Dear returning Carmageddon fans Image

These last years, the CWA Board assimilated what was archived from many old Carmageddon forums, including the whole of the Official Carmageddon.com Forums.
If you wish to merge any previous account you might have had with your new or existing CWA account, don't hesitate to reach out to us !

BRender features I hope are implemented in Carma and ...

When the mayhem started! And its expansion pack made by interns!
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

BRender features I hope are implemented in Carma and ...

Post by Toshiba-3 »

... and we will be able to reach someday.

1. Vertex colours. They definitely are BRender features and should be defined per vertex in the DAT file. They are used if the material applied on the model is set to pre-lit.

in MODEL.H:

Code: Select all

typedef struct br_vertex {
	br_vector3 p;	/* Point in model space		*/
	br_vector2 map;	/* Mapping coordinates		*/

/*
	 * Index for prelit models
	 */
	br_uint_8 index;

/*
	 * true colour for pre-lit models
	 */
	br_uint_8 red;
	br_uint_8 grn;
	br_uint_8 blu;

/*
	 * Private fields
	 */
	br_uint_16 r;
	br_fvector3 n;	/* Surface normal at vertex	*/

} br_vertex;
See also the second entry in the member table:
https://rr2000.cwaboard.co.uk/R4/BRENDER ... HEADING333
Also br_vertex ofcourse:
https://rr2000.cwaboard.co.uk/R4/BRENDER/TEBK_80.HTM#0

2. Clip planes in ACT/CLP files. These are a type of BRender actors just like models, lights and cameras. If implemented like they are in PlayThing1 they could be used to great effect. So far I've been unable to include a CLP into an ACT to say, cut an actor in two for example.

See:
https://rr2000.cwaboard.co.uk/R4/BRENDER ... MARKER2_77

3. Surface normal at vertex?! If you give a second look at the excerpt from MODEL.H in point 1 above, you'll notice a br_fvector3 commented as Surface normal at vertex. Is this what we think it is?
However, while that bit of info appears in the BRender 1.2 OS/2 SDK, there is no mention of it in the 1.2 documentation.

4. Specifying a fog table in a material. Just like FOGDEMO exhibits, a way to set a specific fog table to a certain material. Such a feature doesn't appear in the SDK nor the documentation though. Carma still references index_fog, doesn't mean it's for use per material.
See:
https://www.cwaboard.co.uk/viewtopic.php ... 44#p105844

5. Screen door opacity in materials. Probably the one I'd like to get my hands on the most after vertex colours. This would enable opacity via a checkerboard effect, I guess. It seems like it's defined with tables in the structure of br_material in MATERIAL.H and meant to be a pixelmap too:

Code: Select all

/*
	 * Pointers to tables
	 */
	br_pixelmap *screendoor;		/* Screen door opacity  */

br_pixelmap *index_shade;		/* Index shading		*/
	br_pixelmap *index_blend;		/* Index blending		*/
Again while it's mentioned in the 1.2 SDK, the documentation doesn't mention it.
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction

Tags:
Toshiba-3
BRender Actor

Re: BRender features I hope are implemented in Carma and ...

Post by Toshiba-3 »

An update:

Vertex colour/normal, face colour/equation, newest model and materials and light formats, despite being part of the BRender version (v1.3.0) used in Carma1 and 2, were not implemented at all. Neither Carma will recognize their chunk IDs. This is the end of the dream..! Only the newest pixelmap format was implemented (3Dh).

Clip planes are implemented as the games make use of them, but they don't try to load external clip plane files at all (should have been in a CLIPPLAN folder).

Vertex normals, nope.

Fog table loaded through material is addressed in this topic: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=9644

Screendoor masks can be loaded in a material too via the chunk ID 20h. I don't know what format they are supposed to be in (1bit?), where they must be stored (probably in SHADETAB) or if they take effect in indexed mode at all.
Image / carmageddon add-ons at road reaction

Check who’s online