (to 1280x960). That's what I do to keep the gritty look while getting the game to take more space onscreen.
starbuck
kill boss

Post by starbuck »

Pretty much what Tosh said, I just had to check it out. There is also a patch that lets you run it in higher resolutions.

https://wiki.cwaboard.co.uk/wiki/High_Resolution_Mod

Just havent tested it recently yet.
TwIsTeDMiNd
speed freak

Post by TwIsTeDMiNd »

Thanks guys for response, I will take a look into these various workarounds. Appreciated.

Edit: no matter which settings I modify in nglide (aspect ratio, resolution, etc.), the settings won't apply when launching the game in 3dfx mode.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

You have to tell more: C1 or C2? Steam or GOG? If C1, did you try reinstalling nGlide as explained in this thread: https://www.gog.com/forum/carmageddon_series/carmageddon_hq_how_to/page1

@starbuck: That's Razor's texture pack for C2.
TwIsTeDMiNd
speed freak

Post by TwIsTeDMiNd »

I'm trying to play Carm95.exe in software mode with 16:9 resolution but apparently, neither of the two solutions you posted worked for me. The modified 1920x1080 exe only display 1/4 of the screen at the top left corner and if I install the HD patch in the package installer I get the exact same result.
starbuck
kill boss

Post by starbuck »

Thought you found it. Give me a few days.

In the meantime use the Nglide config utility in the actual game folder.

So far I used the one in the C2 directory but got some kind of error about car resolutions when I changed the first setting.

Oh and doing what you did in "software mode" is most likely the problem. I think software mode is only 640 x 480 (ONLY) (or was it 320 x 240 ?). I dont think software mode does any glide calls.

PS I had this link on my DVDs :)

https://rr2000.cwaboard.co.uk/blog/?post/Carmageddon1-on-Vista

http://hifi.iki.fi/cnc-ddraw/
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

Twisted: It's normal. The menus aren't stretched. Just start a race and you'll see it will be fullscreen... Cockpits and maps aren't stretched either, this is an experimental patch really. Just make sure to do as the HALP.TXT says: duplicate DATA\64X48X8 into DATA\1920X1080X8 and put the files from the respective folder in archive into it to have a more comfortable HUD.
TwIsTeDMiNd
speed freak

Post by TwIsTeDMiNd »

I get the error message ''Can't open car resolution-dependant file'' if I don't overwrite the 1920x1080 files located in data folder and anyway, I get noticeable fps drops with the widescreen patch so the best way I ended up with is to simply change my monitor aspect ratio. This, along with the carma95 windows version works like a charm and no hassle to deal with.
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Post by Toshiba-3 »

You must have done something wrong with the folders as it's pretty straightforward. Anyway you shouldn't really have to change your monitor's aspect ratio as editing DDRAW.INI lets you control how the game's rendered. Here's how I play:
images/imgur-bckp/uyJI3FM.jpg

If you found a good way to play for you that's all that matters.
sonofham
driver

Re: Getting Carmageddon 1 Running on Windows 7 64-bit

Post by sonofham »

Installed the dos version of C1(zombie version) and it runs without the need for the cd in dosbox but my stupid laptop is missing the keypad which sucks as they sure know how prevent you from using older apps,etc.. but trying to install the splat pack is useless as the installer freezes at the select directory menu and I don't want to do the meld option.

Uses Win 7 Pro 64-bit.[edit]Seems the dos version of the game can run as it has the location of the install folder and is using it to see it as the game "cd".Is there a crack that can fix the no cd check but still plays the videos\cut scenes as I love watching them.

Just be able to reinstall the game and have some fun despite not being able to configure alternate keys to drive properly.Is there a way I could get the normal version game sprites so I can replace the zombies with the normal ones? I know I was able to get one of the blood patches from the splat pack to work but thought why not try the actual sprites from normal\blood version?

Also has any one made the maps\races available as .obj files plus the textures and sounds including the map and menu ui for the race as I would like to port one of the Mayan location races from the Splat Pack over to the UnWheel mod for UT2k4(I know how to do the port).Maybe port one or another of the races from either the main game or splatpack seeing how the Mayan race\track goes.

Thanks.

[MODERATION: Subject about OBJ assets split into a new topic: viewtopic.php?t=19678]
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Re: Getting Carmageddon 1 Running on Windows 7 64-bit

Post by Toshiba-3 »

I had to reread your post several times to get what you were asking. I must ask though, why don't you simply install the GOG rerelease? You'd get the DOS versions of C1 and SP installed without any hurdles.
Installing them manually from the original CDs via DOSBox is tedious really.

If you want to configure alternate keymaps (and if the ingame config doesn't do the job), have a go at Carma Key Binder: viewtopic.php?t=9474

Blood patches for C1 are still available from here: https://rr2000.cwaboard.co.uk/pc-files (but again, getting the GOG release would be easier IMO)

As for an assets pack, IIRC there are packs floating around for the C1 and C2 cars, but not for the levels. Or menus etc.
TBH these assets aren't too difficult to grab. Sounds are just WAV files, menus are FLI files (can be opened with Carmagedit or Aseprite) and BRender PIX files (use TRIXX or Carmagedit), same for the textures. Levels are more annoying as you need 3DSMAX and Harm's CarmaTools and often a bit of fiddling. I guess an easier approach would be to grab these assets from the C2 ports of these levels, textures are already converted into TIFF files, and the level files should be easier to load.

Check who’s online