Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

Steering issues (C2)

The greatest unfinished sequel ever!
Geawiel
pedestrian

Steering issues (C2)

Post by Geawiel »

Has anyone had any issues using a keyboard to steer with? When I press the key down to turn, and then let go, the tires don't return to the forward position. Instead, they stay in the same position I stopped pressing the steering to (so say I went to 20 deg left steering angle, they stay there and I have to manually press the opposite way to return them to 0 deg.)

I'm having some sound issues as well. I got it to work once by installing and then uninstalling one of the fixes (can't remember which one.) I'm not that worried about the sound though. I usually listen to Clutch's self titled album. It seems to go great with this game.

For steering, I'm using a Logitech MK320 wireless keyboard. I'm running in W7(64). If I remember right, I had this keyboard issue with a completely different comp and using XP. Except then I had a joystick and it somewhat worked with that. I don't have a joystick right now to test with however (its buried in storage somewhere I think.)
Harmalarm
road raged psycho

Re: Steering issues (C2)

Post by Harmalarm »

I have no real experience with wireless keyboards used on carmageddon. My guess is that the wireless keyboard takes longer to communicate with the system, and the game is depending on a faster way of communicating? (sync issues?) I don't think the game was designed for wireless keyboards, don't think they even existed in 1998...

did you try plugging in a non-wireless keyboard to get rid of the problem?

sound issues are quite common in win7 from what I heard, but again... no experience myself. There are ton's of sound issue threads though, like the one below your posted topic... :cool:
Geawiel
pedestrian

Post by Geawiel »

I'll have to dig up a wired keyboard. I think I have one laying around for the kids computer. For sound, I tried all the fixes. I can get it to work but, it causes graphic issues. For some reason I'm able to show the game just fine without having to do anything. I get full screen and no graphical errors. I don't even have to use compatability mode. When I do the sound fix, it causes the game to play in a smaller window (about 25% smaller.) So, its a toss up between having the game run actual full screen or having sound.

Either way, I need to dig up my carma disk. I was doing test runs off of a d/l version but, it was in a foreign language so I uninstalled it yesterday. I'd rather run off of my disk anyway. I don't trust d/l games unless its legit (steam, ect.)
Geawiel
pedestrian

Post by Geawiel »

Just tried a wired keyboard and had the same issue with steering.
coffeycup
Genesis

Post by coffeycup »

I don't know, I've never heard of that happening before.
Geawiel
pedestrian

Post by Geawiel »

I'm going to try and pick up another joystick on Friday. When I used to play it I had the Logitech force feedback joystick (man I wish those still worked in W7.) My thinking is that a joystick will always be returned to zero after a turn, sending out the command to do so. A keyboard doesn't, as far as I know anyway.
random_monkey
motorized monkey

Post by random_monkey »

Probably a dumb question, just covering all the basis: You don't have sticky keys on, do you?
random_monkey
Geawiel
pedestrian

Post by Geawiel »

No I don't. The wheels will slowly return to center on their own but, it takes a good 30 secs or more. No question is too stupid question when it comes to troubleshooting either :wink:

Check who’s online